Rough Country front coil overs 2" lift N3 performance. Anyone install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If I dont like them, that's what they will become. lol

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If I dont like them, that's what they will become. lol
Which is perfect. Hell you could even run them and send the icons to be tweaked to hopefully suit your needs better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Which is perfect. Hell you could even run them and send the icons to be tweaked to hopefully suit your needs better.

That's an idea also.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That's an idea also.
After all the parts you've gone through I can imagine the frustration. There's always options but they come at a cost.

I don't remember 100% but the icons you're currently running are too stiff on road for you iirc?

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
After all the parts you've gone through I can imagine the frustration. There's always options but they come at a cost.

I don't remember 100% but the icons you're currently running are too stiff on road for you iirc?

In my opinion (key I guess), their stiff around town (pot holes, speed bumps etc) and soft on highway. Feels like a pogo stick on the highway. Added note, the rear Fox feel soft around town which I like, but a little stiff on highway. Reverse basically.
Yes, very frustrating. Arggg! lol

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They wont be installed until next week. But, here is another pic with measuring tape. I placed one end in the middle of bolt hole. Angle looks off, but its right there. Ill have side by side pics after installation.
Looks to be 23" from middle of bolt hole to top of hat (correct name?).

RC coiloverB.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
In my opinion (key I guess), their stiff around town (pot holes, speed bumps etc) and soft on highway. Feels like a pogo stick on the highway.
Yes, very frustrating. Arggg! lol
Ah yes now I remember our previous convo! That pogo effect still is bothersome to my brain a little. Best I can deduce is it's just the valving doesn't suit your preference. I've heard that icons do run a tad stiff on the smaller bumps for most applications, which gets annoying on daily use. How much preload is in the icons? And you have a hemi correct?

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ah yes now I remember our previous convo! That pogo effect still is bothersome to my brain a little. Best I can deduce is it's just the valving doesn't suit your preference. I've heard that icons do run a tad stiff on the smaller bumps for most applications, which gets annoying on daily use. How much preload is in the icons? And you have a hemi correct?

Honestly, with my back and neck issue most might not notice (wife doesn't) but I do. Hence my search for correct valving. lol

Preload was set from ICON. My mechanic didn't touch it. So, its at 2-2.5" forget from ICON.

Yes, I have the hemi, 4x4

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Honestly, with my back and neck issue most might not notice (wife doesn't) but I do. Hence my search for correct valving. lol

Preload was set from ICON. My mechanic didn't touch it. So, its at 2-2.5" forget from ICON.

Yes, I have the hemi, 4x4
Its your truck so you have the right to be picky, even more so with pre-existing conditions. How many miles did you put on those icons?

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Its your truck so you have the right to be picky, even more so with pre-existing conditions. How many miles did you put on those icons?

The whole truck has 20k. i'd guess 7k. Their still new to be honest. No offroad.
I posted another pic above. Just FYI

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The whole truck has 20k. i'd guess 7k. Their still new to be honest. No offroad.
Yea they're basically just broken in. It's the nature of the beast with aftermarket. Unfortunately this didn't work in your favor. I hope for your sake these RCs give you the comfort you're looking for.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yea they're basically just broken in. It's the nature of the beast with aftermarket. Unfortunately this didn't work in your favor. I hope for your sake these RCs give you the comfort you're looking for.

Thanks, me too!
I talked to RC and two different people said their linear shocks. I hope their right. RC hasn't been the best. But, seeing their trying to compete with Fox basic lineup and changed who they buy shocks from, they might be the valving I want. We'll know soon enough.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks, me too!
I talked to RC and two different people said their linear shocks. I hope their right. RC hasn't been the best, But, seeing their trying to compete with Fox basic lineup and changed who they buy shocks from, they might be the valving I want. We'll know soon enough.
They have a less than stellar reputation from the past, but as tech has progressed so has their product line. I for one, think theyve come a long way as a "big box" brand. For their price they are hard to beat and they have good customer service which makes taking care of issues pretty trouble free. In hind sight if these were available when I was in the market for a setup I'd be running these with their vertex (I believe) rear shocks. My truck doesn't see the dirt, and as much as I want my truck to be a raptor it's my equivalent to a prius. I have no qualms with my current setup, but moving forward if my 6112s take a dive on me it'll be nice to know how these are as an option.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Booked appointment. Offroad shop (cheapest) is 2 1/2 weeks out. And we wait. lol
Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Tech called. He said the shocks are 1" shorter than the ICONs. I remember seeing this being common on the RC shocks. I read their designed to ride closer to OEM length. Anyone read this also?

I did call Rough Country. Didn't really get the answer I was looking for. The sales guy wasn't to informed. He just said ICON and RC are designed different. Well, duh. I assume that. I wanted the "nerd" response with tech info. lol

UPDATE: I think ICON is a 2.5" lift and RC is a 2" lift. That's why one is longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
(deleted)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What shocks were shorter front or rear or both?

RC are shorter.

I think RC is a 2" lift and ICON is a 2.5". Might be why.

UPDATE: ^^ This is confirmed.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RC are shorter.

I think RC is a 2" lift and ICON is a 2.5". Might be why.
I see so the struts are shorter. Umm that is a surprise considering in other pictures the RC are longer than the stock struts. Icon COs can be lowered to 1.5” if you wanted. Don’t know how your shop might be measuring so who knows what’s going on. In any case that shouldn’t be an issue. Ask the guy if he can take some pics with the things side by side for reference.it might be the Icons are extended travel or simply like RC said they’re just a different design.

OP
OP
Ram7081

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I see so the struts are shorter. Umm that is a surprise considering in other pictures the RC are longer than the stock struts. Icon COs can be lowered to 1.5” if you wanted. Don’t know how your shop might be measuring so who knows what’s going on. In any case that shouldn’t be an issue. Ask the guy if he can take some pics with the things side by side for reference.it might be the Icons are extended travel or simply like RC said they’re just a different design.

Its a new shop. Yup, I asked for side by side pics.
If it sits lower in front, I might pull rear spacer out.