RPM Surge at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToboJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I have been experiencing some fluctuations in my RPMs while cruising at a constant speed on the highway. In cruise control and not in cruise, the RPMs will jump around 200 while I am going 50-75 mph. Every time I hit a bump in the road, they surge like I am pushing the gas pedal. The truck doesn't accelerate, it just revs the engine. The RPMs do not surge will idling. Not sure what the issue may be. I cleaned the throttle body a few months ago and there is no check engine light on. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like torque converter unlocking to me. It could be a million things but in my past its in the transmission somewhere, either the OD gear is slipping or the torque converter isnt locking up. Has it thrown a light? Im not sure what electronics they had back in 2002 to sense slip but its a start.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Kinda had the same deal, if you were to hammer down on the throttle doe sit slip or act up? mine did this... transmission **** the bed shortly after

OP
OP
T

ToboJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
There is no engine light that was triggered.

When I hammer the gas, the truck runs and picks up smoothly. The tranny shifts gears smoothly also. The only problem I am having is when I am cruising at a constant speed around 65mph, it will surge for a second and go back down every so often. It also happens when I hit a bump in the road.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Could be a bad spot in your TPS. Causing you converter to lock and unlock, Fairly common.
If you have higher miles would not be a bad idea to change it anyway. Recommend O.E.

OP
OP
T

ToboJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
The truck has 151,000 miles on it. So the TPS would be the place to start at? I have read that it there could be a faulty ground somewhere... not too sure where that could be though.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Without the equipment to diagnose it, yes I would start with replacing the TPS, relatively inexpensive. Easy to change

OP
OP
T

ToboJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
alright, i appreciate it. The truck idles at a low speed and very smoothly.

MF_MF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi fellas, I just started seeing this on my 2003 Ram, so as vault guy asked a few months ago, anybody find a solution for this?

At speeds over 70 mph, I'll see slight jumps in the engine RPMs, they only last a second. It'll jump from 2000 to 2200 RPM. I also noticed one of the posters mentioning it happened going over bumps...I noticed that correlation also.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I believe if you put the truck in tow mode (I think it disables OD) and it doesn't do it, then that is a pretty good indicator that it's the TPS. If it still does it, then might be the torque converter.