RTV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is Permatex Ultra Black pretty much the same thing as the Mopar RTV? Getting ready to change my tranny oil & don't want any leaks after putting the pan back on.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I used the permatex automatic transmission RTV on my mag hytec transmission pan— the gasket that came with the pan leaked. I let the permatex cure for 24 hours before filling also

Last edited:
OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks all... I figured it would be just fine. The Mopar is about twice as much, but I thought if it had some crazy additive that was only compatible with ATF+4 I would pay the extra.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm with Eastwesthemi, Permatex Transmission RTV on all my transmission rebuilds with no leaks, knock on wood.

Permatex ultra grey RTV for intake manifold and copper RTV on my headers. my vehicles may be a good percentage RTV I guess.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
With that Mag hytec pan I couldn’t keep the bolts tight when I was using the gasket they provided and was constantly getting a drip at the rear of the pan. Once I installed with Permatex auto tranny RTV it hasn’t leaked a drop and the bolts have stayed tight.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I looked into these and settle with high temp orange compatible with tranny fluid. Also, you really want to let it cure overnight before adding liquid. Actually worked wonders even on my buddies thermo housing that stripped a bolt on. Just clamped and let sit over night, no leaks.

Funny as hell, my buddy stripped the bolt trying to tighten a gasket into place. It kept leaking he went past torque limit trying to stop leak. I would never use gasket anymore, rtv way to go. Follow directions on bottle, let dry an hour in open air, go around bolt holes, tighten loosly, let sit overnight, torque bolts, this is very forgiving if you follow instr.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think the instructions are overlooked frequently. I think a lot of failures come from the 'just smear it on and bolt up' technique. letting it partially dry, install partially, then torque next day has not failed in years.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
  1. Apply a continuous and even bead of silicone to one surface; surround all bolt holes. Assemble parts immediately. Finger tighten bolts until material begins to squeeze out around flange. Allow to cure for one hour then retighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
  2. For best results, allow to cure overnight.————————- This is how I did it, has seemed to work according to the instructions. It was pretty difficult laying under the truck and setting the tranny pan up. I took a couple of nails with a fat head and slipped them into two of the bolts holes on the tranny from the top, it helped me get a better alignment as I held the pan with one hand and started threading bolts with the other. I didn’t feel good with my first try and abandoned it, scrapped all the RTV off and tried again.