Rust...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyinb501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm so bummed out. While detailing my 2014 ram I found this rust in the left rear fender lip. My first thought is to sand it off treat with rust reformer and repaint. It looks like in the worst spot it's getting awfully close the the outside visible part of the fender though so I'm kind of freaking out. Anyone else have this What would you do?

20190617_164322.jpg

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sand, Rust treatment, rock Gaurd and fender flares.

Yep that's what I did. Take out fender liner and sandblasted the **** out of it. Put on a Rust encapsulator and primed and painted with a can of factory paint and then put on fender flares. You want to stop it now

20190604_123503.jpg

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but its already to late once you spotted it like this. They rot from the inside to the outside. (sorry again, but its made from chinese recycled metal - it is what it is)
Even if you fix it, it`ll come back, and with each time, it will be worse. Nice thing about it is, is that they still make new trucks everyday, out of the same garbage metals.

You`ll never stop it from rusting... As others have said, sand it, treat it, paint it, move on and live with it, or, buy a new truck.

OP
OP
F

flyinb501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ugh so disappointing.. I just bought it a year ago and really like the truck. It in great condition.

So why the fender flares? Just to cover the rust up for when it comes back?

What fender flares do you guys recommend that look good with the factory wheels and tires?

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ugh so disappointing.. I just bought it a year ago and really like the truck. It in great condition.

So why the fender flares? Just to cover the rust up for when it comes back?

What fender flares do you guys recommend that look good with the factory wheels and tires?

Yep, fender flares do 2 things, makes you look priddy goin down the road, and they nicely mask the rust thats coming that you`ll never see, until its way to late.
Fender flares hold dirt and moisture between the flare and the body metal... bad idea. But, your truck, your choice. I learned MY lesson long ago with them.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
That's why you rock Gaurd between truck and the flare. No problems with moisture then.

OP
OP
F

flyinb501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Line-X the rough rubber coating like you find in the box of your truck.
i don't understand how that would look. My truck is white so i don't want to see black where the flares meet the side of the truck

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I noticed a real faint just at back edge. Fluid filmed inside fender. To keep from spreading

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My 2013 started to bubble on the drivers side bedside. A buddy owns a very reputable body shop told me the warranty only covers rust from the inside out but by the time there is a hole there is no way to prove it started on the inside. I took mine to the local dealer and they took pictures when it was still just bubbled and FCA approved a whole new bedside under warranty. This was about 2017. I think I had about 45,000 miles on it. My passenger side still looked like new. The bottom side of my lip was rsuted pretty good with just the2 bubbles on the outside

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
You can see the spot welds where the rust is in those pictures

Once you take out the plastic wheel well liners , you will see the inner rear quarter support that is spot welded to the bedside on both sides

Spray inside that support from the backside thru the open spaces with fluid film and plastic wands , spray the hell out of it between the support structure and bedside

It will drip down and coat the areas you can’t reach

Helps to remove the rear tires and jack up the frame

You will see once everything is removed

Start there first

My 2011 is spotless and I live in WI

Jack D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My driver's side wheel well looks like the OP's . I like the idea of sanding..painting and flares . What is the smallest ( narrow ) fender flare available ?