Rust...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Remove the rust, spray epoxy primer (not that rust reformer crap) & paint.
Spray in between the panels cavity wax.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Trade in on a hot new truck.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk
exactly what I just did
2012 had rust on roof above windshield. Going to cost a fortune to fix and very likely to break glass getting it out at my cost.
15% rebates, 10% dealer discount and my trade didn't need much cash and got me a new Warlock !

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
would it be best for us in the salt states to take off wheel well liners for the winter? I would imagine they hold quite a bit of salt crap up in there.

demort71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You evidently live in the Midwest or a humid climate. This area is rusting from the inside out. It wasn't rock chips that did this unfortunately or you could fix it like you envisioned. This wheel lip is where 2 panels join up and are spot welded together. One side of the metal lip of the wheel opening and the wheel house lip didn't get any primer or paint before they were spot welded together at the factory. So eventually humidity and maybe a little winter road salt caught up with it. I fixed the wheel lip and the area above the wheel lip opening on the bed (that always rusts out in humid climates) myself on my 04 Ram and 06 Dakota. Bought both of them used within the last five years. You have to do some pretty extensive metal repair/metal replacement to fix it for a long term repair or fix. Now you can just sand down and repaint the exterior of the wheel lip and that will get you by for a few years, but it's going to continue rusting from the inside out. Throwing the wheel opening guards will hide that from your sight-that's all that does. What you need to do is drill out the spot welds and pry apart this seam, then sand and or use a rust escapsulator product (I use Eastwood's and like it), then weld back up (plug weld or spot weld if you have the proper equipment). Before welding, spray a weld-through primer on the inside of both metal surfaces, especially on spots where you intend to weld the lips together. This special primer puts down a barrier at each spot weld. The primer re-melts around the spot weld after it is heated up from the weld and seals the area. Welding will burn and ruin regular paint and primer and make it ineffective. You can buy the weld through primer in a can from several sources, including local auto parts and paint stores. Good luck. This a proper panel repair of the area without replacing the whole bed side and wheel housing. At least it has worked for me. The Dakota is still looking good without a guard after being repaired three years. No bubbling or popping. I don't have a mig or tig, so my repairs were brazed with brass. It's an older metal weld repair method, but it works if done properly and is fine for just a panel repair. You just have to control heat warpage on flat surfaces. A Mig setup runs about $400-$500 with shielding gas if you don't have one. Otherwise its going to cost a couple of thousand to have a shop do it for you. Good luck! The truck in my picture on the left is a Maxwell, taken a century ago! FYI

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
The USA put a man on the moon-how many years ago? And no one can design a fender joint that won't rust? Ha ha! I would certainly pay a lot extra for a SS body, but I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting.
Mike

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
The USA put a man on the moon-how many years ago? And no one can design a fender joint that won't rust? Ha ha! I would certainly pay a lot extra for a SS body, but I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting.
Mike

the moon analogy applies to many things in life. quite sad really.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Are you talking rock guard spray paint ? Any brand that you have used and prefer? Thanks.
On the outside panels line-X is the only way to go. On the inner panels and wheel wells I do gator Gaurd. Gator Gaurd you can apply yourself, line-X is a professional application.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Mike
SS body would be bad ass. They could make stuff that doesn't rust hit then fca wouldn't make any money because it would last too long. **** they can't even fix their damn exhaust manifolds!!

Scott Nugent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the corrosionfree product. DIY kit makes it affordable. The undercarriage on my 13 looks new after 6 midwest winters.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just have to say..finally..cause i've done it like 50 times. everytime i see the title of this thread, I think "Never Sleeps".

Old guy or Neil Young fans get it. Rest of ya, never mind:D

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm so bummed out. While detailing my 2014 ram I found this rust in the left rear fender lip. My first thought is to sand it off treat with rust reformer and repaint. It looks like in the worst spot it's getting awfully close the the outside visible part of the fender though so I'm kind of freaking out. Anyone else have this What would you do?

View attachment 170344
looks like it had fender flares on it before-why else are those screws there-and it looks like someone did a little custom f-up with the cut in the metal-we are not getting the full story here!!DSC00561.JPG

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
your only option at this point is to sand -paint with tremclad or similar and put on fender flares. Your truck is so new still and I cant see why this happened in the first place. My 2012 is still mint and I live in the salt belt.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I think the RAM rust warranty is 5 years 50,000 miles. not sure where you are in that but mine was 4 years old with 49,000 miles and they replaced my bedside under warranty on my 2013

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think the RAM rust warranty is 5 years 50,000 miles. not sure where you are in that but mine was 4 years old with 49,000 miles and they replaced my bedside under warranty on my 2013

it has to be a rust through perforation though, by the warranty (unless you find a dealer who can get it pushed through?) that doesn't look like a perforation to me. never mind it appears caused in conjunction with the flares. But worth a try I guess.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My father in law just spent $7000 on rust repair on his 2010 Tradesman. Rocker panels, cab corners and bed sides and both bumpers. Pretty pathetic for a 2010 if you ask me.

I hope my 2016 lasts longer but we do live in the rust belt.

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm so bummed out. While detailing my 2014 ram I found this rust in the left rear fender lip. My first thought is to sand it off treat with rust reformer and repaint. It looks like in the worst spot it's getting awfully close the the outside visible part of the fender though so I'm kind of freaking out. Anyone else have this What would you do?

View attachment 170344

I have it in the same spot plus the bottom edge of the tailgate. I had the hood replaced under warranty before it ran out.

2013 RAM 1500 SLT 110K KMS

Jack D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was past the 5 year ' in service date ' so isn't going to be covered .

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
looks like it had fender flares on it before-why else are those screws there-and it looks like someone did a little custom f-up with the cut in the metal-we are not getting the full story here!!View attachment 171067

Screws

I guess you never removed the plastic wheel well liners