S&b cai

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering what if any loss in performance have you guys seen running the s&b intake instead of the vararam. As I've read those seem to be the best to options for a 4th gen ram and most say the vararam is as good as it gets. I however don't want to use the vararam being I live in sw pa and have very harsh weather so it seems there could be issues running the vararam which is why I've opted for the s&b intake and I was wanting to know if I would be giving up very much performance even though it don't matter vararam is out of the question until this truck becomes a toy and not my daily driver and family truckster

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless you are drag racing I don't think youll "feel" much of a performance difference and even then it'll show on the time slip rather than seat of the pants.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't get too caught up in the hype,,,

If you race/live on the track, 0-60 / 1/4 mile might be important. Otherwise, without a timepiece or some other form of measure, you'll most likely never know the difference

Also keep in mind that fractions of a second can just as easily be lost by the driver, regardless of what he's driving.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
We tested the Vararam and S&B on the track on the same night, and the Vararam was .1 faster than the S&B. That's not a difference you will feel on the street. It does add up at the track, but for everyday driving, you will be happy with the S&B.

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is the fit & finish on the s&b? I'm considering one for my 15.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We tested the Vararam and S&B on the track on the same night, and the Vararam was .1 faster than the S&B. That's not a difference you will feel on the street. It does add up at the track, but for everyday driving, you will be happy with the S&B.

How this test was done? one run for each or something like 3 for each and average the results?

Was the stock box compared as well?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
How this test was done? one run for each or something like 3 for each and average the results?

Was the stock box compared as well?

We did this back in December of 2012 and made 2 runs with the stock intake, 2 runs with a K&N, 2 runs with an S&B, 2 runs with the Vararam, and then 2 runs with the stock box again just to make sure weather wasn't a big factor. Temp only changed about 8* from start to finish. Results were an average of the 2 runs with each intake, but the truck was very consistent (each run with the same intake was within hundredths of each other). Truck was a 2012 Crew cab 2wd with an 85mm throttle body as the only other mod on the truck.

Results are below...

Stock intake ran 15.2
K&N ran 15.1
S&B ran 14.9
Vararam ran 14.8

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Great info Matt!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Believe me! I am NOT a shill for S&B intakes. I can tell you for sure, it did a lot more for my 2012 6 speed than it does for my 2014 8 speed

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fit is on par.

Sound is nasty when you get on it. (Good nasty, not bad nasty)

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ty

Well I intend to take it to the track occasionally but being its my family ride for now the s&b is the way I'm going for now. I have a nice setup truck wise for my taste QCSB 2wd so maybe in a few years I'll get more involved with it like hemi450 but until it's a toy I need reliable family ride upgrades