Same Price: Eco Diesel or 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Let’s quit ******* in the wind here and talk about the $3,500 difference.

How long do you plan on financing the truck? Let’s go with 5 years (or 60 months) which is the “average” for truck.

At $2.00 / gallon that’s just over 53 fill-ups of a 33 gallon tank.

At 2.9% APR (average) this is an extra $3,889.78 in interest over 60 months. You’ve paid twice for the EcoD.

Add the higher frequency and cost of maintenance to the vehicle.

If you plan on keeping the truck longer than 5 years, go for the EcoD. If you plan on trading in 3-5 years, go with the Hemi.

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

How long do you plan on financing the truck? Let’s go with 5 years (or 60 months) which is the “average” for truck.

At 2.9% APR (average) this is an extra $3,889.78 in interest over 60 months. You’ve paid twice for the EcoD.

If you plan on keeping the truck longer than 5 years, go for the EcoD. If you plan on trading in 3-5 years, go with the Hemi.

In canadian

Diesel usually. 95 cents
89 octane 1.15 cents
98l tank

My ecodiesel does 1190 a tank about 100 bux
My hemi on the same route 750km 135 dollar fill ups

Then theirs resale values

Hemi won't get much after 4 years ecodiesel will get a lot more resale at same age km

OP
OP
U

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
One issue with the Eco is I won't be driving it as much. I full time telework and hardly leave the house. 1 weekend a month for camping. I have read short drives are bad for the engine

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD

I am looking at 48 OTD for both, so price is the same. I am just worried about issues with the diesel and not driving it often enough

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Have you driven both? I couldn't believe how much more I preferred the Eco's drivability over the Hemi. I've owned both and sure, I miss that Hemi rumble and pinning myself back in the seat every once in a while, but the Eco isn't necessarily a slouch. At this point in my life, I've grown to appreciate the low end grunt and great MPG's over the need for speed. I got a solid 16mpgs pulling 8800lbs through town and my Hemi rarely got 16 empty. My Eco has just barely broke 10k miles so don't drive mine much either. When I do however, the drive is usually 50+ miles and the engine gets good and hot. I think the Gen2's like mine need to get hot so the short drives aren't as good for it. I know they did some modifications to the EGR on the Gen3 so not sure about that one. Like someone else stated, the resale value of the Eco is higher but depending on the hemi's extra options, that may be a wash. Were it me, and knowing that I was going to tow, I would give the Eco a good look. I think you're good no matter what choice you make.

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You guys are all getting ripped I wouldn't buy a ram unless it was 0 percent for 7 years or 1 percent for 8

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would ignore the cost factor completely; everybody has different purchase prices, different driving usage, different gas/diesel prices, and you need to work your own numbers if cost is the deciding factor.

The main thing about ED is how it drives (IMO). Some people get addicted to that low end torque, some people hate the turbo lag, some people like the hemi roar, some people hate downshifts or higher revs while towing. Some people get nervous about ED reliability, some don't care because they don't keep it long enough etc etc. However, do note that ED need to be driven, they cannot make only short trips.

If the ED is more expensive (and we know it is, so either the dealer is nuts or there is more than one difference b/n those 2 trucks), but you like it anyway, then get it. It's like buying leather seats or a panoramic sunroof or anyother option that you like but costs money.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One issue with the Eco is I won't be driving it as much. I full time telework and hardly leave the house. 1 weekend a month for camping. I have read short drives are bad for the engine

I am looking at 48 OTD for both, so price is the same. I am just worried about issues with the diesel and not driving it often enough

You're kind of saying two different things with these two posts, although you hit upon the truth in your first. It's not so much an issue with how often you drive it. It's more of an issue of how long you drive for when you do drive it. Short trips don't seem to be good for the Eco. From what I've read, that engine seems to be better suited for longer trips, as are most diesel engines.
Lol, the EGR issue

As far as I know it's an issue for all diesel engines. They don't like having the exhaust gasses re-routed back through the engine.

Mullyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Had 5.7 and now eco diesel. you won't like the turbo lag in eco and mileage was only 17 my hemi got 12 eco is worthless in 4 wheel dr as you can't go slow over the rocks as turbos don't kick in and when they do you have to rocked over everything. Will not get another

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am all about the Hemi. Not a fan of the eco diesel in stock form it was slowwwwww.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
The Eco is a totally Fiat engine. The Pentastar and Hemi are Chrysler/Mercedes engines. That's my only caveat. Too much experience with Fiats in the 60s and 70s.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I have not read the entire thread so excuse me if I am in some way redundant. I tow ~6000# with my Eco and would never go back to gas. The truck runs smoother, cooler and at far less rpm's than my gasser did. My towing mpg's increased 50%+ over my gasser. Some will say maintenance costs so much more, I say not really. I do a complete oil change, depending on how much I pay for oil, for around $65 DIY. BTW that is every 10K miles! Fuel filter, Mopar is the only one I use, is $35-$40 every 20K miles. For my towing and every day driving need the Eco is the only truck I have found to do it all with no sweat.
Good luck on your search.
Canyon

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
The TFL guys took both up a hill with a decent sized trailer.
HEMI got to the top first, but diesel was quieter and used less fuel.
HEMI 7.42minutes @ 4.7MPG
EcoDiesel 8.43 minutes @5.4MPG

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
There are valid points on both sides for gas or diesel. It comes down to your application and needs.

Another real world example is GM’s 3.0L diesel in their 1500’s. Some live it some hate it and there’s no in between. Ram has reworked the EcoD and it’s a good engine, for the proper use case. The Hemi is a great engine. It’s a known quantity and will serve you well.

Personally, I wouldn’t own a 1/2 or 3/4 ton diesel as I’ve got no use case for either and the payload isn’t sufficient for my needs. If I tow “heavy” I’m using my Peterbilt but not everyone has a tractor available to them.

Your mileage may vary here so consider your needs and use case then make your decision. We will be happy for you regardless of which you choose.

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
One other thing to consider is interest

I got 1 percent on my ecodiesel for 7.5 years

2.99 is a rip off

My hemi was 2.99 and I would spend 345 canadian every two weeks but at 2.99 its almost 170 dollars in interest a month

So I would pay 690 with only 520 ever hitting the balance

My new truck is like 40 dollars in interest a month much more manageable with a 950 pmt 910 hits the balance every month

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Eco is a totally Fiat engine. The Pentastar and Hemi are Chrysler/Mercedes engines. That's my only caveat. Too much experience with Fiats in the 60s and 70s.

No it isn't. It was originally co-developed by GM for use in Cadillac. It's under the third revision now, but the roots/base is definitely not Fiat.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well looking at the price difference, look at the problems that are well documented.

I ordered my 2015 Ecodiesel Longhorn Rambox Crewcab 4wd Air Suspension
Every time we pulled our TT we got a service engine light
48,000 on truck

took the settlement money upgraded to bigger brother
2019-2500 Megacab Longhorn Rambox 4wd
Cummins

if you get a good one stock
You are lucky , if you get a bad one they are really BAD