Saw my Trans Temp soar to 274* today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How did the transmission shop do you fluid change? If they ran the torque converter dry, they could have ruined it. I find it fishy this happened soon after the transmission service.

No, it wasn’t soon after. I did the pan and service 10k miles ago, 2 years ago.

I didn’t pump out the old fluid though, I just drained and added it. I think it took 8 quarts when I filled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ok 10k miles ago, but have you paid attention to tranny temps that time?

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok 10k miles ago, but have you paid attention to tranny temps that time?

I don’t know. I do check through those gauges especially on long trips and I don’t remember seeing temps near that.
I know I’ve never had a code for it, like this time.
Last summer I drove it 6 hours straight towing my 5x10 trailer with a 1500lb safe on the trailer and although I don’t remember the exact temps, I know they weren’t at an alarming rate like the time we are talking about.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well what can you really do if you aren't taking it to a mechanic?

Well, I feel for ya, if you do nothing your transmission wont last much longer. If it were me I would take it to a transmission shop and ask their opinion, they can test pressure at the line and see if that is an issue. They likely will have info on common and easy fixes as well. Even if you drop a couple hundred, it will be cheaper then leaving it at that temp.

Options w/o taking it to a trans shop-

lower exhaust pipes from pan, or at least check that as a source

drop pan options
Change to ester fluid and both filters
new valve body- mise well upgrade sharadon or similar
change solenoid

add after market transmission cooler- but if your tc or solenoid is failing this likely wont help.

dunno just brainstorming.... I'd likely drop a couple hundred at a tranny shop. My 2010 religiously operates at 136F even when towing my landscape trailer. I would be ok with it as high as 220F, but at those temps I would either go to shop or start doing **** to see if I could get t down. And I would pay attention every day to the temps. Good luck brother, Burla

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well what can you really do if you aren't taking it to a mechanic?

Well, I feel for ya, if you do nothing your transmission wont last much longer. If it were me I would take it to a transmission shop and ask their opinion, they can test pressure at the line and see if that is an issue. They likely will have info on common and easy fixes as well. Even if you drop a couple hundred, it will be cheaper then leaving it at that temp.

Options w/o taking it to a trans shop-

lower exhaust pipes from pan, or at least check that as a source

drop pan options
Change to ester fluid and both filters
new valve body- mise well upgrade sharadon or similar
change solenoid

add after market transmission cooler- but if your tc or solenoid is failing this likely wont help.

dunno just brainstorming.... I'd likely drop a couple hundred at a tranny shop. My 2010 religiously operates at 136F even when towing my landscape trailer. I would be ok with it as high as 220F, but at those temps I would either go to shop or start doing **** to see if I could get t down. And I would pay attention every day to the temps. Good luck brother, Burla

Thanks for the help!

I think I’m going to pull the pan down and change the filters, and check to see if anything is impeding the flow somehow. Then, I was going to pump old fluid out while adding new fluid using the cooler line.
I was thinking about upgrading the valve body and adding the connector to boost line pressure and see how it goes.
I’d like to swap to a better converter as that’s my best knowledgeable guess as to why I’m seeing elevated temps.

Spending all this loot trying to find the prob when I can have that shop in Delaware build a trans for $2500 with converter.

Trying to weigh my options. Spend $1k doing first option or just build trans for $2500.....?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are going to let them rebuild it, you mise well let it fail, at least wait until it is slipping.