SCT vs. Diablo vs. ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have experience with Superchips, Hypertech, SCT and F.A.S.T.

Obviously for my setup FAST is off the list, I don't need standalone.

Although I will need something to help compensate for towing, from what it looks like the Tow/haul switch in the cab is basically like an OD/ on-off switch.

Sean (hemifever) and Ryan (FlyinRyan) have both did tune work for my Dakota, but it's a 360, not a Hemi.

What's the overall best tuner for some simple tow tunes?

I read a few other posts on here, and it seems like many think that the factory got these things perfect out the door. I don't know if I agree with that, every motor is different, along with castings, etc. To many variables to say these things are are best from factory.

I guess my real question is can I get by with a canned tuner or should I go with the SCT custom tuning? I already have unlimited tunes setup with Sean and Ryan, but will have to buy a new SCT unit.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
You can do custom tunes with Diablo. That's what Sean uses and knows the HEMI well.

I'm still new to the mopar world but I haven't read many people getting customs tunes with SCT's. I know there good but there main customers are FORDS.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would just to get a custom tune for towing. That would be a waste of money to me. I don't think you would see any gains like you would a diesel or something.

OP
OP
User

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do custom tunes with Diablo. That's what Sean uses and knows the HEMI well.

I'm still new to the mopar world but I haven't read many people getting customs tunes with SCT's. I know there good but there main customers are FORDS.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would just to get a custom tune for towing. That would be a waste of money to me. I don't think you would see any gains like you would a diesel or something.

Hmm, I thought Sean did SCT. Shows how much I know about the Hemi world. Custom tuning with the SCT is real big over at the Dakota R/T club, along with Megasquirt. SCT has came a long way with Dodge, and a few good tuners that bothered to learn the software/code to get our 360s tuned really helped. A few years ago we couldn't even run big cams, unless we used a standalone / piggy back, just in the last few years has it really opened up the tuning options and we are finally seeing trucks getting into the 9s and 10s a lot easier.

With a good tuner, and good data logging you can really push every last inch of power out of the motors, stock or not. Most tuners allow for more than 1 custom tune to be stored on the device, I would have a tow tune, track tune, and a daily tune. I don't need the extra timing and 93 octane daily, but when I get to the track I will, this is all assuming the Dakota takes a **** during the points races.

You probably notice the difference with diesels because they are tuning for forced induction, lol. Hell yeah they will see better results than a NA motor.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, Sean's tunes are excellent. The majority of guys on here with a tune have his.

cajunhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had Hypertech on my 03 s/c Hemi. Used SCT on 02 Mustang GT. Mopar computer on my 99 Dak R/T. Local custom tuning on my 04 GMC SLT. Seans 93 octane tunes on my 13 s/c Hemi. I like the availability of upgrading tune with an email. Much simpler than scheduling and paying for shop time with upgrades. Cant go wrong, Sean is prompt with answering questions, providing service.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
My wife has SCT with a Five Star tune (93 octane) on her 13 Expedition and it is pretty good. My Hemifever tune (93 also) pulled my camper like it was nothing the other day. Awesome. My trans temps never got over 170 degrees and it was 100 degrees outside and I was pulling in hills and up around 70 mph a lot of that time. Pulled it for 4 hours. It isn't a tow tune, just performance.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish there was a cheaper option of just mailing my computer to someone to get a tune flashed to it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I wish there was a cheaper option of just mailing my computer to someone to get a tune flashed to it.

Tell me about it.

It's BS how mopar locks these PCMs and you have to buy a $500 tuner then spend another $150 just for a custom tune.

I can tune a infinite number of Grand Prixs with $150 software I have on my laptop.