Security or GPS tracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking about security on a couple of my vehicles with my Ram being one of them. First I thought of some kind of kill switch but if someone really wants to steal something they will figure it out. Then I was thinking about GPS. At least if it gets stolen maybe it can be recovered. Anyone running a hidden GPS that is a one time fee and not a monthly cost?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If they don't have a repo truck

If they don't have a truck, they usually have this

If they can't move it, they enter & strip it
Those long reach tools are every where, i would almost bet at least one of your neighbors has one.
My long time neighbors have caught me in my garage to borrow my set of gadgets

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I like the idea but I don't have any apple products. Plus you have to hope the thief does too right?
Google has the Nest Locator Tag coming out this summer, it will similar to the AirTag.
When using an Apple AirTag to track your own vehicle, it's a good idea to disable the built-in speaker.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I like the idea but I don't have any apple products. Plus you have to hope the thief does too right?

I use for my dog Yip tracker for Samsung. Like the Apple version, yes someone near by has to have a Samsung for it to communicate. It is pretty accurate and has an audible alarm too that you can set off from your phone. It is powered by a button battery for a year. It is only $25-$30 and at the very least is a good back up plan in my opinion. No monthly charge. All you need is the Samsung app.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If a thief snatched your vehicle & you have an Apple Tag, they could use their phone app to discover if an Air Tag is nearby.

The same thing with TILE MATE.

....................................................................................
Just recently, a woman was lost, i don't recall whether she was injured or what.
She did not have cell reception.

A search party was sent out, someone thought to turn the Apple APP on & because of that, the woman was found

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If a thief snatched your vehicle & you have an Apple Tag, they could use their phone app to discover if an Air Tag is nearby.

The same thing with TILE MATE.

....................................................................................
Just recently, a woman was lost, i don't recall whether she was injured or what.
She did not have cell reception.

A search party was sent out, someone thought to turn the Apple APP on & because of that, the woman was found

If he's that tech savvy, the would be thief would scan the vehicle first and detect an air tag and totally skip stealing your truck all together since he would never find it hidden!!!
We can theorize all night.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Samsung and Tile have similar products.

Any passing phone (of the same brand) in Bluetooth range will locate the tag. About 100-150’ in my experience. I figure the Apple ecosystem is bigger than Samsung and far bigger than Tile users.

But it’s not a good choice if you’re android.

PS, thieves can’t scan for other people’s tags as was suggested. Doesn’t work that way.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Should an unknown AirTag be tracking you you will see an alert that will state: “AirTag Found Moving With You”. Apple will invite you to open the Find My app on your iPhone to go through various options to disable the tracking and locate the AirTag

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca