Short bed 5th Wheel hitch options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I am getting ready to order what I hope will be the last new truck I ever buy. I'm almost 65, retiring soon, and buying a used 5th wheel camper or toy hauler. The truck I am spec'ing out is a 2022 Ram 3500 Tradesman 6.5' bed, HO Cummins, Aisin trans, 3.73 rear with gooseneck/fifth wheel prep. I would prefer a short bed for the looks and maneuverability when not hooked up to the 5'er. I really don't think we will be buying anything heavier than 15k lbs but want to keep my options open.

My question is should I order the hitch with the truck? Right now my dealer is ordering trucks at invoice so the standard Mopar (Reese) hitch would cost me $989 on the build order. I guess with the short bed I will need a slider or the Reese Sidewinder? Not sure what my best option is. I do like the idea of the Sidewinder...would that be better than a sliding hitch?

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had two Ram 3500 trucks and I used a Reese Slider in both of the pulling a 15000 fifth wheel 35' camper. The hitch was easy to slide in both directions and when I had it in the rear position for backing into a site it worked great. I never came close to having the camper against the truck body. My hitch was rated higher than my loaded weight but it was not called a sidewinder, It has been a while as I now have a TT towed by a Power Wagon

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The Mopar branded hitches are made by Curt. Get the 5th wheel prep kit installed and then get the slider of your choice.

The Sidewinder pin box or Turning Point pin boxes from what I've seen work well and make the pivot point further back behind the tailgate.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
OP here...I'm seriously thinking about just ordering the 8' box, seems like a lot less hassle. Until I go to park it at the grocery store :gr_grin:

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the two 3500 trucks I had I am very happy they were short beds for everyday around town. Sliders work just like they are made to, a flip of a lever, move it and lock it in place. Never had any issues towing both on and off road or with maneuvering or backing. Unless it was a tight spot for parking on a site most of the time I did not even need to slide the hitch to the rear.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I was considering the short bed and trying the Reese Sidewinder...I like the concept. Ram is now using Curt 5th wheels and the "Q" models that you can order on the build sheet are not compatible with the Sidewinder. It looks like I would be around $2500 to make the short bed setup the way I want...or for an extra $200 go with the long bed.
Hmmmm....

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I was considering the short bed and trying the Reese Sidewinder...I like the concept. Ram is now using Curt 5th wheels and the "Q" models that you can order on the build sheet are not compatible with the Sidewinder. It looks like I would be around $2500 to make the short bed setup the way I want...or for an extra $200 go with the long bed.
Hmmmm....
I've looked at the Sidewinder pin boxes, something to think about when I was looking myself, the Sidewinders range anywhere from $1000 on up for just the pin box, if the 5'ver doesn't have one already. It depends on the 5'vers weight/size for the pin box you would need. Then get the Reese hitch that will work with it, if that's what you would need to make it work.

Or just get an auto-slide hitch that will work and not worry about it. Or just a regular slider hitch and use when needed

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I really like my B&W slider hitch. Very sturdy hitch, but because it is so sturdy it weighs a lot! After I check in with the front gate at a campground I automatically slide my hitch back. Takes less than 15 seconds & I don't want to take any chances. And I have been in some spots that every inch was needed.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the factory 5W prep and with the MOPAR adapter and Pullrite auto slider it’s been a good combination.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
OP here...I'm seriously thinking about just ordering the 8' box, seems like a lot less hassle. Until I go to park it at the grocery store :gr_grin:
I regret not ordering the 8-foot box when I ordered my 3500. At first, I used the B&W hitch, a very nice hitch, and quite, easy hook up too. After two cab/cap hits, I went to an auto-slider hitch. More difficult to hook up and noisy. As far as the longer truck and parking, my wife and I always park way out from the store just to avoid dings and also to increase our exercise. If I order a new tow vehicle, I will get the long bed.

OP, if you are staying under 20,000 pounds of tow weight, I would not add the extra expense of the HO option. Take the funds and up the trim level since you will be spending a lot of time in the cabin. The seating quality of the Limited or Longhorn trims is exceptional and worth a look to see if it is for you.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm a little bias for a real size 8' bed since my tool/fuel box wouldn't fit in a little bed truck BUT......
What 5er do you have or are considering? Many of them now have the front cap corners notched out for shortbed truck cab clearance so no slider is needed. So often this topic comes up on RV forums and many post that they have a slider but never even used it, it's just not needed.
Also I'd consider not ordering the 5er hitch from RAM but instead after getting the 5er, replace the pinbox with a Reese Goosebox. This frees up bedspace and only requires a ball in the bed.
Safe travels.

TBONE 2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go for the longbed, it gives you more stability and a better ride on long trips. The tradesmen version will give you more payload Then upgrading Trim levels.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Well I did it. I decided to order the long bed...and for an additional $1,176 I added the dual rear wheels. I figured as long as I am going to have the wheelbase of the crew cab and long box I might as well go all in. Tradesman Dually Crew Cab 8' bed in Delmonico Red, HO diesel, Aisin trans, Level 2 equipment group, 8.4 screen with Nav. with gave me dual zone temp control. Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck prep, Max Tow Package, 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Bed Utility Group. I will probably never need the extra capability but I'll never wish I could tow more lol. Hopefully this truck will carry me into an age where I shouldn't be driving it anymore.:eek:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Well I did it. I decided to order the long bed...and for an additional $1,176 I added the dual rear wheels. I figured as long as I am going to have the wheelbase of the crew cab and long box I might as well go all in. Tradesman Dually Crew Cab 8' bed in Delmonico Red, HO diesel, Aisin trans, Level 2 equipment group, 8.4 screen with Nav. with gave me dual zone temp control. Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck prep, Max Tow Package, 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Bed Utility Group. I will probably never need the extra capability but I'll never wish I could tow more lol. Hopefully this truck will carry me into an age where I shouldn't be driving it anymore.:eek:
Good for you! My first crewcab long bed was a 1987 and never looked back. Love my current truck! It will serve you well being on the road. And for parking spots, park a little further away and back in the spot upto a curb. You'll be fine. Safe travels!

TBONE 2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice Choice, There is nothing like Dually wheels when pulling 5th wheel or travel trailer. Have safe travels.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Nice Choice, There is nothing like Dually wheels when pulling 5th wheel or travel trailer. Have safe travels.
Thanks TBONE. I'll be spending this coming winter in your area, just south of Three Points, AZ

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great looking truck. I hope it gives you many wonderful years of happy towing. If I were still pulling a5th wheel I would still be using a Dually.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
You done good sir, congrats, I went with the LB and love towing with it already.