Shown Me Your Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you jbyron for the pictures, I know the pickings are slim for regular cabs. The Mopar ones look very nice on your truck. Just really on the fence about them since I have found myself by passing steps/bars getting in & out of trucks with them. Then I end up with the back of my pants rubbing against them. I'm sure it is just a learning curve to using them.
Thanks again for the picture.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are "Big Rig Ice Lights" by Recon. They're not tailgate bars, they are specifically designed for side mounting. They have amber running lights, amber turn signals and white courtesy lights. They also make a version just called "Big Rig Lights" that do not have the white lights. They come in 48" and 62", mine are the 62" model.

They are mounted with 3M tape (comes with them) with the mounting surface de-greased and then treated with one of 3M's adhesive enhancing surface prep wipes (does not come with them) before mounting. 2 years and not a sign of coming loose as yet.

I got mine though Amazon, but the link below shows all 4 variations.

https://gorecon.com/product-category/big-rig-led-running-lights/

Wiring:

There are 4 wires on each:

Ground: To chassis ground
Running: To running light circuit on Curt box (see below)
Turn: To appropriate circuit on Curt Box (see below)
Courtesy: Through firewall at the clutch plate delete point and then tapped into the footwell lamp wire under the dash.

Clutch Plate Delete pass-though thread: How to Install a wire boot or grommet in the clutch delete plate for running wires into the cab

Curt Box - I have two items installed to provide me with access to the light wiring without causing can-bus errors. First is a harness that installs inline with the 7 wire trailer connector behind the bumper and brings the trailer wires out. The second is a box that takes the combined brake and turn signals out of the trailer wires and splits them into separate signals. I also have my tailgate light bar hooked into the same wiring.

Curt Trailer wiring T: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/55384 (4 wire version)

Curt Trailer wiring T: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56584 (5 wire version with reverse)

Curt 2 to 3 wire converter: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56196

Somewhat complex, I know, but everything works smoothly and I don't have to worry about can-bus issues from overdrawing the primary circuits.

-K

Yes, mildly complex in appearance and I'll walk through this effort, but I really appreciate the level of effort you put into explaining this. I'm also going to add lights (post-lift) to the underside rear (for clearance when backing up), so might opt for a double-effort.

Thank you for the follow-up

Reactions: kad

Robmar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I put these n-fabs on about a year ago. They do what they are supposed to do20190417_175937.jpg 20190417_180008.jpg

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Really like my steelcrafts solid steel full length no gaps between the frame and body lugs on top for grip and best of all only $200!

RAM RB.jpg

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate running boards too, but they served a purpose like everyone else had mentioned. I went withthe Aries AdvantEdge side bars. They also come in black powder coat.

full

full

Tarheelquality

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For everyone with the wheel to wheel boards, is there a third connect point back near the rear wheels? I would like to go with the full length boards if possible but I want to make sure they are strong enough back there.

pengland01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 6I Cummings HO turbo diesel
I purchased the factory installed wheel to wheel running boards for my 2020 RAM 3500. They offer a great assist to entering and departing the cab. With the extension, it makes it easier to get into my tool box too.
View media item 29852

Jvahey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E torque
upload_2020-8-24_12-36-39.jpeg

Ionic 41 Series Brite Running Boards, $297 @ Realtruck.com

Last edited:

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Go to autoanything.com and check out their prices as they seem better than anyone I found .

Mikew84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Westin pro traxx 5... cab length 5” oval... first aftermarket purchase on my 2500, saves your knees, ankles, and seats!

750B2B2D-17F5-431F-8417-3FE89AF5F27E.jpeg

SirScottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Luverne running boards. They fit tightly to the body and are really sturdy.

i've been eyeing those.
What's the weight capacity (i'm a big guy - just over 300 lbs.)?
Which model did you get, and did it have rocker panel mounts, or body mounts?

SirScottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's not cheap but Amp steps really are the way to go. I had regular steps for the longest time but finally broke down and bought the Amps because I wanted a cleaner look and a lower step then the fixed ones. Wife was like "how much were those!" and then I installed them and she said they were well worth the investment. They drop down lower so much easier for everyone to get in, they have a wider step so no slipping off, and they look great folded up/

Do you know the weight capacity of the AMP boards? If i am going to spend that kind of money, it's got to handle my 320 lbs without flinching, and last the life of my truck. Are they that good?

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
N-Fab's

They also make the triple lenght so you can reach stuff in the front of the bed. Now wish I bought that instead, but at the time, my money wheelbarrow was empty.b3c69e10c9bfbf7af130de463cedbb65.jpg
I got a set like that. Love the steps coming a little lower for wife.
She says they are the best thing I bought for my truck!