Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shudder/vibration at low speed turning or backing

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by Mountaineer83, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Mountaineer83

Mountaineer83 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Ok, so I've searched and searched and have come up pretty much empty. My scenario is as follows:

2016 Ram 2500 4wd w/6.4

When pulling out from a stop with the wheel cut either direction or especially when backing or pulling into a parking space, I get a shudder or vibration. It almost feel like when you are in 4wd and it crab walks, but not nearly as severe.

I have pinpointed it to the rear while walking beside it as my wife pulled into our driveway from the street. I just can't pin down the exact culprit.

This issue has occurred more than once, but has been very noticeable the past few days. I did just have my gears swapped to 4.88s, but it was happening before hand on occasion as well, as long as a couple of years ago. I chalked it up to my tires and went on my way.

But, my ocd is now getting the best of me and probably made me more aware since my gear swap due to paying more attention overall.

Anyone else have this issue?

Down To Detour and Thomas James like this.
  2. Halligan

Halligan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    You sure it's in the rear? I would almost bet a front axle u-joint is the culprit. But if your sure it's in the rear then I'm not sure. A bad rear driveshaft U-joint would not worsen when turning. Only other thoughts would be the rear axle carrier or LSD acting up.

3. crazy jerry

crazy jerry Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    some after market gear vendors require conventional 80w-90 for new gear installs . that oil typically has no friction modifier. if you have a clutch style traction device it likely needs friction modifier or they chatter. find out what oil you have and if you have any traction device. i suspect thats whats making the noise

4. Halligan

Halligan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Good point. If the gear installer put in a non factory LSD that uses a clutch pack you may need friction modifier. The factory LSD however does not require the additive as it is not a clutch style.

5. Mountaineer83

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Thanks guys. I have the factory limited slip and verified with my installer that it indeed has no clutches.

I take it back in about 500 miles for fluid flush and refill. Hopefully after that it stops ig it is in fact related to the rear setup.

6. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Hello Mountaineer83,
    We are happy to hear your fellow forum members have assisted you. However, please keep us updated when you head to the dealer. If any additional assistance is needed throughout that process, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We're always happy to assist.
    Laura
    RamCares

Mountaineer83 likes this.
  7. Mountaineer83

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Thank you!

8. Hydraplane

Hydraplane Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a stock 2018 PW with 20K been doing the same thing for awhile. I will write it up on my next trip to the dealer to fix the radio...

Mountaineer83 likes this.
  9. Mountaineer83

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    It's hard to pinpoint for sure! My guy who put my gears in told me he would help me figure it out when he does my oil change on my gears. I will say, he has went above and beyond just installing my gears.

10. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Mountaineer83 not a problem, we are happy to assist if needed.
    Laura
    RamCares