Shuts down at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joppy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1997 5.9 4x4 that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. It had 128,000 million it. It now has 138,000 miles. It has been a dependable truck. That is till today. I went to the store and everything was fine. Came out of the store and it wouldn't start unless I gave it throttle. But as soon as I took my foot of the throttle it would die. So I had to keep my foot on the throttle slightly to get home. Thanks for any help.

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get some throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body. This happened to me a while back and after cleaning the throttle body it ran great. You do not have to remove the TB, just spray it liberally. make sure engine is running.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well that seemed to work thanks

If you throttle body was that dirty I would suspect the IAC valve is dirty as well. You might want to pull it off and clean the valve and the port it goes into before you have any other problems. Just use the same cleaner.

JayLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Not the same issue, but somewhat related... over time (had my 97 12V for 10 years 100,000+ miles) was the idle speed gradually reduced. it turns out the idle adjustment screw had a divot warn into it, so a simple adjustment and I was back to normal.