Snow plow installed / wheel and tires question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6A7D2906-25C0-4D58-AEBA-5A4123A36000.jpeg i had a snow plow installed on my 2019 Ram Classic yesterday. I plan to only use the plow for my sbusiness lot, mine and my parents driveway. The truck came with 20” wheels and tires. The wheels are factory chrome clad with Goodyear tires. The tires have a very mild tread. I’m sure they are great tires, but don’t have a very aggressive tread pattern. I’d like to keep these for the summer and have a separate set for the winter. I’d like a tire that’s more aggressive with more sidewall for the winter. Any suggestions ? Maybe a 17” factory wheel from an earlier model Ram with a nice set of tires? Thanks in advance, any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!!

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 147958 i had a snow plow installed on my 2019 Ram Classic yesterday. I plan to only use the plow for my sbusiness lot, mine and my parents driveway. The truck came with 20” wheels and tires. The wheels are factory chrome clad with Goodyear tires. The tires have a very mild tread. I’m sure they are great tires, but don’t have a very aggressive tread pattern. I’d like to keep these for the summer and have a separate set for the winter. I’d like a tire that’s more aggressive with more sidewall for the winter. Any suggestions ? Maybe a 17” factory wheel from an earlier model Ram with a nice set of tires? Thanks in advance, any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!!

If your 2019 classic has the Goodyear SR-A tires get those off your truck ASAP your just looking for an accident. They will slide like crazy on wet roads from slight rain let alone snow covered roads.

I replaced mine with Goodyear Duratracs 275/60R20. They are a common pick for Ram owners.

I personally love mine. I live in northern Ontario with harsh Canadia
winters and I’ve never had a problem

Last edited:

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I can't help too much, except I used to run a good mud and snow. The last time I had a plow on a 1500 was on my 97' sport. Also back when I lived in Pittsburgh :) That truck did me very well, for all 250K miles. I had a few commercial townhouse developments to plow and salt, and it towed a bobcat pretty good.

Hope someone can really answer your question.

100_0366.JPG

OP
OP
19Classic

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your 2019 classic has the Goodyear SR-A tires get those off your truck ASAP your just looking for an accident. They will slide like crazy on wet roads from slight rain let alone snow covered roads.

I replaced mine with Goodyear Duratracs 275/60R20. They are a common pick for Ram owners.

I personally love mine. I live in northern Ontario with harsh Canadia

I personally love mine. I live in northern Ontario with harsh Canadian winters and I’ve never had a problem in the snow
winters and I’ve never had a problem in the snow
I’m not sure what model Goodyear is on the truck. I’m going to check tomorrow. Thanks for the information!

OP
OP
19Classic

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't help too much, except I used to run a good mud and snow. The last time I had a plow on a 1500 was on my 97' sport. Also back when I lived in Pittsburgh :) That truck did me very well, for all 250K miles. I had a few commercial townhouse developments to plow and salt, and it towed a bobcat pretty good.

Hope someone can really answer your question.

View attachment 147966
I’m really looking forward to trying it out. Hoping we get hammered with snow!

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry about the doubles text in my reply not sure how that happened lol. But I can guarantee they are SR-A Goodyear’s. I couldn’t get mine off my truck quick enough when I bought my truck.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There must be differences in trucks. Mine points out in the manual not to put a plow on the truck.

But to the op a 17 with a 265/70/17 will be a close match to your 20’s. That’s what I run on mine for the winter on some steelies.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, didn’t know you could get a snow plow for a 1500???

OP
OP
19Classic

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There must be differences in trucks. Mine points out in the manual not to put a plow on the truck.

But to the op a 17 with a 265/70/17 will be a close match to your 20’s. That’s what I run on mine for the winter on some steelies.
Uh oh....

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck is completely stock too with a plow I would highly look into upgrading your front suspension components and some counterbalance weight in the rear.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are our 1500 rams really this weak? F150s have a plow prep option from the factory...

OP how much does that plow weigh?

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are our 1500 rams really this weak? F150s have a plow prep option from the factory...

Yes they are, Ford and Chevy factory plow prep options include beefier springs/shocks and a couple other things from factory.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was told it was the electric power steering that was the weak link in the front end.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
to the op a 17 with a 265/70/17 will be a close match to your 20’s. That’s what I run on mine for the winter on some steelies.

@19Classic if you go with 17" rims, a 285/70/17 is a closer match to the factory 275/60/20 on your truck now.
275x60xR20-285x70xR17.png

It may be in part due to the electric power steering why the say not to put on a snow plow. Another reason could be the BW 44-44 transfer case, the repeated wheel slipping resulting in loading/unloading of the front drive clutch could cause an overheat condition. People have reported it happening driving in deep sand, mud, snow, etc.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was told it was the electric power steering that was the weak link in the front end.

It's been in the manual not to plow with the 1500s long before the electric power steering was used.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

The vast, vast majority of those who actually plow buy HD trucks. Ram really isn't missing out any sales on people plowing with 1500s.

As crash said above the 44-44 is I believe the biggest reason some plow manufacturers don't offer a package on the 1500. Would be interesting to see if the 5th gen manual still says never to plow with the truck. (new T-case).

But yes, your warranty will be in big trouble if dealer finds out.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As many have mentioned:

in the 2019 Owners manual (page 423):

Snowplows and other aftermarket equipment should

not be added to the front end of your vehicle. The

airbag crash sensors may be affected by the change in

the front end structure. The airbags could deploy

unexpectedly or could fail to deploy during a collision

resulting in serious injury or death.

and again:

Attaching a snowplow to this vehicle could adversely

affect performance of the airbag system in a collision.

Do not expect that the airbag will perform as described

earlier in this manual.

Also: you stated that you would plow for your business which means you are using your truck for your business which might void warranty anyways.

As for tires, I don't plow but have had LT Terra Grapplers on the last 4 trucks and they have all done amazing in the snow.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few gerbils and a carrot
OP That is a good looking plow!!! my wife has been egging me on to get a small plow just to clear from the house to the main road. But I am going to wait a year, we haven't had very much snow the last few years (here near Baltimore) - maybe we are due a whopper - then out comes the Ariens 824.

View media item 28557 I can dream, can't I?