Solid report on post purchase shop inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cosmo64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I know, your supposed to get it checked out before purchase, not after. The report was rear brake rotors warped (knew that myself just by driving), getting turned tomorrow. Gross evap leak (P0456), hose to evap canister by left frame rail split, replacing tomorrow. Intake dirty (P0440 & P2175), getting cleaned tomorrow. Tires dry rotting on inside sidewall, replacing tomorrow (Cooper Discoverer CTS) with alignment. The engine was bone dry (no leaks). The undercarriage was bone dry (no sign of old leaks). Ball joints & tie rod ends tight (upper control arms appeared to have been replaced no long ago). Rear diff fluid stunk though, changing tomorrow also. Bill will be about $1350 with tax. I'll be changing the rest of the fluids, plugs & wires this weekend.

OP
OP
Cosmo64

Cosmo64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, the three codes were in history, none were active. No spare tire under bed or jack & tools under passenger front seat.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not too bad, but you should have done it beforehand. :p

As for spare, look on Craigslist. As for the jack, go buy an appropriate sized jack at the auto parts store and you can find the tools more than likely at a junkyard.

OP
OP
Cosmo64

Cosmo64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks dodge dude94. I'll be in it at $5500 after all services & repairs.

: O Geico Camel whoo-whoo

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks dodge dude94. I'll be in it at $5500 after all services & repairs.

: O Geico Camel whoo-whoo

That still isn't bad. I paid $6500 for my 98, and had to do a master cylinder a week later. :S:throw:

OP
OP
Cosmo64

Cosmo64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, went in to have the new tires, alignment & other above posted repairs/maintenances completed. The rear rotors were at discard, so new ones went on. Needed a new right outer tie rod end replaced to complete alignment. Found a few pieces of a spring in the rear differential and small hollow piece that was sticking out rubbed/ground a quarter inch of material off of the right bearing cap. Not much damage at all to the ring gears but can hear a louder than normal clunk when going from reverse to drive. Hopefully I'll have a while before I have to have the LS rear differential replaced.