Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never heard 4 years. Bridgeston/Firestone say 10:
Bridgestone recommends that its Bridgestone or Firestone brand tires be removed from service after ten years regardless of their remaining tread depth.

From this link:
That’s probably recommended shelf life for unmounted tires they sell to dealers
The average tire life is 4 years because average milage is 7500 a year @ 4 years = 30,000 miles

If you bought a used vehicle then you would probably want to look at those tires with suspicion because of unknown service history.
To be honest I’ve never seen a set of tires on a new vehicle from the dealership last their advertised milage.
sorry but a quick google search says average vehicle is driven a little over 14000 miles a year and no tire manufacturer says their tire only has 4 year service life, especially if it is an unused spare..you make a blanket statement that is false.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
sorry but a quick google search says average vehicle is driven a little over 14000 miles a year and no tire manufacturer says their tire only has 4 year service life, especially if it is an unused spare..you make a blanket statement that is false.
Thanks I’ll accept your apology for my educated opinion
I believe the blanket statement is in reference to your comment of “industry standard”.

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I’ll accept your apology for my educated opinion
I believe the blanket statement is in reference to your comment of “industry standard”.
did you check this out? https://www.tireindustry.org/consumer-safety ? also have you looked at your signature? Maybe that is why you are getting such short service life out of tires. I can not imagine a non ag tire on a wheel that is 10.5X17. Probably would not last long on a truck and I suppose are hard to find.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
did you check this out? https://www.tireindustry.org/consumer-safety ? also have you looked at your signature? Maybe that is why you are getting such short service life out of tires. I can not imagine a non ag tire on a wheel that is 10.5X17. Probably would not last long on a truck and I suppose are hard to find.
I don’t mean to come off as some know it all and I appreciate the concern you have over the life of my tire treads you can buy my specific tire any day of the week from any reputable tire or service center.. the reason my first set of KO’s only gave me 20,000 miles are because I drove them into the ground through my learning curve of a positraction inline with a ZF 8 speed and 395 Hemi and
the durometer rating of the rubber in the compounds of my snow traction tires inhibits their life span

I didn’t realize till yesterday I was posting in HD forums and I know the 2500 and 3500 have different values and specifications and different handling characteristics.

The website you link to isn’t an official “industry standard”
organization I believe it actually owned by Just Tires and Discount Tires you can buy a .org website and because of the monetary value associated with .org stigma its actually just an attempt for political and governmental lobbying and influence which helps in legal cases like the Ford Bridgestone lawsuits and tire ratings verse’s vehicle weight and governmental inquiries.
You are still going to find discrepancies among tire manufacturers regarding the subject but in history laws are there for people that do not exercise common sense.

I apologize if my statement on tire life seemed definitive because in life there are no absolutes. (except for death and taxes)

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are still going to find discrepancies among tire manufacturers regarding the subject but in history laws are there for people that do not exercise common sense.

I apologize if my statement on tire life seemed definitive because in life there are no absolutes. (except for death and taxes)
I agree, manufacturers differ a bit on max age of tires. But can you show me one that recommends just 4 years?

I own a diesel pusher, actually camping in it right now. We do not drive it near enough miles to wear tires out, so I pay close to attention to tire age and what is recommended there by the tire makers. I've never read less than 7 years for RV or vehicle tires.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
More misinformation is what this place needs. 80% of what’s posted is 34.5% accurate. question and verify.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To the OP, I have a "16" 2500 and I do a 5 tire rotation and the 5th tire and rim fit in the factory spare location, but that will depend on the make and type of the tire.
My tires are Falken MT 35x12.5 on factory 18 inch rim.

Attachments

• 20210312_111117.jpg
    20210312_111117.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210312_111146.jpg
    20210312_111146.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 6

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Spare rim is for temp service only, tires only have a four year service life, I write this because I didn’t realize the full size spare had a cheap rim until I removed it to inspected the tire
I agree, manufacturers differ a bit on max age of tires. But can you show me one that recommends just 4 years?
I probably could but that’s not what was posted.

There really isn’t a tire industry standard my comments of tire service life were based on milage averages I believe some states require tire manufacturers to warranty their tires for at least 6 years…

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Why is this any different based on a tire that’s sold as a 30,000 mile tire and 7500 annual miles at 4 years…

(again I never posted this was an industry standard)

If you have a 50 to 60,000 mile tire ?

it still going to be 4 years…

(I just don’t understand the logic here)

please explain

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So to answer the OPs original Question, just keep the 33" spare and run it on the front axle if you get a flat. With the 2500 and 3500 they are all part time 4x4, so as long as you leave it in 2 wheel drive you are good till you can get the flat fixed. Only time I would mess around with a 35" spare is if you spend more than 60% of your time in 4x4 and realistically most 4x4s the front differential is not posi or a locker sso even in 4x4 diferent size tires on the front isn't that big a deal short term. Every time I get new tires I have them put the best take off onto the spare rim so if I run 35s eventually the spare will be a 35 too.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8

Tire Service Life​

Service and storage conditions vary widely, so accurately predicting the actual serviceable life of any specific tire based on simple calendar age alone is not possible. Proper maintenance and periodic inspections by a tire professional to assess your tires’ condition are essential for optimum performance and service life.

This .ORG are legitimate US lobbyist

9E580855-8A23-494F-888C-4E35C5771818.jpeg

please don’t take anyone word on tire safety but seek your own information and prove it to yourself

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Why is this any different based on a tire that’s sold as a 30,000 mile tire and 7500 annual miles at 4 years…

(again I never posted this was an industry standard)

If you have a 50 to 60,000 mile tire ?

it still going to be 4 years…

(I just don’t understand the logic here)

please explain
621bc613ece585f6504c7b825b399060.jpg

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Spare rim is for temp service only, tires only have a four year service life, I write this because I didn’t realize the full size spare had a cheap rim until I removed it to inspected the tire

By practice I would normally replace the spare tire with the when installing a new set with the least worn of the set.

I was told by the tire shop my 10 inch wide tire spare wouldn’t work because the depression was too narrow but through fellow forum members experience say it will

I will personally buy a regular non temp rim and find a used tire to mount to it as long as it clears the height of the rear bumper.

The diameter of the tire should match so the differential is not strained but if you have a different diameter wheel it should not be used on the drive axle, meaning if you have a flat on the rear you would need to mount one of your same size wheels to the rear drive line and the off size wheel to the non drive axle , within reason to make a wheel change on a busy highway is never convenient but the correct rotation should be made within a reasonable amount of time out of caution and safety.
The stock tires including the spare on my 2015 2500 Limited and my 2022 3500 Longhorn are LT275/70R18 (or 285/60R20 - same overall diameter - for 4 on ground).
Spare Tire is same as 18 inch OE but wheel is black instead of chrome or Aluminum - not really a temporary wheel just different color - no need to change wheel unless you plan to rotate spare with other tires.
As to width, 275 mm wide is 11 inches (dont know where guy came up with 10 inches wont work). Diameter may be more of a challenge as well as widths over 11 inches. Spare is mounted face down, so worst case if too wide, you might be able to flip over and mount face up but would not have access to valve to check pressures.
As to diameter, OE Firestones are 33.1 OD - so you would have to accommodate at least a half inch more on radius - maybe more if deep lug mud tires (probably too big - tightest point probably at rear at hitch - look at what you have now and measure).
If you change diameter to 35 in, be aware of difference - as suggested elsewhere, best to put smaller OE 33 in diameter on non driven wheel - put on front and dont run 4WD)
As to life, most manufacturers guarantee for 5 to 6 years from manufacture date. Primary age issue is ozone and UV exposure (sunlight) and dry rot - if you see a lot of checking on sidewall its definitely time to replace, but my 2015 spare was fine at least thru 2022). Son's 2001 F150 blew the unused spare in 2021 but thats 20 years and badly checked. 10 years is probably limit for me unless you see evidence of aging.
As suggested, putting best of old tires on spare when you replace - (assuming same 18 inch wheel size and tire fits under truck) is a good way to keep spare fresh.
Or maybe you can beg or buy a more recent used LT275/70R18 Load Range E takeoff from your tire dealer - the LT275/70R18/E is the most common size currently in use on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks- just make sure its Load Range E. My dealer had a worn but usable 2019 vintage set that just came off when I changed my tires last month. Harder to find other sizes like 35's
Note a used 35 inch will be somewhat smaller OD - if it starts at 16/32 tread, thats an inch smaller diameter when fully worn - so you might pick up half that in clearance if tire is half worn

Last edited:

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
^^^This^^^
My spare wheel and tire are still the factory originals, Transforce H/T that has never been on the ground. The wheel is exactly the same as the wheels on the truck minus the chrome cladding.
Depending on its age, you may or may not have a problem if you have to use it - Sons 2001 F150 had to put his unused 20 year old spare on ground and it blew out big time a day later sitting in drive - big bang - glad he was not on Interstate.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The stock tires including the spare on my 2015 2500 Limited and my 2022 3500 Longhorn are LT275/70R18 (or 285/60R20 - same overall diameter - for 4 on ground).
Spare Tire is same as 18 inch OE but wheel is black instead of chrome or Aluminum - not really a temporary wheel just different color - no need to change wheel unless you plan to rotate spare with other tires.
As to width, 275 mm wide is 11 inches (dont know where guy came up with 10 inches wont work). Diameter may be more of a challenge as well as widths over 11 inches. Spare is mounted face down, so worst case if too wide, you might be able to flip over and mount face up but would not have access to valve to check pressures.
As to diameter, OE Firestones are 33.1 OD - so you would have to accommodate at least a half inch more on radius - maybe more if deep lug mud tires (probably too big - tightest point probably at rear at hitch - look at what you have now and measure).
If you change diameter to 35 in, be aware of difference - as suggested elsewhere, best to put smaller OE 33 in diameter on non driven wheel - put on front and dont run 4WD)
As to life, most manufacturers guarantee for 5 to 6 years from manufacture date. Primary age issue is ozone and UV exposure (sunlight) and dry rot - if you see a lot of checking on sidewall its definitely time to replace, but my 2015 spare was fine at least thru 2022). Son's 2001 F150 blew the unused spare in 2021 but thats 20 years and badly checked. 10 years is probably limit for me unless you see evidence of aging.
As suggested, putting best of old tires on spare when you replace - (assuming same 18 inch wheel size and tire fits under truck) is a good way to keep spare fresh.
Or maybe you can beg or buy a more recent used LT275/70R18 Load Range E takeoff from your tire dealer - the LT275/70R18/E is the most common size currently in use on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks- just make sure its Load Range E. My dealer had a worn but usable 2019 vintage set that just came off when I changed my tires last month. Harder to find other sizes like 35's
Note a used 35 inch will be somewhat smaller OD - if it starts at 16/32 tread, thats an inch smaller diameter when fully worn - so you might pick up half that in clearance if tire is half worn
Nothing personal but it seems to be a theme or just lack of coincidence that no one reads all post to keep the contiunity of the threads subject. To quote my post now is taking it out of context if you donot quote all of them , unless by quoting my post you believe you are somehow gaining favoritism in agreement with others who have this fabricated attention deficit.

I agree with you regarding the HD trucks specifications and opinions to the OP regarding safe implementation of wheel usage…
but quoting my post after my defence of them makes your 12 post existence surmountable to sock puppetry.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have learned a couple things about tires

First of all, the tire has a manufacturing date on the sidewall.
When your in the market for new tires, look at that date.
There are places that sell some new tires, that are on the new tire rack that are already a year or more old & have never been used.
My neighbor ended up with 2 one year old tires & 2 other tires that were only a couple months old, also brand new.
Apparently my neighbor had a blow out while up in San Francisco.
Because tires are pro rated, there was a dispute.
It was resolved when my neighbor returned from the trip & produced the bill of sale.
Check the date on your tires sidewall when you purchase them.

My local Discount Tire will not patch a tire if the Tire date is 7 years old
whether that is a standard or just policy, i don't know.

My spare tires on both my old 2009 Dodge Ram & my current 2016 Ram, are both stamped Temporary Spare on the tire sidewall

How Long Can You Drive On A Space-Saver/Donut Spare Tire?​

These narrow, compact spares are designed to save space and weight in the vehicle, allowing the manufacturers to build a smaller car. However, the tire itself is not built to last. Your owner’s manual will give recommendations for driving time and speed. A general rule of thumb is to drive no more than 70 miles and no faster than 50 miles per hour before replacing your donut with a new tire.

Soon after you place a donut spare on your car, the wheel-speed sensor might detect the difference and light up your instrument panel with brake and ABS (anti-lock braking system) warning lights. This happens because your compact spare may rotate faster than the other tires to keep up, and the sensors detect a problem.

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read this entire thread. It answers a few questions and poses another about full size aluminum rim in spare tire holder.

I'm planning a 6000 mile trip in July from Virginia to California hauling a 'jeep' on a trailer out to the Rubicon trail. I'm turning 60 and Gas prices aren't going to be lower any time soon so I'm going regardless as a birthday present to myself. a 'Bucket List' item and I'll probably not get the chance again.

As part of my prep for traveling I've lowered and inspected my 'donut' spare and found it to only have 20lbs and given the 'life' if I have to use it I have opted for a Full Size Spare. I don't want to trust having a flat and pulling a trailer on this 'emergency' spare.

I got a great deal on a stock black 20" rim and a tire with MFG date of 3719 (37th week of 2019) the same size as my Kuhmos MFD in 2018 so I should be OK. I had the tire inspected and shes got no patches and should be fine. I plan to keep the rim locked in the bed of the pickup and carry a full size jack as to me it is dangerous laying down to drop it and pull the spare out on the side of the road and not having a safe place for the under the seat jack.

I'll keep the donut in place now but what if i wanted to put the stock black rim in its place as it has a much smaller center hole. The bracket will never fit through like the larger center for the 'donut'.

Can it be done? How would I do it?