Spare Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan Montz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Question for you guys. I have an 18 2500 that I have been having for 3 years and I am finally leveling it and putting 35s on. What are you guys doing for a spare tire? Will a cheaper 35 fit on the spare rim underneath the truck? I have a tradesman and I am running the 18" chrome clad wheels, if I were to need the spare with 35s what are y'all thoughts on running highway speeds with it if the tire sizes are different?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Spare rim is for temp service only, tires only have a four year service life, I write this because I didn’t realize the full size spare had a cheap rim until I removed it to inspected the tire

By practice I would normally replace the spare tire with the when installing a new set with the least worn of the set.

I was told by the tire shop my 10 inch wide tire spare wouldn’t work because the depression was too narrow but through fellow forum members experience say it will

I will personally buy a regular non temp rim and find a used tire to mount to it as long as it clears the height of the rear bumper.

The diameter of the tire should match so the differential is not strained but if you have a different diameter wheel it should not be used on the drive axle, meaning if you have a flat on the rear you would need to mount one of your same size wheels to the rear drive line and the off size wheel to the non drive axle , within reason to make a wheel change on a busy highway is never convenient but the correct rotation should be made within a reasonable amount of time out of caution and safety.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Instead of changing spares

Get a tire plug kit with a compact air compressor

Works for everything but a Blow Out or sidewall puncture

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Instead of changing spares

Get a tire plug kit with a compact air compressor

Works for everything but a Blow Out or sidewall puncture
let me paraphrase that for you …
If you’re not in a hurry…

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can use that spare with your 35's, just don't go far or fast. I'd put it on the front as well, even if the back goes flat just move a front tire in that spot and put spare in front, for many reasons not just to have equal size tires under power. Obviously dont engage 4x4 on that short trip.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What spare steel wheel do you have Now? Most 35’s fit with a little coaxing.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Mine was a bitc* to get up there.
I never would have gotten it up there without 2 buddies prying and shoving while I did the cranking...
Don't know how I'm ever going to get it out if I do have a flat...
Wish I'd just have left the stock 33" Duratrac on the rim as a spare...

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was a bitc* to get up there.
I never would have gotten it up there without 2 buddies prying and shoving while I did the cranking...
Don't know how I'm ever going to get it out if I do have a flat...
Wish I'd just have left the stock 33" Duratrac on the rim as a spare...
It comes out much easier than it goes in. I run two sets of tires and a matching spare and gravity works…i run a toyo rt 35’s so on the larger side. I use a little fluid film on the tire to help it slide in place.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 18" clad wheel, minus the chrome with the stock 275/70R18 firestone tire
a 285/75-18 would work for a spare if running 35's and you can find used ones in that size for cheap. If I had 18" wheels and wanted 35's I would run 285/75-18 as they are a nice size 35" tire.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Montz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
a 285/75-18 would work for a spare if running 35's and you can find used ones in that size for cheap. If I had 18" wheels and wanted 35's I would run 285/75-18 as they are a nice size 35" tire.
I didn't realize that, that is great advice right there!!

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spare rim is for temp service only, tires only have a four year service life, I write this because I didn’t realize the full size spare had a cheap rim until I removed it to inspected the tire

By practice I would normally replace the spare tire with the when installing a new set with the least worn of the set.

I was told by the tire shop my 10 inch wide tire spare wouldn’t work because the depression was too narrow but through fellow forum members experience say it will

I will personally buy a regular non temp rim and find a used tire to mount to it as long as it clears the height of the rear bumper.

The diameter of the tire should match so the differential is not strained but if you have a different diameter wheel it should not be used on the drive axle, meaning if you have a flat on the rear you would need to mount one of your same size wheels to the rear drive line and the off size wheel to the non drive axle , within reason to make a wheel change on a busy highway is never convenient but the correct rotation should be made within a reasonable amount of time out of caution and safety.
I have never heard 4 years as the service life. Discount tires says 6-10 years and most I have looked at have said the same. https://www.tireindustry.org/consumer-safety
My spare wheel is not cheap it is a solid 40lb steel wheel and is not cheap, constructed or otherwise. https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/WHEEL-Steel/10204130/04726268AA.html I can't imagine any 2500-3500 has a poorly constructed steel spare wheel.

Attachments

• D0DF582D-8336-47EB-8A7C-A88D4306170D.jpeg
    D0DF582D-8336-47EB-8A7C-A88D4306170D.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have never heard 4 years as the service life. Discount tires says 6-10 years and most I have looked at have said the same. https://www.tireindustry.org/consumer-safety
My spare wheel is not cheap it is a solid 40lb steel wheel and is not cheap, constructed or otherwise. https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/WHEEL-Steel/10204130/04726268AA.html I can't imagine any 2500-3500 has a poorly constructed steel spare wheel.
^^^This^^^
My spare wheel and tire are still the factory originals, Transforce H/T that has never been on the ground. The wheel is exactly the same as the wheels on the truck minus the chrome cladding.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Mine looks similar to yours except when I removed it to clean and check for corrosion and give it a coat of paint I see in small embossed letters
“ for temporary use only” and if you look closely at the welds they are cheap and not uniform like its just spot welded together… not what I expected from a dealer but my truck came with Method aftermarket wheels
The spare is steel like your picture but if you remove it and look at the reverse side you may be surprised.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine looks similar to yours except when I removed it to clean and check for corrosion and give it a coat of paint I see in small embossed letters
“ for temporary use only” and if you look closely at the welds they are cheap and not uniform like its just spot welded together… not what I expected from a dealer but my truck came with Method aftermarket wheels
The spare is steel like your picture but if you remove it and look at the reverse side you may be surprised.
not on mine. I have two of these spares and both are the same.

39B21F05-17AD-490A-A2CB-53E0E17B1BFB.jpeg9DEEB4E5-057C-4019-B7D0-11807E97EE76.jpegDCA6315E-EA9C-4468-BF9E-895323F09E83.jpeg2304A06F-ACA9-4FE6-A364-8B4C7C280488.jpeg

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The obvious differences are yours are eight lug and mine is 5
your wheels remind me of old school rally sport wheels those are nice rims now that I see a better image.

Since you’ve proved you have these nice rims why is it you asked if driving on tbe spare is OK ?

What is all the writing on the rims ?

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The obvious differences are yours are eight lug and mine is 5
your wheels remind me of old school rally sport wheels those are nice rims now that I see a better image.

Since you’ve proved you have these nice rims why is it you asked if driving on tbe spare is OK ?

What is all the writing on the rims ?
I never asked if it was ok. I know it is ok.I was pointing out a 2500 wheel was not a cheap made wheel like you stated and that a tire is good for more than 4 years by tire industry standards the writing is dot certification and mopar part number and manufacturer And date of manufacture. You were the one who told the guy it wasn’t safe.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I never asked if it was ok. I know it is ok.I was pointing out a 2500 wheel was not a cheap made wheel like you stated and that a tire is good for more than 4 years by tire industry standards the writing is dot certification and mopar part number and manufacturer And date of manufacture. You were the one who told the guy it wasn’t safe.
There really isn’t a tire industry standard my comments of tire service life were based on milage averages I believe some states require tire manufacturers to warranty their tires for at least 6 years , depending on road conditions and driving habits , you may want to keep yours for longer
(I don’t know) but my comments were for the OP, sorry if there was some confusion.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Spare rim is for temp service only, tires only have a four year service life,
I've never heard 4 years. Bridgeston/Firestone say 10:
Bridgestone recommends that its Bridgestone or Firestone brand tires be removed from service after ten years regardless of their remaining tread depth.

From this link:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
That’s probably recommended shelf life for unmounted tires they sell to dealers
The average tire life is 4 years because average milage is 7500 a year @ 4 years = 30,000 miles

If you bought a used vehicle then you would probably want to look at those tires with suspicion because of unknown service history.
To be honest I’ve never seen a set of tires on a new vehicle from the dealership last their advertised milage.