Splash guards / mud flaps yah or nah??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auk1016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First real experience with crap weather here in NE Ohio since I got my Big Horn and running boards on. They get loaded with crap from the roads. So the question is guards / flaps or leave it the way it is without??

If get them, any suggestions??

IMG_20200113_164946.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
mudflaps are somewhat of a personal preference for they're looks. If you travel down dirt road regularly they will help keeping rocks/dirt from scratching up behind the wheel wells. As far them keeping the running boards clean, probably not. I have HuskyLiner moulded mudflaps on my 15 and still get slush build up on the running boards

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to get mud flaps once my truck is delivered in a couple of weeks. I've heard the weather tech flaps are good and easy to install. That's the direction I'm going to go I think but I will follow this thread in case there's something better.

Red

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I went with the OEM Ram molded ones that fit the contours of the truck. Pretty inexpensive, and super easy to install. Keeps a lot of the crap from flinging on the truck. Biggest thing for me is the tires always pick up rocks and fling them, these help keep those rocks from bouncing off rockers.

IMG_0746.JPG

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've used the Weathertech ones on my last two trucks. Easy to install, fit great, hold up well and look about as good as mudflaps can.

Note, they also some with 3M protective film to keep the paint from abrading in case you ever take them off in the future.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely get them. Before I got them my truck always had spray crap all over the sides. It was a matter of time before the truck was going to be scratched up. I got the Husky ones and they are great. Put the clear film on before you put the mudguard on.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hmmm...
I visited Weathertech's site to verify fitment. They only showed the rears for my 2018 2500. No factory flares, less than 2" between running boards and wheel well and Not a dually. P/N: 120024
Went to Amazon and found both front and rear but different P/Ns: 110026-120026. So I sent an email to Weathertech. Probably won't hear back until Tuesday or so.
Tick Tock

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
A word of caution on the Mopar ones, they fill up with water, crap, gravel etc and will freeze solid. The drains in the bottom will not allow for drainage. I pitched mine, even though they are the best looking ones, and replaced them with Husky's.

The advice on protective film is dead on, The Mopar ones don't come with any and after less than two months mine were starting to wear into the clearcoat.

fast ed

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
why use protective film. are you putting them on, off, on,,off

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely nah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I'm in NW Pa. They really help reduce the snow/ice/slush build up on your running boards, and up the side of your truck.

I went with a set of Weathertech NoDrill, good fit.

b4425d144a8644b9dcf1c37e5aad4859.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
why use protective film. are you putting them on, off, on,,off

All the name brand ones come with the film so I would think that's one data point. Secondly, I pulled the Mopar ones off, they didn't have the film included when I bought them, my 19 Laramie after 2 months and there were visible lines where the top of the flap met the fender flare. I polished those out.

There was also an area of more wear near the bottom of the flare that required a touchup of clearcoat and then a polish to make it look new.

Apparently the flaps have movement even when bolted in place so your truck - your choice. Mine is to use the film.

BTW I'd highly recommend them on any Ram is snow country or gravel roads. The first trip in my 14 Sport with running boards resulted in slush thrown all the way up to near the windows. Flaps reduced that substantially.

Pino F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Turbo Eco Diesel
I installed Husky mudflats on mine, I definitely recommend them. I think husky are a little longer than weathertech.

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Careful on Amazon purchased mudflaps. I did and they were cheap China crap that didn't fit. WeatherTech all the way, easy-peasy to install, look great. I also did WT front bug/rock guard and floor mats. Greatly pleased at ease of installation and looks. Mudflaps definitely decrease amount of splash up on rockers.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
In this area, I have never seen a truck without mud flaps.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A word of caution on the Mopar ones, they fill up with water, crap, gravel etc and will freeze solid. The drains in the bottom will not allow for drainage. I pitched mine, even though they are the best looking ones, and replaced them with Husky's.

The advice on protective film is dead on, The Mopar ones don't come with any and after less than two months mine were starting to wear into the clearcoat.
I put the Mopar factory fit mud guards on mine. You are correct about collecting water and crap in the open top design. I liked the fit and factory look so instead of getting rid of them I did a easy fix on them. I stuffed News paper in the holes leaving it about one inch from the top of the holes and then topped it off with black silicon rubber sealant. Just filled it using a caulking gun and a wooden pop sickle stick to smooth it out nice and flat along the top. Easy fix now they are sealed up and the black caulking looks like it came that way.

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Ebay $40 for both front and back. My paint is still like new. No, the running boards will not stay clean with mudflaps. 16RAM2.jpeg