Sporadic tapping noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys I'm new here and I need a little help. This post maybe long so forgive me in advance. I have a 2014 BigHorn 5.7L and it is making a sporadic tapping noise. I took it to my mechanic and without opening up the engine he can't seem to find where it is coming from. He didn't want to open it up and if it is nothing there and have me spend unnecessary money. Here's some of the details:
Don't hear it above 2000 rpm
With insp cover off seems louder at bell housing
Inspected starter drive torque converter bolts (x6)
no visible cracks in flywheel where it bolts to crankshaft
Oil is new
Still hear it with belt drive off
Timing chain wear not excessive though
Rotated engine w/pull handle could not duplicate noise
Tapping sound is not like a lifter or rocker arm nor like a rod bearing or piston/ wrist pin
It sounds like a pen tapping on a kitchen table but with no rhythm. My mechanic has 40 years in the game so I trust him. Any advice is well appreciated

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Upload a video of the noise and we can tell you if its a lifter or something else without that it could be anything.

OP
OP
N

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Upload a video of the noise and we can tell you if its a lifter or something else without that it could be anything.
I'm uploading a video to YouTube now because it was too big to load on the forum then i will share the link

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's a lifter or valve, 95% sure. You have the right side, just have your guy pop the head. Good chance a valve spring is in pieces.. Stethoscope both heads with engine on, I bet it really reveals itself.

Sometimes is can be hard to guess between the two, in this case I'm leaning towards valve. but it's one of those.

OP
OP
N

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's a lifter or valve, 95% sure.
Thanks because I'm at a loss right now. I was thinking a lifter or camshaft would have like a rhythm tapping noise but I'm no mechanic at all lol I can do the basics though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not a cam shaft, you know how I know that? If it was the cam you would be throwing code p0300 series. That is why it is good to fix asap, if it is a lifter that would be wearing cam heavy, and that is a big job compared to swapping lifters. Have your guy pop the valve cover, straight up worth the labor, you will find it if you have right side.

OP
OP
N

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not a cam shaft, you know how I know that? If it was the cam you would be throwing code p0300 series. That is why it is good to fix asap, if it is a lifter that would be wearing cam heavy, and that is a big job compared to swapping lifters. Have your guy pop the valve cover, straight up worth the labor, you will find it if you have right side.
Will do thanks! I really appreciate this.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the link to the video to hear the noise. https://youtu.be/aFWlHglysv4

In my opinion that is a broken roller on a lifter mine sounded exactly the same mine never had a misfire I assume because it didn't run long enough like that. I would stop running it if I where you I could of re used my cam had minor damage but had it that far apart so made more sense to just do it all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
In my opinion that is a broken roller on a lifter mine sounded exactly the same mine never had a misfire I assume because it didn't run long enough like that. I would stop running it if I where you I could of re used my cam had minor damage but had it that far apart so made more sense to just do it all.
Thanks I appreciate this I'm for sure going to tell my mechanic to go head and take a look at the lifters. I have to get it back in shape I have a boat to pull and I'm ready to get back out on the water. Thanks again!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I appreciate this I'm for sure going to tell my mechanic to go head and take a look at the lifters. I have to get it back in shape I have a boat to pull and I'm ready to get back out on the water. Thanks again!

Also don't let whatever mechanic you take it to try to sell you on a new engine lol. I see that a lot It will simply need a cam/lifters and you'll be good to go sounds great otherwise from what i hear on the vid.

OP
OP
N

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also don't let whatever mechanic you take it to try to sell you on a new engine lol. I see that a lot It will simply need a cam/lifters and you'll be good to go sounds great otherwise from what i hear on the vid.
Thanks man if they talking about a new engine I might as well get a new vehicle lol

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Broken valve spring or springs and possible rocker arm to valve stem lash, a good mechanic can repair that without taking the head off, fix it before it causes more damage.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Hey guys I'm new here and I need a little help. This post maybe long so forgive me in advance. I have a 2014 BigHorn 5.7L and it is making a sporadic tapping noise. I took it to my mechanic and without opening up the engine he can't seem to find where it is coming from. He didn't want to open it up and if it is nothing there and have me spend unnecessary money. Here's some of the details:
Don't hear it above 2000 rpm
With insp cover off seems louder at bell housing
Inspected starter drive torque converter bolts (x6)
no visible cracks in flywheel where it bolts to crankshaft
Oil is new
Still hear it with belt drive off
Timing chain wear not excessive though
Rotated engine w/pull handle could not duplicate noise
Tapping sound is not like a lifter or rocker arm nor like a rod bearing or piston/ wrist pin
It sounds like a pen tapping on a kitchen table but with no rhythm. My mechanic has 40 years in the game so I trust him. Any advice is well appreciated
My buddy had the same thing now his was exhaust manifold bolts some broken after the truck heated up went away

Shepdawg47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Here is the link to the video to hear the noise. https://youtu.be/aFWlHglysv4

I had this exact sound on my 2016 Power Wagon 6.4L. At 62,000 miles. I flushed the oil system, added a quart of an oil stabilizer and put synthetic oil...no more noise!

Shepdawg47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Spoke too soon...the noise returned after about 10 days...

I would like to know the outcome with Nate2497

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Spoke too soon...the noise returned after about 10 days...

I would like to know the outcome with Nate2497
The good news you know what it is, for you it is lifters. The strategy you did was not sound, you went heavy viscosity not heavy ep additives. Search the board for hemi tick. With those low miles redline FIVEw30 and a rp filter is a good play, yes I see you have hd engine. change oil a little warm and let that drain.

OP
OP
N

Nate2497

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I sort of have the same noise. What was the outcome for you?
I bought a new truck lol. I took it to several mechanics and it was always "it could be..." so instead of throwing $3k+ at something they don't know exactly I just got another one a 2021.