Spray in Bedliner or Plastic Bedliner which would you get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Spray in. My plastic liner has warped around the edges over the years and water collects underneath it now. Plus, with a spray in, if it gets damaged or scuffed, its as easy as a touch up to repair it.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You'll probably end up with the spray in liner but if you plan to use your truck for hauling heavy things you might consider the liner. I had a spray-in in my 14 Sport and it was fine. I had a plastic liner in my 2000 Silverado and while it scratched the bed, the bed was about the only part that didn't rust out on that POS.

My 19 Laramie came with a plastic bedliner and it is tough as nails. To eliminate the wearing of the bed, I added 1 1/2" strips of 3M protective film to the raised sections of the bed that contact the liner. I also added the BUG rails so we'll see what happens in the long run but I know I can throw cement blocks in it and suffer no damage.

Whatever you chose, add a bed mat to save your knees from the rough surface of either type.

bjgDPco.jpg

Bed with 3M film installed

UC7H2ck.jpg

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray in. I went with a drop in because I got it free off of FB marketplace. But if I was paying, I would have went with the spray in.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Whatever the truck comes with. I had spray, plastic, bed mat and no liner at all. I’ve never been dinged trading a truck in with a scratched bed. That said. Spray is nice and holds up well. Plastic stuff slides really easy. Rubber bed mat is not bad either. I’ve always lived in rust free environment also. So rust is of no concern to me.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray in with a rubber mat or just the mat. The mat keeps stuff from sliding around. Down in the Southeast, scratched beds don’t rust but the scratches aren’t cosmetically pleasing. Spray in just keeps it looking good even though you’ve been rough on it. Either way, the rubber mat is a must. I have a mat over spray in on my PW.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
My Tuscany had a bed rug and it was perfect for keeping things in place. It never got wet so I don’t know if having a bed rug without a cover is a good idea. Or hauling dirt or rock without using a tarp.
Plastic was nice on one of my trucks for Durability but it let everything slide around. I see them on the side of the road all the time as it seems truck owners don’t bolt them down.

I still prefer spray in liners as if I had no liner, I would pay the $385 to have it sprayed in if I could not negotiate it in the sell. My PW came with spray in from the factory and it matches my cover perfectly. I’m considering doing my fenders as well.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I just took my drop in out for a spray in. The drop in was new with the truck (2015) and the paint on the bed was scratched / chafed from the plastic. The plastic didn't hold its shape very well (started to curl / buckle) and the bed was starting to get surface rust.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Both...The spray in will stop the scratches and the drop-in will help eliminate dents from hauling heavy stuff. Tie the cargo down to prevent it from sliding around.

MaximumSteel18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a cover over the bed and I just use a rubber mat. I had the plastic liners years ago and they wore the paint off from moving around. I don't haul stones or dirt though, that I have delivered anymore and use the loader to move it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine came with the spray-in. It's rough, but so far has been pretty tough. I need to get my wife's done - her plastic one it came with sucks. **** slides all over the place in it.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spray is the way my man tough easy to keep clean and also looks great. OH and adds value to your truck if you sell it:banana-mario:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spray in, and I have a rubber mat over it, a little easier on the knee's when you have to climb in... Dealers will usually install a bedliner in a used truck with a bed that has been abused, or in bad shape..

geotex1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Drop in will eat through your paint no matter what. It's a matter or time. Even with PPF, it will wear through unless you are removing, inspecting and replacing that film regularly.

Had a Bed Rug once, and loved the comfort, especially when camping as I also had a cap, but if the slightest bit of water stays trapped under it for a long period it will cause the paint to lift. The foam does not breath! Granted, most don't keep their trucks as long as I do to ever see this happens, but after 9 years I had to remove it and do a spray in.

Since then, all my trucks are spray in and what I recommend. My 5th Gen is a Line-X and my 4th Gen is a factory plus a DeeZee rubber mat. The latter is mostly because I tow gooseneck and the safety chains drag on the bed floor.