Stage 3 double catch can system, no pcv valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried this set-up yet? This setup addresses the problem of foul-air-mode by removing the pcv valve from the system such it cannot close down and become a restriction. In effect, it doubles the blow by volume capacity of your CCV system because now when the blow by volume gets high, both lines can be used to flow blow by gas through catch cans and back into the intake. The intake plenum will provide a constant source of vacuum so that it is highly unlikely you'll build pressure in the crankcase.

Guys with superchargers/turbo's, have you deleted your PCV valve? If so, Details.

I've taken the spring and plunger out of a spare valve. Pretty easy. I know I can drill the port wider if need be. Any codes with the pcv valve removed?

Attachments

• 20150521_175050.jpg
    20150521_175050.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 314

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should list your source,,, I found it, but decided to let you disclose or let others find on their own,,,

Quite the read, but do you feel you're losing power due to foul air?

I'm trying to come up with a scenario where a RAM owner would actually encounter enough foul air to make a difference. The author of the article didn't really make a clear point of how long / exactly what conditions it takes to create 'foul air' in a specific application, which I can understand as 'every case is different',,,

Circle track guys may encounter something like that , but do you think it's really an issue for drags?

Do you have any 'scud/CC blowby' on the inside of you CCV air feed line? If it's clean as clean can be, it would seem to allude to a correctly sized/functional PCV system for the current task at hand,,,

If the air feed line is puking oil,,, well, there's a problem that need's addresed,,,,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should list your source,,, I found it, but decided to let you disclose or let others find on their own,,,

Quite the read, but do you feel you're losing power due to foul air?

I'm trying to come up with a scenario where a RAM owner would actually encounter enough foul air to make a difference. The author of the article didn't really make a clear point of how long / exactly what conditions it takes to create 'foul air' in a specific application, which I can understand as 'every case is different',,,

Circle track guys may encounter something like that , but do you think it's really an issue for drags?

Do you have any 'scud/CC blowby' on the inside of you CCV air feed line? If it's clean as clean can be, it would seem to allude to a correctly sized/functional PCV system for the current task at hand,,,

If the air feed line is puking oil,,, well, there's a problem that need's addresed,,,,

it's from the CCV Bible. No mystery there and yes the make up line does have oil in the intake tube. It must be coming during wot runs. Also the grommet (intake side) that holds the barb 90 is covered with black/carbon soot.

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
(Never heard of 'the Bible' or 'foul air mode' until I searched)

Will you be going with 2 cans or just removing the PCV valve in an effort to reduce a potential restriction with your current 1 can set-up?

(I've never run my stuff that hard, so 'its all new' to me!)

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put in a 2nd Catch Can. I'm not sure if removing the pcv valve is needed in my senerio. If I was boosted, no pcv valve. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything, but The catch cans would have to stay and ,of course, a tune is necessary for the extra flow of air.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The only downside to the 'stage 3' is that it doesn't allow for any fresh air to enter the case to change out the crankcase gasses. Because you're not generating a whole lot of blowby it's a bit of a wasted system but it does allow you to vent more blowby. Another downside is you will be pulling full vacuum on the crankcase at idle/low rpm, with the vacuum you can pull there is a real chance of you sucking oil up into the cans instead of just vapour, I've done it before.

I have removed my PCV valve and am running a 2 can system with a **** in the exhaust. I generate a lot of blowby with my setup and I vent a lot out the back end when I'm pushing the truck hard through the curves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only downside to the 'stage 3' is that it doesn't allow for any fresh air to enter the case to change out the crankcase gasses. Because you're not generating a whole lot of blowby it's a bit of a wasted system but it does allow you to vent more blowby. Another downside is you will be pulling full vacuum on the crankcase at idle/low rpm, with the vacuum you can pull there is a real chance of you sucking oil up into the cans instead of just vapour, I've done it before.

I have removed my PCV valve and am running a 2 can system with a **** in the exhaust. I generate a lot of blowby with my setup and I vent a lot out the back end when I'm pushing the truck hard through the curves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I've heard. Most guys running this system have problems with the cans filling up with oil fast. Using the exhaust setup you have, allowing the oil to drain, seems to be the solution.

I think for now I will leave the pcv valve in and just have the 2nd can in the make up air line. Arrington cans are reverse flow, so that won't be a problem. If the nitrous system demands something different, then I'll have the oil drain into the exhaust. I do like the idea of less pressure in the crankcase though. Thanks for the feedback.

Did you see my post installing Arrington CC with brackets for our trucks? I like the height. Can mount one on each side of the radiator support.