Steering column question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cjherin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I replaced the steering shaft joint due to there being play in the steering. After I replaced the parts and went to test drive the truck. As I was pulling out of the drive I turned the wheels and heard a squeak and then snap and my airbag light, esp bas light, and traction control light came on. I am not sure what could cause this. During the repair the steering wheel was spun and I am not sure if that could have tightened something and made it snap.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
You broke the clock spring in the steering wheel. It sits behind the airbag. Basically just a ribbon cable that is supposed to be able to travel the length of the wheel spin. It provides voltage and signal pathways to everything connected to the column that rotates

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said
most likely it's the clock spring. Part of what it does is a steering angle sensor for the vehicle electronic stability control hence the ESC and Traction Control faults