Steering Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joker2168

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Everyone,
Was wondering if I could get some help advice. My steering is very tight when I let the truck sit for a number of days 3 or more. It is very hard to turn and when I make a turn it does not come back. I have had it to the dealer and they have ruled out any electric steering problems. But they wont go any further as I have a 4in Zones lift. Its my feeling that it is a shaft issue.

Thanks

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi Everyone,
Was wondering if I could get some help advice. My steering is very tight when I let the truck sit for a number of days 3 or more. It is very hard to turn and when I make a turn it does not come back. I have had it to the dealer and they have ruled out any electric steering problems. But they wont go any further as I have a 4in Zones lift. Its my feeling that it is a shaft issue.

Thanks

I read a post similar to this a while back. The power steering would cut out while driving. It eventually cut out all together an the steering rack was replaced. Took care of the issue.

Btw, if I recall correctly, he was all stock.

OP
OP
J

joker2168

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did look at that post. Wondering as it comes and goes if it is a rack issue?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
flush the power steering fluid

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
flush the power steering fluid
The newer trucks are all EPAS. There's no fluid at all in the system since it's all electrically driven.

It's possible what OP is experiencing is a failing motor in the system so replacing the rack would replace all the electronic bit's in there.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The newer trucks are all EPAS. There's no fluid at all in the system since it's all electrically driven.

It's possible what OP is experiencing is a failing motor in the system so replacing the rack would replace all the electronic bit's in there.

WOW thats stupid gives me more reason to never buy a new truck i would never trust a fully electric steering....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
WOW thats stupid gives me more reason to never buy a new truck i would never trust a fully electric steering....

It's an electric assist,even if it goes out,you can still manually steer the truck,alibit just more effort is required.No different then losing a power steering pump or hose on the older hydraulic systems.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Since he is lifted and probably has bigger than stock tires, I wonder if they make a more powerful electric unit to help push and pull the tires and if it's worth the upgrade?? It does sound like an intermittent steering rack issue

OP
OP
J

joker2168

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is a rack issue. Does that mean the tie rods would need to be replaced? The reason I ask is the zones came with new tie rods and I could see why the dealer did not want to touch it.

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a new 2019 1500 Classic lone star CCSB and I started experiencing issues right around 1300 miles. Three to four instances and each on different days, the ‘service power steering’ message flashed. I lost power steering assist. Lots of effort required to steer the truck especially when stopped. Turned off the ignition, turned it on again and the message went away. Assist was back on. I didn’t think much of it but mentioned this to the service rep. at the dealership when I took it in for an oil change around 6150 miles. After a couple of days I was told that the power steering gear unit was faulty, so they replaced it under warranty. 3 days later I remote started the truck and it was back on again. No steering assist. I drove 3 minutes with no assist and suddenly it was back and running as normal. A week later I lost assist while driving on the freeway. I didn’t have it for a good 8-9 miles of driving. I drove straight to the dealership to show them the issue, they told me not to turn of the ignition, so they could pull the error codes. Truck has been at the dealership for a week now and they still haven’t figured out what the problem is. Has anybody else been in this situation? Any remedies?

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:
So I’m more than a month into driving the truck after the repair and can now say that the issue has been fixed. Apparently it was a power steering module that sits under the cabin close to where the AC condensate drains out. It was installed incorrectly by the factory. Periodic dripping of water lead to it being corroded which caused some electrical issues and lead to power steering failure. It has since been replaced and installed correctly behind the guard that prevents any AC condensate from dripping onto it. So the complete steering gear was replaced for no reason prior to actually getting to the root cause.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Update:
So I’m more than a month into driving the truck after the repair and can now say that the issue has been fixed. Apparently it was a power steering module that sits under the cabin close to where the AC condensate drains out. It was installed incorrectly by the factory. Periodic dripping of water lead to it being corroded which caused some electrical issues and lead to power steering failure. It has since been replaced and installed correctly behind the guard that prevents any AC condensate from dripping onto it. So the complete steering gear was replaced for no reason prior to actually getting to the root cause.

That's unfortunate that it happened to your vehicle but thank you for sharing the experience incase anyone else runs into that situation.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Seriously? I have replaced 3 power steering pumps on my Dakota and to replace the entire rack on my '96 Maxima due to leaks. I fully welcome an electric system on my Ram. Really cleans up the front of the block and 1 less thing to maintain. There are millions of cars on the road with electric systems without issue.

If it is a rack issue. Does that mean the tie rods would need to be replaced? The reason I ask is the zones came with new tie rods and I could see why the dealer did not want to touch it.

You can replace the inner tie rod but the tool is expensive and requires you to shear a pin, typically. New rack will have new inner rods. They do sell replacement inners for our trucks and it looks like they have a ball joint that can wear out or get sloppy.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue after I installed a 6” fab tech lift. It was the rack and pin, had it replaced and no issues since.
Idk if that is any help.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My lift had the tie rod ends replaced (shorter than stock).
When the rack and pin is changed, the tie rods are changed as well. The garage didn’t change my tie rods and just switched the new ones out for the olds ones. Why? Because they didn’t know anything about lifts and didn’t ask me until after the fact. But no issues since.