Stolen Key, Stuck in Ft. Meyers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What did he do exactly? Were you able to get a new key? Just curious. Hope it worked out!

Guy is here doing it now so we’re good. Thanks a lot guys. Gonna unhook battery too. Price tag is hefty but gotta do what you gotta do to get home.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I hear you, but we have stuck it out for 35+ years, and while it is far, far from perfect, I have full confidence we will persist until the end.

For us it is based on our Christian beliefs, so divorce or any relations outside our marriage is not considered an option for us.

BTW, thanks for your service!

Congratulations! Not an easy feat as I can attest :D

My comment was meant to be humorous. I rarely indulge in serious chatter.;)

I will say this though. This September will be 35 years. The third one was the charm. I refer to her as the "War Department" Haha.

And you are very welcome! I will accept that thank you on behalf all that have served in the past and are serving now. Especially those that gave that "last full measure of devotion".55696240_2283693851651638_8525822373927059456_n.jpg

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
Please Post your results on how you were able to fix this issue....so we will know our options if this happens to anyone of us...

Thanks

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My son lost the key to his Mazda and there was no spare. Had to find a locksmith that could delve into the computer and program a key. Apparently Mazda is the worst because they use their own software. This was a few years ago and cost $500. This is covered by comprehensive insurance- the key is part of the vehicle and was stolen.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Please Post your results on how you were able to fix this issue....so we will know our options if this happens to anyone of us...

Thanks

Sounds like the locksmith got him going - see post #12

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Interesting read - a few observations -

Probably easier to get a new key for his 2010 truck, my guess is that it has a physical key for the door, and to start it?

With no way to get into the truck, it would be harder to disconnect a battery cable, unless you could identify and get to it from underneath.

As an alternative, I would have considering borrowing a friends jack and lug wrench, and put one tire in the apartment.

Don't need to google the plate to get home address, it is likely on the registration in the glove box.

I think I will start to bring my spare key with me on future trips, keep it in my luggage...

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My comment was meant to be humorous. I rarely indulge in serious chatter.;)

I will say this though. This September will be 35 years. The third one was the charm. I refer to her as the "War Department" Haha.

And you are very welcome! I will accept that thank you on behalf all that have served in the past and are serving now. Especially those that gave that "last full measure of devotion".View attachment 241342

Yes sir, I totally got the humor. I also have heard the "war department" nickname before, ROTFL!

On a more serious note, I am not a veteran, but you will not find anyone who respects and appreciates those who have served more than me. My Dad was Navy and my cousin was USMC, Purple Heart. God Bless!

OP
OP
HStone33

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did he do exactly? Were you able to get a new key? Just curious. Hope it worked out!

He popped the truck open and programmed a new key fob to it that he had. Then he proceeded to very carefully detail how expensive each step was and I had no choice but to say “yeah go for it” hahah. I was really upset this happened considering I’m back to being a college student and spending a bunch of money to get a new fob was not on my list this month, but hey life happens. I’ll better prepare with all the tips from here! Unfortunately my only spare was 3.5 hours away and it isn’t a fob, just a physical key.

OP
OP
HStone33

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting read - a few observations -

Probably easier to get a new key for his 2010 truck, my guess is that it has a physical key for the door, and to start it?

With no way to get into the truck, it would be harder to disconnect a battery cable, unless you could identify and get to it from underneath.

As an alternative, I would have considering borrowing a friends jack and lug wrench, and put one tire in the apartment.

Don't need to google the plate to get home address, it is likely on the registration in the glove box.

I think I will start to bring my spare key with me on future trips, keep it in my luggage...

My truck uses the fob to start it in the dash and then has the physical key in the top of the fob. To my knowledge I can’t use the physical key to start it, only unlock my door. I’ve searched for something similar to my moms old Infiniti g35 where you can stick the fob in the dash if the battery isn’t working but nothing. If anyone knows about that I’d love to hear it!

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Suggestion. Take the key out of the fob to a home depot and make a spare to keep in your wallet. U won't be able to start it but at least u can get in.

Tonino

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I have a MY 19 with Push Button Start, only 1 door lock, and the tail gate is all electronic, no key at all. I had a "extra" door key made that I carry whenever I go out, because U can lock the FOB into the truck if U do not pay attention. Truck only stops the incident twice when off, and if U R like me and all other PPL, and just throw keys into center console while driving, U CAN lock yerself outta truck if it is running. Just a FYI.

As far as carrying the second set around, I do not do, but when took a long trip, when my betta half was alive, I always just had her carry the extra set and not leave in truck, just a saying.

ADDED: Definitely have all truck reprogrammed so "lost" FOB has no effect. So easy to walk out in a parking lot and hit panic button, one of the down falls to all the new electronic stuff. Years ago, some places used to make lil "license" plates to put on key rings. More than once I told PPL to take that silly lil ornamental item off of key ring, as it id's yer vehicle if lost.

IF yer house keys were on ring, I would have house rekeyed also. Just my opinion and a heck of a lot of years in law enforcement, and also gives U peace of mind.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somewhere in the alfaOBD thread, there is a pic of a lollipop key. Those can be programmed with alfa and are much smaller than a fob. The key blade can be cut to work in the door lock. My Ram came with one because I did not want a remote fob. I have a couple of those blanks if anyone is interested and can cut one to your code from a pic of your key blade.
Link in my Dart forum for sale thread:
https://www.dodge-dart.org/threads/...arness-rfhm-and-more.62274/page-2#post-784582

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Most of us have the FOB, or more correctly called a Passive keyless entry (RKE) for the Push Button Start Vehicles
Usually there is a Valet key inside the FOB or RKE

What many people don't know, is that you can buy a Transponder Key
It would allow you to unlock your door & start your vehicle

The one for a 2010 Ram

It has a Chip in the head of the key, it cost less than $10 & then whatever your locksmith charges to cut the key & program the chip

2010-dodge-ram-truck-transponder-key-blank-39.jpg 2010-dodge-ram-truck-transponder-key-blank-39.jpg

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2010-dodge-ram-ignition-key.html

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I took a regular key that fits in FOBIK, cut the black plastic part off and gorilla taped it inside my wallet. Now whether anybody thinks this part is foolish or not I took the spare FOBIK and hid that really good inside the truck good luck to them trying to find it. If somebody wants to take your stuff they're going to take it but if I just happen to lose my key somewhere at least I got a way home.

20210315_163137.jpg

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the hardware store make a duplicate of the key in the Fobik but with no plastic just a flat key I keep that on my key ring with my house keys in my pocket. the Fobik is just connected to a carabiner I think they call it with nothing else . Normally if I screw up I can still get in the truck where the fobik is usually laying because of my stupidity. As mentioned you could hide a Fobik inside also so you only need a door key to get to it

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ah man I hear you, my college years were some lean ones that’s for sure. Hang in there you seem to have the right attitude!
He popped the truck open and programmed a new key fob to it that he had. Then he proceeded to very carefully detail how expensive each step was and I had no choice but to say “yeah go for it” hahah. I was really upset this happened considering I’m back to being a college student and spending a bunch of money to get a new fob was not on my list this month, but hey life happens. I’ll better prepare with all the tips from here! Unfortunately my only spare was 3.5 hours away and it isn’t a fob, just a physical key.