Stumped! Anyone else have any idea.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O3hemiram7

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's one of only a handful of running registered 41 Dodge pick ups on the road. Was a short production year because operation were switched over to military support until after the war when they used this same body style for a couple more years. She is restmodded and uses all late model Dakota suspension and running gear. What you see here is all the original sheet metal from 41 even the original Red and black factory paint was preserved under a few coats of clear with a little lilac pearl thrown in for pop.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a friend with a 38 plymouth pickup I have been trying to buy for years.

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok Gents HNY....or Not....
‘03 1500, 5.7 HEMI 228K miles, Well maintained, NO previous major engine/trans issues.
Jan 24th, for No apparent reason it lost power while driving home, started rough idling. So I put it into N, Pulled over, and turned off. Opened Hood, No leaks, spills, smells.
Waited a few mins, restarted, but rough sputtering idle (never done this before), so I shut it off. Had it towed home.
Jan25th: tried to start, had full Elec Power, could hear things spinning up, but NOTHING. Engine Wouldn’t turn, much less over. Left key in ON, put into D and pushed vehicle back-forth but Fan/belts didn’t move and truck rolled as pushed without resistance; looked underneath and trans-Shaft turned when rolled.
I’m NOT a gear-head and fear the worst....
NEED SME help on how bad this might be!!

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok Gents HNY....or Not....
‘03 1500, 5.7 HEMI 228K miles, Well maintained, NO previous major engine/trans issues.
Jan 24th, for No apparent reason it lost power while driving home, started rough idling. So I put it into N, Pulled over, and turned off. Opened Hood, No leaks, spills, smells.
Waited a few mins, restarted, but rough sputtering idle (never done this before), so I shut it off. Had it towed home.
Jan25th: tried to start, had full Elec Power, could hear things spinning up, but NOTHING. Engine Wouldn’t turn, much less over. Left key in ON, put into D and pushed vehicle back-forth but Fan/belts didn’t move and truck rolled as pushed without resistance; looked underneath and trans-Shaft turned when rolled.
I’m NOT a gear-head and fear the worst....
NEED SME help on how bad this might be!!

Engine frozen? Could be the timing jumped and now the pistons are up against the open valves.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The best way is to pull the water pump and harmonic balancer (and everything in the way) and timing chain cover and look at the condition of the timing chain and sprockets. If they are badly worn, it will be obvious. Chain will be very loose and teeth on the sprockets will be worn or missing.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Remove the spark plugs and look for physical damage. Broken valve spring leading to a dropped valve can be a issue with 03/04. #6 cylinder is often the culprit.

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha
Will give those a look

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, Redtruck-Va wins!!
Got my sick truck into the shop this week and mechanic scoped it and it revealed bad compression and a Broken valve spring which lead to a dropped valve = stuck Engine....

and an est. $4.5K to replace engine...ugh

May be time to start looking for a newer ride...!!

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
Well, Redtruck-Va wins!!
Got my sick truck into the shop this week and mechanic scoped it and it revealed bad compression and a Broken valve spring which lead to a dropped valve = stuck Engine....

I got a new motor installed in miami for 3k out the door
hemi took them 4 days..
I can send the info if u like

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

cheffrank_357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hem 5.7
Might be worth the trip down here see the superbowl and get a new engine for less than a new truck! Lol

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Good time to build an engine and keep the old girl gping...

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I do the engine, I’d have to add another $1.8K for a new Trans too.

Hard to dump that much cabbage into something that’s already 17ys old

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If I do the engine, I’d have to add another $1.8K for a new Trans too.

Hard to dump that much cabbage into something that’s already 17ys old

It's called hot rodding, doesn't necessarily make any sense (cents). It's easy to spend the cost of a new truck on one....

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, Redtruck-Va wins!!

Used 5.7 Hemis are common. You might go that route. Do a compression test, and borescope the cylinders and maybe replace the valve springs

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mech said he scoped 4 or 5 cylinders to verify damage, so not just a valve issue. The breakage has locked the engine up and at least 2 of the cyl have to be re-bored because of dings in them.

sigh....
and the Hits just keep on comin’...!!