Subwoofer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me JL has always sounded better in a bigger box so I would look at not getting the power wedges and make your own to what sounded good to you at the shop then get the 12in version of those. If you are willing to cut the back wall cover I know for a fact you can get a huge box back there. I have 2 10s and they both have a cube each and I have room for my amp rack in the middle.

OP
OP
mocaby73

mocaby73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They only call for .5 per speaker. Im not willing to cut anything.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet you can get .75 with still having full adjusability of your seats. There really is a ton of room even without cutting.

OP
OP
mocaby73

mocaby73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can get the power wedges cheaper then I can buy the subs by itself. If Im not satisfied with them I can always try them in a different box. What do you think of the amp?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey thats a damn good call on getting them cheaper and as far as the amp goes for the price I've never been able to complain about pioneer. I would go for more head room personally and shoot for a 1200.1 and be easy with the gains since you would have to be burping to see the actual 800w rms off the pioneer amp. Take a look at Soundqubed amps as that is about as good as it gets for bang for the buck.

DjOrionXTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"a sealed box is more musical" & "a ported box will hit lower bass easier" is a huge generality. Your statement can be true, but can also be very un-true as well. Depends on the subwoofer, and box.
For instance, a ported box that's too small and tuned in the 50hz range will never do well in the lower frequencies....it will be loud as heck in the 45-55hz range, but will VERY quickly fall apart in the lower 20-45hz range. Ported boxes have a very small window of performance or output which is why tuning a ported box is so critical...i always tune a ported box in the 28-32hz range. A sealed box can be very musical if the right subwoofer is in the right sealed box. A Kicker Comp or any Rockford sub will never be "musical" in a sealed box....they are not made to be musical...they're made to get loud and that's it. If you think a Kicker can get musical, you've never heard a "SQ" specific sub.
OP, you have a lot of choices and it comes down to what your musical preferences are, how much you want to spend, and your space limitations for an enclosure....until we know that info, we're simply throwing ideas into the wind

Not to create a ******* contest, the port is tuned to the nominal frequency(Fs) of the speaker, but you knew that already.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good advice. Sounqubed is great value. I have their older Audioque 1200.1 and for $249 or so it rocks out (powering a DD2512)

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Not to create a ******* contest, the port is tuned to the nominal frequency(Fs) of the speaker, but you knew that already.

My Arc Audio Black 12V2's have a Fs of 20.5hz....so I should tune my ported box to 20.5hz? I don't think so
Where I tune my enclosures depends on all the t/s parameters, what I want my subs to do given the application, and how the subwoofer models on winisd pro.
I can't remember the last time I tuned an enclosure specifically at the subwoofer's Fs....again, tons of variables

OP
OP
mocaby73

mocaby73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got my subs and amp in today. Havent had much time to mess with it yet but I believe two of these Jl subs are more than enough in a rc truck. Not quite sure on how to set everything for the cleanest sound. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look up setting gains with a DMM on youtube thats the most accurate without getting expensive equipment to do it.