Suggestions for old PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
There hasnt been a big block Mopar since 1978. The V10 is a small block also.

The LiL Red Express was brought to market in 1978 to combat emissions that killed the big block. In 1978 the Dodge truck was faster than the corvette.

In 1992 when the the 318 Magnum came out it was more powerful than that years 360. In 1993 the 360 became a Magnum and that lasted til 2003 when the Hemi took the 360 spot in the line up.

For the 70s you have the 225 slant 6, 318, 360, and then the 400 and 440 big blocks.

In 88 the slant gave way to the 3.9l V6.

The amount of money nice condition Dodge trucks are going for...i would find the most complete truck body/interior wise...not worry much about the engine and then do a Hemi swap with the transmission of your choice.

A guy local to me has a 572 Hemi powered W250 Powerwagon 1978 I believe. It is an absolutely gorgeous truck. It has been at both Chrysler and All Truck Carlisle. It has been a featured truck in their displays the last few years.

My SD card isn't communicating with my phone right now or I would post some pics.

If you are close enough to Pennsylvania and you are a fan of any year Mopar truck you need to attend those 2 shows.

https://carlisleevents.com/events/events-detail/index?id=chrysler+nationals

https://www.carlisleevents.com/events/events-detail/index?id=truck+nationals

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I hope @56PW17 will let me post his 56. Cause she is a beauty. This is my favorite model. And have been looking for a restoration project for me and my son for the past 6 months.

View attachment 206153

Saw this on Craigslist and then saw your post. Might be just what you want:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/kingsburg-1941-dodge-wc-ex-army-truck/7119863836.html

BTW: Kingsburg is near Fresno, CA so it'd be a long haul, good luck in your search.

PS: If that URL(?) doesn't load properly, the listing was in Merced, CA's Craigslist

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Saw this on Craigslist and then saw your post. Might be just what you want:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/kingsburg-1941-dodge-wc-ex-army-truck/7119863836.html

BTW: Kingsburg is near Fresno, CA so it'd be a long haul, good luck in your search.

PS: If that URL(?) doesn't load properly, the listing was in Merced, CA's Craigslist
Wow. What a gem. Might be worth the 20hr drive. My hope was to find one running enough to drive onto a trailer but for $2,500 it is compelling.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The LiL Red Express was brought to market in 1978 to combat emissions that killed the big block. In 1978 the Dodge truck was faster than the corvette.

In 1992 when the the 318 Magnum came out it was more powerful than that years 360. In 1993 the 360 became a Magnum and that lasted til 2003 when the Hemi took the 360 spot in the line up.

For the 70s you have the 225 slant 6, 318, 360, and then the 400 and 440 big blocks.

The amount of money nice condition Dodge trucks are going for...i would find the most complete truck body/interior wise...not worry much about the engine and then do a Hemi swap with the transmission of your choice.

A guy local to me has a 572 Hemi powered W250 Powerwagon 1978 I believe. It is an absolutely gorgeous truck. It has been at both Chrysler and All Truck Carlisle. It has been a featured truck in their displays the last few years.

My SD card isn't communicating with my phone right now or I would post some pics.

If you are close enough to Pennsylvania and you are a fan of any year Mopar truck you need to attend those 2 shows.

Thanks for correcting on the v10. I was repeating what my buddy texted me but questioned it because I believe Ford’s v10 was a small block too. I’m no expert on engines and I know the whole small v big block gets confusing to us guys that don’t actually strip these things down to their entirety.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks for correcting on the v10. I was repeating what my buddy texted me but questioned it because I believe Ford’s v10 was a small block too. I’m no expert on engines and I know the whole small v big block gets confusing to us guys that don’t actually strip these things down to their entirety.
I have a Magnum V10. Greatest Mopar truck engine in my opinion. Diesel power, V8 quickness. I wish it was a big block type...488 cubic inches makes the Big Block 440 sound small lol

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Magnum V10. Greatest Mopar truck engine in my opinion. Diesel power, V8 quickness. I wish it was a big block type...488 cubic inches makes the Big Block 440 sound small lol
I’ve heard the Dodge v10 has great low end torque. My neighbor has a 8.1 Chevy dually and said that it tows great. Yours a dually?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No. @ALRedneck

Mine is a 2500 quadd cab shortbed sport. From 95 til 2002 it had more torque than the mighty Cummins.

Mine has a 5 speed manual...which makes towing even better. I prefer knowing exactly what my transmission is gonna do and when it will do it.

The V10 has a much better torque curve than the 8.1 GM...but unfortunately at the end the GM got more power while the V10 was phased out

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. @ALRedneck

Mine is a 2500 quadd cab shortbed sport. From 95 til 2002 it had more torque than the mighty Cummins.

Mine has a 5 speed manual...which makes towing even better. I prefer knowing exactly what my transmission is gonna do and when it will do it.

The V10 has a much better torque curve than the 8.1 GM...but unfortunately at the end the GM got more power while the V10 was phased out
I prefer the manual trans too. If I had known I would move back to rural AL several years ago, I would have bought one of the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 in manual trans. I was living in Nashville and rush hour traffic with a manual didn’t sound appealing. I did that once in Pensacola driving a stick during peak traffic times and that got old quick! Guess I wouldn’t have a PW if I bought that truck so it worked out!!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Rode in an old power wagon back in the day. I couldn't keep my ass on the seat as every pebble would bounce like hell. Still wouldn't mind having one though.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for the info. Those look like events I need to get to. The PW label isn't necessary. I even like the older Ramchargers. Just something old, without a computer, that I can wrench on at my leisure. I agree. After seeing the prices on these trucks on ebay, I think getting one with a decent body and dropping something newer in is the way to go. I guess Mopar has a very loyal following because prices for most Mopar vehicles is out of my price range!

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It wasnt til the hellcats hit that the mopar world got turned upside down

In 2010 I bought a 1985 W250 Power RAM for 650 bucks. Then in 2011 I bought a 1985 W150 with a plow also for 650.

Like an idiot I sold the W250 in 2014 and the W150 in 2015.

Now those same trucks in the same condition are about 2500 to 4500 bucks.

I liked it much better when I was the odd guy out owning Mopar trucks...but I aure do like RAM being popular now.

Heck, in 2002 I bought a 1979 Plymouth Trailduster on our way back from Chrysler Carlisle. All it needed was paint. 750 bucks. Now a trailduster in that condition is one very rare and 2 near 10 grand.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything old is getting expensive. K5 blazers, square body chevy trucks, early broncos etc etc....unrestored rotted out junkers are selling for more than they did when they were brand new. Antiques LOL.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own many old Mopars, including old PWs. Getting a big block is rare as they only offered the 440. The Slant 6 is great but burns oil and you will get valve chatter. The PWs is the 70s had full time 4wd to which is nice. Most came with a 318 and a 4spd. They are very good trucks, but get horrible gas mileage. My dad actually used his to pull a house off the foundation.

They did offer a 400 but that is even more rare. Check PA can get them cheap I just bought a trailduster for $500 up there just needed some engine work

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything old is getting expensive. K5 blazers, square body chevy trucks, early broncos etc etc....unrestored rotted out junkers are selling for more than they did when they were brand new. Antiques LOL.

Such a coincidence you say this as I just started searching for older ramchargers as well as the bronco and k5 bout 3 weeks ago.(think I'm having teenage withdrawals..lol)..and you are correct these prices seem ridiculous for rust buckets that I'm finding of that time period.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Such a coincidence you say this as I just started searching for older ramchargers as well as the bronco and k5 bout 3 weeks ago.(think I'm having teenage withdrawals..lol)..and you are correct these prices seem ridiculous for rust buckets that I'm finding of that time period.

Yep. They are getting out of hand...but it is what it is.

And if you find a nice clean original one or nicely restored one...they can be $20k+. Or even waaaaay more if they are a creampuff.