Sway bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Limited, air, 22", split tailgate which I love
Engine
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, air suspension. I'm not happy with the body roll and rear end stability with loads (box weight or towing). On a Sprinter 3500 I installed a Hellwig replacement sway bar and the results were very good. Is Hellwig the answer for our 1500's? Better solutions? Thanks for any input.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The sway bar will help to reduce wheel hop with a pickup truck and result in a much smoother ride. It will not fix your sway problems with a load in the bed. The problem is that more than half the load weight is on side of the rear wheels and the leaf springs are not adequate to deal with the weight.

Fix the load capacity problem with SuperSprings and the problem will be greatly reduced. A side benefit is that your shocks (dampeners) will last much longer. With coil rear springs your options are more limited and it may take special air bags to increase the load support.

I added SuperSprings to my 2500 and it was able to carry a 3700 lb slide-in camper with ease. I added the Hellwig Big Wig and rear wheel hop was greatly reduced, especially if turning and hitting a bump in the road. The sway bar transfers the impact at one wheel to the opposite wheel which is a negative in a sports coupe but a big positive with a pickup truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ no clue what @Elkman is talking about? 1500s don't have leaf springs let alone ones with the air suspension. Since when does a sway bar not help with body roll?? That's what their designed for.

@DWAM Hellwig makes a replacement rear sway bar for these trucks, and I know for a while they didn't offer a front because they stated they couldn't improve what the factory piece does. Some members have reported going with an aftermarket Panhard to stabilize the rear end also.
Keep in mind with "P" rated tires you may feel the tires squirm more than Load rated tire found on your Sprinter

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hellwig will help. The Hellwig sway bar has been a very popular option. That would help with body roll.

What stability issues are you having?

How much weight are we talking here?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The sway bar will help to reduce wheel hop with a pickup truck and result in a much smoother ride. It will not fix your sway problems with a load in the bed. The problem is that more than half the load weight is on side of the rear wheels and the leaf springs are not adequate to deal with the weight.

Exact opposite. The hellwig is a stiffer sway bar, so it means more wheel hop (or "side skip") and a "rougher" ride. And it most definitely helps control sway. And there are no leaf springs, 1500's have coils, but in this case he has air suspension (no leafs there either).

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Fix the load capacity problem with SuperSprings and the problem will be greatly reduced. A side benefit is that your shocks (dampeners) will last much longer. With coil rear springs your options are more limited and it may take special air bags to increase the load support.

I added SuperSprings to my 2500 and it was able to carry a 3700 lb slide-in camper with ease. I added the Hellwig Big Wig and rear wheel hop was greatly reduced, especially if turning and hitting a bump in the road. The sway bar transfers the impact at one wheel to the opposite wheel which is a negative in a sports coupe but a big positive with a pickup truck.
Wrong. I installed the Hellweg just for that reason and it did a good job of reducing it. I tow a fiver with the B&W and Andersen gooseneck hitch, which puts the pivot point about top of bed, so body roll was quite noticeable. It reduced it significantly and made towing solid.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I changed mine out to the Helwig. I have it set on the middle position and I noticed an improvement. I also added airbags and I run 25# when towing and I also run a few more # air in the tires. all helps to stiffen up the back end when towing. what 5er do you tow.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hated my body roll empty and much more when I added my heavy fiberglass canopy. Replaced the sway bar with a Hellwig set to the stiffest setting and now it corners with almost zero roll. Feels like a sports car now. Seems that is the direction you need to go as well.

The lizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Sandman, I have a 2019 , want to do the same, I am assuming you have a stock air suspension, can you help with a part #, cant get an answer about use with ir ride. Thanks!

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Sandman, I have a 2019 , want to do the same, I am assuming you have a stock air suspension, can you help with a part #, cant get an answer about use with ir ride. Thanks!
I ordered the one listed for the ram 1500 and it works great with the air ride.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I put the 7709 on my laramie. I think it is solid. improved handling and added some stiffness to rear end. I have it set on middle setting.