Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My best Battery made it 12years in a Corvette, was an AcDelco. Was working when I sold it, but was not 100% so the new owner bought a new one some months later.

In the RAM the battery hold under 5years, I put in the biggest that would fit

View attachment 477526
I have a battery I kid you not I bought as blemish from interstate battery in 2007. It is an optima yellow top and still works!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm finally changing the valve cover gasket on the passenger side (it's leaking badly at only 39K miles), and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can get some of these plastic clips, as I cut them, so I don't put any stress on the wiring harness. They go into the plastic valve cover:

View attachment 477769 View attachment 477770 View attachment 477771

I had some mild hopes that the esters in Red Line 5W-30 might somewhat condition that seal and slow the leak, but it had no effect, good or bad.

For now, I rigged something up:

View attachment 477772

But I'd like to get some new ones to have as a backup. The local dealership couldn't provide me with a part number and said I could only get it with a further $800 wiring harness. That is dumb. @RamCares - would you be so kind as to chime in, please?

@Hemi395 - I went with the Akebono Ultra Performance, Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid, and kept the stock rotors. I bled the system and ABS, and now I have excellent brakes. They have good bite and more control, as the brake pedal has a more linear feel. My stock rotors were in perfect shape as I only went halfway through the factory pads. The only negative in all of this is that my driver-side rear rotor got a groove towards the outside edge during the brake burnishing process. I doubt it's a pebble or debris, and I think it's more like an imperfection in the brake pad. So much for super expensive "Made in USA" brake pads, lol.
I do the same with those clips. Maybe check parts store though. My car quest has a fastener spinner that has a lot of options maybe that one too.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Better go knock on something... :happy175:

My OEM is going strong too, but I hedge my bet on all my auto and small machine batteries with a NOCO Genius5 battery tender/charger. The thing will trickle charge and repair 6v and 12v batteries (old style, AGM and Lithium), and it has successfully rehabilitated a few older batteries for me.
I keep thinking I should just replace it so I don’t run into supply chain issues . Just haven’t yet.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm finally changing the valve cover gasket on the passenger side (it's leaking badly at only 39K miles), and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can get some of these plastic clips, as I cut them, so I don't put any stress on the wiring harness. They go into the plastic valve cover:

View attachment 477769 View attachment 477770 View attachment 477771

I had some mild hopes that the esters in Red Line 5W-30 might somewhat condition that seal and slow the leak, but it had no effect, good or bad.

For now, I rigged something up:

View attachment 477772

But I'd like to get some new ones to have as a backup. The local dealership couldn't provide me with a part number and said I could only get it with a further $800 wiring harness. That is dumb. @RamCares - would you be so kind as to chime in, please?

@Hemi395 - I went with the Akebono Ultra Performance, Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid, and kept the stock rotors. I bled the system and ABS, and now I have excellent brakes. They have good bite and more control, as the brake pedal has a more linear feel. My stock rotors were in perfect shape as I only went halfway through the factory pads. The only negative in all of this is that my driver-side rear rotor got a groove towards the outside edge during the brake burnishing process. I doubt it's a pebble or debris, and I think it's more like an imperfection in the brake pad. So much for super expensive "Made in USA" brake pads, lol.
Knowing FCA those clips probably come with the harness and aren't sold separately. Kinda like the heater hose clamps that attach to the valve covers, they only come with the heater hoses.....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Better go knock on something... :happy175:

My OEM is going strong too, but I hedge my bet on all my auto and small machine batteries with a NOCO Genius5 battery tender/charger. The thing will trickle charge and repair 6v and 12v batteries (old style, AGM and Lithium), and it has successfully rehabilitated a few older batteries for me.
How do you like the Genius 5? I just ordered one because I see it has desulfatation capabilities...

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
How do you like the Genius 5? I just ordered one because I see it has desulfatation capabilities...
I really like it a lot. It recharged and rejuvenated a number of batteries for me, including my OEM from my '17 Rebel. It's basically plug and play, although you need to select which battery type you're hooking up to but that's easy.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really like it a lot. It recharged and rejuvenated a number of batteries for me, including my OEM from my '17 Rebel. It's basically plug and play, although you need to select which battery type you're hooking up to but that's easy.
Awesome, thanks! Im going to do a desulfate on my 3 year old Duralast AGM when I get it

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Have you guys seen these before? Looks like it would be helpful especially on these rams if someone else tightened the filter down. I have no affiliation, just thought it was cool.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Have you guys seen these before? Looks like it would be helpful especially on these rams if someone else tightened the filter down. I have no affiliation, just thought it was cool.
I need one, where they sell that?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ Looks cool.

I have a pair of oil filter pliers and they work like a charm. If you can't get it off with these it isn't coming off and they are cheap.

I would be interested to see the price on that.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@rule18 I got the Noco Genius 5 installed, thanks for posting about it.

Have you done a desulfate while the battery is hooked up to the truck? It doesn't say in the owners manual if it's OK to do while hooked up to the truck or not. I read online it can potentially fry some modules because ot pulses high voltage as part of the process...
20211124_113909.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@rule18 I got the Noco Genius 5 installed, thanks for posting about it.

Have you done a desulfate while the battery is hooked up to the truck? It doesn't say in the owners manual if it's OK to do while hooked up to the truck or not. I read online it can potentially fry some modules because ot pulses high voltage as part of the process...
View attachment 478312
Is that permanently mounted ?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that permanently mounted ?
Yeah, it comes with eyelets that you attach to the battery so all you have to do is plug it into 110.

I have mine routed to a plug with a rubber cap in the drivers side wheel well. That way when I know my truck won't be driven for awhile in the winter I can just run an extension cord over and plug it in. The second one is for the block heater.
20200922_115542.jpg20200922_115529.jpg