Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid employs chemistry that predates 2008. They never changed it since then. Even Valvoline MaxLife is far more robust than ZF8 fluid, as many here use it successfully in their transmissions.

Valvoline tests Maxlife at 280F continuously for 60K miles in their lab every time there is a reformulation. That's the benchmark it has to pass. I have yet to see a ZF8 transmission fail on MaxLife.

I use AMSOIL ATL because I believe it to be even better than MaxLife. I reserve judgment on Red Line D6 because I haven't used it yet, however, I believe it's pretty good, though not as advanced as AMSOIL ATL.

However, one of the biggest Red Line customers are BMW enthusiasts, and they have ZF8 transmissions in their vehicles. Therefore, I believe that when it comes to the ZF8 transmissions, Red Line D6 is an excellent choice.

Just about any of the fluids I listed above is better by leaps and bounds than the Shell manufactured ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid.
I'm under warranty, so I'm assuming they'd want me to stick with the zf fluid...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ZF markets its own oil. There is a thread about this in ZF transmissions. The claim is ZF is for the most part "sealed for life" because it is just soooooo good, along with the lubricant, it just doesn't need changing! Which is 100% b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t for any of us that made a career in this industry. There was much discussion on what the oil actually is, with some spec comparisons and oil analysis leading to a conclusion of an ATF+4 that wasn't even all Group IV base oil. In other words, nothing more than Mopar ATF +4 for triple the profit.
dont forget the green dye, lol. The real question is even though the ZF could benefit from 4/5 base oils as far as temperature operating range, are they too slippery for the clutches? It may be that application itself with this injected heat, actually makes true group 4 a less then ideal option. It would be ideal to use group 3 and change it often, but of course we know that is a PITA. Just your typical fca quagmire.

ZF Fluid

Viscosity at 100°C 5.6
Pour point -42°C

Maxlife multi-

Viscosity at 100°C 5.9
Pour Point -42c
Add a impressive VI at 163
Very decent fluid.

Redline d6-

Vis @ 100°C, CSt 6.3
Pour Point, °C -60
VI 163

Amsoil Multi

Vis @ 100, 6.3
Pour point, -65c
VI, 159

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Both the AMSOIL ATL and Red Line D6 shear down to 5.8~5.9 cSt @ 100C and stay there. To me, this isn't a real concern. Since I installed the PPE oil pan, I get 10F cooler temps on average, will probably be even better in the summer when it's hot outside and my transmission stays between 175F~185F. It cools down fast at speed due to the fins.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Germans do weird perfectionist crap like this, as do the Japanese.

Edit: I do like they psychedelic grease colors they make these days, though.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ZF markets its own oil. There is a thread about this in ZF transmissions. The claim is ZF is for the most part "sealed for life" because it is just soooooo good, along with the lubricant, it just doesn't need changing! Which is 100% b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t for any of us that made a career in this industry. There was much discussion on what the oil actually is, with some spec comparisons and oil analysis leading to a conclusion of an ATF+4 that wasn't even all Group IV base oil. In other words, nothing more than Mopar ATF +4 for triple the profit.
Thanks Hemiman. I was just curious. As suspected, all marketing hype.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The sin of cow production is not the making of methane, it is in the fact we don't capture it.. Count me in on this, toyota concept car takes the **** from ONE cow to run for a year. If they get this up in widepsread production, I am all about it. Cows, the gift that keep on giving. Every steak and hamburger you eat, is helping save the world from gasoline, wow who thought such common sense could actually be good for us?

R.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They couldn't think of a better name for it though, like turdolla instead of corolla? The price will be 50k entry level, but if they pump the gov't into like they do EV, maybe that will come down.

from link above post...

• The company is currently building its first manure-powered fueling station in California. The Mirai's success depends on reliable fuel cell infrastructure.

R.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does the cow, trailer and f*a*r*t tube come with it?
It is time to rethink fossil fuel, not because of some hoky religion called climate change, but because the undeveloped world has caught up to the developed world and now surpassed it in fuel consumption. The old estimates of ground oil running out in 2060 are way too optimistic in today's world. I applaud toyota and California in the endeavor, I can't ever imagine a guy like me would applaud those two entities, but it happened. This is great!

Get new bumper stickers, eat a cow, save the planet, thanks California.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It is time to rethink fossil fuel, not because of some hoky religion called climate change, but because the undeveloped world has caught up to the developed world and now surpassed it in fuel consumption. The old estimates of ground oil running out in 2060 are way too optimistic in today's world. I applaud toyota and California in the endeavor, I can't ever imagine a guy like me would applaud those two entities, but it happened. This is great!

Get new bumper stickers, eat a cow, save the planet, thanks California.

Of course, you know I know all that. We were running manure digester gas on n.g. engine generators decades ago. Bottom line is there are too many people on the planet for the planet to support. Hence the wars and general struggles to survive. As for me, I don't joy ride vehicles, and am a closet forester. But that doesn't have much to do with synthetic oil, so end rant.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Where do you think synthetic oil comes from? When they run out of fossil fuel say goodbye to group 3 oil with it, along with groups 1,2 and 4. It is too bad we waited this long to consider converting to a renewable fuel, it indeed would save oil for lubrication instead of burning it up. Newer synthetic oils will come from grown sources like it or not, in the not so distant future. 2% of those barrels are for lubricants, but we have an absolute glut of those on the market, way more then necessary. The need for lubricants isnt why those barrels are being pulled from the earth as fast as possible.

None the less, when we run out of gas, within a short time there will be no more group 1,2,3 or 4 oil. Many of us will be alive to see this unless there is a ww3, your kids kids will live through it. **** fueled cars is clean burning, can save ground oil for lubrication and heating, but unless there is a market for it, this great idea will die on the vine.

R.png

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
They couldn't think of a better name for it though, like turdolla instead of corolla? The price will be 50k entry level, but if they pump the gov't into like they do EV, maybe that will come down.

from link above post...

• The company is currently building its first manure-powered fueling station in California. The Mirai's success depends on reliable fuel cell infrastructure.

View attachment 484173
I always figured that's what 'TRD' was an abbreviation for...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And where does all the energy come from to feed the cows? C'mon, man.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And where does all the energy come from to feed the cows? C'mon, man.
10-10-10 synthetic fert, all day. Either that or municipal human waste fert? Take a playbook from the developing world and make it better. They take it straight into fields untreated. Life is a circle, currently most municipalities waste the resource we make on every flush. Thinking we can go on without new ideas is just not helpful. My suggestion, find a way the next generation can live as good as this one by great ideas like toyo/cali idea of poo fuel.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Next generations 5w20 synthetic oil? vii's will be gone as well, so just add some esters, boom. I doubt there will be much difference in performance, and it probably will be better then waiting a billion years for the oil fields to replenish themselves, lol? ok I end my fun for the day, one to grow on.

51lHQuArpeL.jpg

Yes there is some paper this will be what the future can be, or likely will be.

look at project farm vid on bottom of that thread.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Solar and nuke will predominate. Along with debilitating plagues, as we continue to overpopulate. Synthetic lubes will lose relevance.