Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 998 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Guys, I just traded in my '20 1500 for a '22 2500 w/ 6.4L. Ive been running Redline 5w-30, Lubegard, and RP 20-820 in my 5.7L since forever, even in my '17.
Is there a "special combo" for the 6.4L? 0w oil seems kind of thin? Im sure this has been covered in this thread, but its getting a little long in the tooth.
Its got 38k miles on it already. Ill prob change the oil and filter soon as I get it home.

25001.jpeg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
IMO special combo for the 6.4 is redline 5w30 and that filter. No lubegard. Redline 5w30 is a stable oil, it is 12 visc going in and 12 going out. If you went to a 0w40 redline it would go in at 14-15 and will go out at 10, plus you will have sludge building vii's all over the engine, as with most 0w40's same thing. A stout 0w30 is even a good play for the 6/4, or 15w40 if you must, which opens the discussion to all the HD oils and those you would add lubegard too. But 5w30 redline is not your daddy's 5w30, if you want to stay with the voodoo, that is the correct one.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I tried 0W40 RedLine, since that is the factory recommended viscocity. It worked better than PUP, but the tick would return. 5W40 worked better. Sadly, I did not try 5W30, but that's what I would go to first if I still had a 6.4.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Sooooo... didn't I just receive my box of HPL SC 0W30 cyber monday 25% off oil from the UPS guy today.... FML!!!!!!

We've all seen Ace Ventura where he's kicking field goals with his delivery package.... well... that was my case of oil today (4 x 1-gallon jugs).

Somewhere on its travels 'they' opened up the factory box of HPL oil and repackaged it in a hugely oversized box.... but then stuffed it with some plastic pallet wrap and called it a day.

Every jug of oil was leaking and looked like an NFL kicker smashed it through the goal posts.
The UPS driver said, just accept it because you already paid for it, and then file a claim. Or, don't and it'll sit in a pile on a floor in a warehouse until it gets dealt with... not really a choice, eh!

Anyhoo....

I emailed pics to David at HPL, and this man got back to me within an hour. He apologized and asked if I was okay with him sending a 5-gallon pail of HPL SC 0W30 out at no charge, and he would mark it as a sample so that I pay virtually nothing for duty and/or taxes, etc.

Guys, HPL has been nothing but exceptional to work with on my last two orders. Each order had issues with shipping costs and coordination as I am in Ontario, Canada (Fed Ex vs UPS).

David immediately refunded me the shipping differences both times and followed up each time, too. Really hard to beat great customer service like HPL's.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sooooo... didn't I just receive my box of HPL SC 0W30 cyber monday 25% off oil from the UPS guy today.... FML!!!!!!

We've all seen Ace Ventura where he's kicking field goals with his delivery package.... well... that was my case of oil today (4 x 1-gallon jugs).

Somewhere on its travels 'they' opened up the factory box of HPL oil and repackaged it in a hugely oversized box.... but then stuffed it with some plastic pallet wrap and called it a day.

Every jug of oil was leaking and looked like an NFL kicker smashed it through the goal posts.
The UPS driver said, just accept it because you already paid for it, and then file a claim. Or, don't and it'll sit in a pile on a floor in a warehouse until it gets dealt with... not really a choice, eh!

Anyhoo....

I emailed pics to David at HPL, and this man got back to me within an hour. He apologized and asked if I was okay with him sending a 5-gallon pail of HPL SC 0W30 out at no charge, and he would mark it as a sample so that I pay virtually nothing for duty and/or taxes, etc.

Guys, HPL has been nothing but exceptional to work with on my last two orders. Each order had issues with shipping costs and coordination as I am in Ontario, Canada (Fed Ex vs UPS).

David immediately refunded me the shipping differences both times and followed up each time, too. Really hard to beat great customer service like HPL's.

I've had three orders shipped from them across with 0 issues, not sure what happened there. The last time they used UPS and it arrived in perfect condition in about 4 days from placing the order, they went out of their way to look for the cheapest shipper as well. Fedex was $85 and they found UPS would ship it at $40 instead.

That said the pails are probably the safer option lol. I just can't decide on a formula yet so I'm still ordering small batches before I commit to a larger run.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Anyhoo....

Great to hear.
Do you think Customs had something to do with this issue? We used to have hella issues with Customs at work, which was dumb because CA & USA do so much biz.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Great to hear.
Do you think Customs had something to do with this issue? We used to have hella issues with Customs at work, which was dumb because CA & USA do so much biz.
Likely customs being nosy.... but my first order with HPL was perfect with UPS. It arrived in the HPL factory 4-gallon packaging.

Just really sucks that some **** just repackaged my order and did so with zero FFF'sss given. UPS is also sneaky though as they charge a dirty amount for brokerage, on top of duty, too.

Fed Ex keeps it all in one and is usually the overall less expensive option.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've had three orders shipped from them across with 0 issues, not sure what happened there. The last time they used UPS and it arrived in perfect condition in about 4 days from placing the order, they went out of their way to look for the cheapest shipper as well. Fedex was $85 and they found UPS would ship it at $40 instead.

That said the pails are probably the safer option lol. I just can't decide on a formula yet so I'm still ordering small batches before I commit to a larger run.
David commented to me that the pail is the safest way to go for no damages.

He said that typically HPL doesn't do 5-gallon pails of their HPL SC 0W30, so he would have a pail made up for my order and ship it out within a few days. How's that for service....

I asked him to take his time as I still have 2-gallons from my first order.

I've salvaged a good portion of this 4-gallon order and it's indoors in a fresh cleaned out Home Depot pail. I'm pretty sure it'll be okay for the long term being kept inside in a nice and dry environment.

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Down here Federal Distress is more the package smasher.
I once had a product go out to South Dakota and sit there until I raised hell with them.

I dread seeing a FedEx truck pull in the driveway. Usually some kind of damage, where UPS rarely has any. UPS has had more damage than usual this year, but still much better than FedEx.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Anyhoo....

sounds like hpl is class act!

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FedEx and UPS both have issues with lost packages and smashed packages. I worked at a UPS about 25 years ago sorting packages on the boxline where the smaller delivery trucks would then load them from the box line into their trucks. The stories I can tell from my short time there as a college student is crazy. Me recommendation is to always ask how much dollar amount is covered if you ship something, and if it is worth more, pay for the insurance to cover it if and when it gets lost or destroyed. I saw many times this time of year where employees saw food, mostly chocolate getting shipped, smashing it on the ground and then eating some of the goodies, and saying it was already smashed. I saw a bunch of computers getting shipped...the boxes stuck out about 2" from the end of the box line. Policy is a box can't hang out at all, so...shoulders were thrown into the boxes to make them fit...I wonder how many computers got broken from that?!?!

This is all from 1 UPS location and 25 years ago. Hopefully things have changed since then, but the way it is hard to get good workers anymore, I can only guess that it is worse. The truck drivers were great from what I saw...it was all the unloaders of the semi trucks, and the sorters that were the bad apples.