Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 997 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know but I would assume that it's around 60psi. I've only seen my oil pressure over 60 once or twice and I don't know if it's me backing off a bit or the valve relieving the pressure. I try not to push mine that hard when it's cold.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you order $100 or more shipping is free.

I would much rather spend $53 and get free shipping and NO Tax! ---> & get the same or extremely similar results.
{I don't know Just me}!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would much rather spend $53 and get free shipping and NO Tax! ---> & get the same or extremely similar results.
{I don't know Just me}!
I completely understand if all you're doing is a one shot deal.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve just had luck with Amsoil products, so until it doesn’t work I’m not changing it. I usually order everything I need at once to get the free shipping and I don’t pay tax because it’s in another state, but I completely understand why you do what you do, I definitely take advantage of that when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking AFE (2nd one) or Mag Hytec, because of features and capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the Mag Hytec on my F150 and the one thing I did not like about it was that the O-ring gasket left a gap between the diff and the cover and driving in the crap we drive in resulted in surface rust forming on the diff where the gasket would normally be. I eventually pulled the cover off and ran RTV around the very outside edge to stop the road grime from getting in there. Other than that the cover was nice but spendy. I also ran the 75W140 in the back diff as Ford recommended it. I know yours doesn't call for it just putting that out there. Never any problems in 10 years and we get very cold here. I do have a heated garage so the truck was never parked outside overnight when it was very cold but it often sat outside in the cold during the day.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I don't see anything that definitively states what the actual oil pump bypass pressure is, but here are the normal operating pressures:

It's fairly safe to assume the system pump pressure relief valve cracking pressure is around 110 psi.

Corey: You did get an Alldata account, right? If so, the above info is in the engine specification tables. This info is for the 6.4L, but it only shows overhaul/inspection tolerances for 5.7 oil pump, so they are most likely the same.

As for oil filter pressure relief valve? Well, it doesn't technically have one, per se. Not one that effects system pressure, anyway. For the most part, bearing tolerances create the resistance to flow, which dictates indicated system pressure. The oil filter is in it's own little microcosm down there. As eluded to by others earlier, it actually has a PSID (differential pressure) relief valve. All it sees is the pressure difference across the filter and that is what it reacts to. It's definitely possible that the two can cross in certain conditions, but it's tertiary and coincidental.

There are many good threads on this subject out there if you care to go real deep into the weeds. For all intents and purposes of the question asked, it is possible that the viscosity or contamination can cause the filter to go into a bypassing state, but very highly unlikely that is what you are hearing, as it's not an on/off affair; it would just quietly bypass and you'd never know it. Without having gauges installed before and after the filter, we'd never be able to tell if it were bypassing, so the pressure at which it is set to bypass is really irrelevant.

For you aircraft guys... that's why there are DPIs, right?! When a DPI pops, what happens to system pressure? Nothing... unless there is a problem with the pump or other component in the system. Same thing happens here, but it always resets itself by spring tension and there is no visual indication. It's just a very very simple hydraulic system.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see anything that definitively states what the actual oil pump bypass pressure is, but here are the normal operating pressures:

It's fairly safe to assume the system pump pressure relief valve cracking pressure is around 110 psi.

Corey: You did get an Alldata account, right? If so, the above info is in the engine specification tables. This info is for the 6.4L, but it only shows overhaul/inspection tolerances for 5.7 oil pump, so they are most likely the same.

As for oil filter pressure relief valve? Well, it doesn't technically have one, per se. Not one that effects system pressure, anyway. For the most part, bearing tolerances create the resistance to flow, which dictates indicated system pressure. The oil filter is in it's own little microcosm down there. As eluded to by others earlier, it actually has a PSID (differential pressure) relief valve. All it sees is the pressure difference across the filter and that is what it reacts to. It's definitely possible that the two can cross in certain conditions, but it's tertiary and coincidental.

There are many good threads on this subject out there if you care to go real deep into the weeds. For all intents and purposes of the question asked, it is possible that the viscosity or contamination can cause the filter to go into a bypassing state, but very highly unlikely that is what you are hearing, as it's not an on/off affair; it would just quietly bypass and you'd never know it. Without having gauges installed before and after the filter, we'd never be able to tell if it were bypassing, so the pressure at which it is set to bypass is really irrelevant.

For you aircraft guys... that's why there are DPIs, right?! When a DPI pops, what happens to system pressure? Nothing... unless there is a problem with the pump or other component in the system. Same thing happens here, but it always resets itself by spring tension and there is no visual indication. It's just a very very simple hydraulic system.
Yes I do and I just looked that up and it's the exact same specs for the 5.7. Its most likely the same oil pump.

Yeah I would read that as 110psi is the bypass setting. The highest I think I've ever seen mine go when it was in the negative single digits was 70psi

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I checked my AllDataDIY account for the same thing and found the same info you did. Pretty useless, really :)

I forget where I heard 60 psi....but my truck has been over 60 psi, usually during a cold morning even after remote start and letting it run for 5-10 minutes and keeping it under 2K RPM.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow up on the Blackstone/post office **** show, got an email from Blackstone and they're sending me some prepaid labels.

So in theory, I should be able to put the lable on the sample container and put it in my own mailbox with the flag up correct? Was it @U&A that posted thats what he does?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Follow up on the Blackstone/post office **** show, got an email from Blackstone and they're sending me some prepaid labels.

So in theory, I should be able to put the lable on the sample container and put it in my own mailbox with the flag up correct? Was it @U&A that posted thats what he does?
That's what I do if I'm using the USPS one. I do think U&A said the same as well. The UPS one gets there a little faster, but then I have to drop it in a drop box somewhere.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know but I would assume that it's around 60psi. I've only seen my oil pressure over 60 once or twice and I don't know if it's me backing off a bit or the valve relieving the pressure. I try not to push mine that hard when it's cold.

I find myself doing the same with my truck when cold , if I don't have time to warm up I'll select the fluids temps and pressures page on the instrument cluster and drive keeping the oil pressure 60 and below .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
^^ x2. Some Subarus have an interesting way to let you know to take it easy on it. There is a blue temp-looking light on the dash that comes on right after startup until it is "safe" (as described by the manual) to put the engine under a strenuous load. No temp gauge, just cold and hot lights.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm certain I read 65-67psi on the oil pump bypass or at least something close to that a while back ...errr , hate it when I can't remember a reference ...

I was questioning the 65 back then because on my instrument cluster 60 is right in the middle of the bar graff page for oil pressure .

I wonder what it is I'm hearing then .
It's absolutely sounds like a fluid relief valve .
It's not loud enough or long enough to record .
I'm gonna see if it happens when hot on a subsequent start. Maybe my engine is just so damn quiet on the 10W-30 Redline I'm just hearing normal everyday things now [emoji16][emoji848]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know the 5.7L internal by-pass press of the oil pump ?

Also the by-pass pressure of the RP 20-820 Filter .

I ask because since I changed my oil last week on a couple cooler mornings here ( mid to upper 20's) during a couple start ups I'm hearing what sounds like a momentary opening and quickly closing Fluid check /by-pass valve .
This is a very quick sound , not loud but noticable .... probably 1/10th of a second in duration.
According to my oil pressure display everything seems the norm ...high idle on a coold soaked Engine start at 30° OAT or less is 59 - 60 psi , hot idle with a 200° oil temp 41- 42 psi and 65mph with the engine at operating temp is 54 - 55 psi.

Thanks for your input .

Interesting, and kind of necessary if you want the protection. You see manufacturers of everything related to oil making stuff to deal with cold oil. If the RP has a weakness, and I don't know that it does, but this would be it. Some say the other bypass is a better option, but would have that done the same thing?

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
my bad, i meant how thick was it?

read this
Interesting read. You've talked me out of using it at this time. Again, since I hate to waste it, I'll probably save it for this next winter. Or possibly put it in the CR-V. We shall see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm certain I read 65-67psi on the oil pump bypass or at least something close to that a while back ...errr , hate it when I can't remember a reference ...

I was questioning the 65 back then because on my instrument cluster 60 is right in the middle of the bar graff page for oil pressure .

I wonder what it is I'm hearing then .
It's absolutely sounds like a fluid relief valve .
It's not loud enough or long enough to record .
I'm gonna see if it happens when hot on a subsequent start. Maybe my engine is just so damn quiet on the 10W-30 Redline I'm just hearing normal everyday things now [emoji16][emoji848]

Maybe the A/C Expansion Valve right there on the pax firewall? It can "flutter" a bit until A/C line pressure settles after startup. That's the only pressure related liquid mechanical valve I can think of that would fluctuate on startup.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't judge, good luck with it. Check the oil thickness when you drain and report the findings in this thread if you don't mind. I don't really know the base, it is either a dense oil base or a "fluffed" by polymer oil base. If it is the later, the oil will be less thick when you change the oil. If that product has an use, it would be in high mileage engines with thin oil spec (hemi), or something you want to add when selling or trading in a vehicle. You can always save it for that. This is what they say and you can read between the lines.

KEY BENEFITS
  • Increase oil life at least 50% longer
  • Reduces oil consumption
  • Eliminates dry starts
  • Raises oil pressure
  • Increases power and miles per gallon
1 line it true, oils have vii's which thin with use, so technically this will thicken those oils. 2 line is true (or possibly true) as rings wear the allow more blow by and thicker oil will protect that area somewhat. 3 line is true (maybe) the theory being when you shut off your truck and the oil is hot a thicker oil may have some oil left on the metal but that is pretty thin. 4 line is 100% true. 5 line is true assuming same conditions as number 2, older engine with more blow by. So it isn't like they are selling lies, but the same thing can be achieved by going up in weight and not adding a foreign additive to your carefully crafted formula.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why does the other oil thread have like 10 votes or more with one day handles with less then 5 posts all voting Amsoil, lol? Funny

Great marketing idea, pump up numbers to make other members think that is what everyone is using, lol. I wonder why they stopped at 10. 6 more and you can overtake the golden egg. Well in internet votes not formula, that battle was over long ago. Seams like the same thing with the presidential polls, fake news. Better to fake it then make it. I want to buy stock in Amsoil, they are just smarter at marketing then like everyone else.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe the A/C Expansion Valve right there on the pax firewall? It can "flutter" a bit until A/C line pressure settles after startup. That's the only pressure related liquid mechanical valve I can think of that would fluctuate on startup.
That's one I did not think of , If that's it , it should not make that sound if the AC clutch is not engaged ? I'll try starting with and without the AC on ...
The sound does kinda sound like it's coming from the pax side firewall ...