Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,003 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 665 23.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not defending the NAPA one by any means but I swear the media inside the Ram filter was better. I can't remember now and I have been using the royal purple ones now so I guess I don't care anymore either but I almost wonder if they use cheaper media on that filter for the Toyota you showed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Apparently, Chrysler realizes there is an issue with internal wear on the lifter.

It may be a byproduct of being forced to use thin low zinc oil. Issues may show up that isn't a manufacturing problem but a side effect of government intervention and oil politics.
:flipthebird: the gov't

Definitely valid point Smiley, not relevant to the ram filter, but hey I ordered two filters for my wife's car and those are what I got. It is limited market for her canister filter and the synthetic filters that happen to be available. I would be just as good off with a ****** compared to that piece of junk they put the Platinum name on. This is just what we with Americans deal with anyway, it is like none of us would settle for this garbage if we were to build it but we end up getting stuck with it anyway. Working guys aren't running chit, it is pencil pushing geeks that decide what quality we have to take. Glad to have some good options anyway.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Burla,
Zn additive is for extreme pressure(EP) lubricity.
Lifter plunger slidling at 1\2 engine rpm uses boundary layer shear lubricity property for anti wear lubrication.

Found your Hemi\Redline u- tube video along with > 14000 others...only detectable noise was fuel injectors.
Noticed your master cylinder is on the right side of the hemi, mine is on the left side?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So yeah every time I use that webcam it shows the reverse, same thing with the one yesterday.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It may be a byproduct of being forced to use thin low zinc oil. Issues may show up that isn't a manufacturing problem but a side effect of government intervention and oil politics.
:flipthebird: the gov't

Definitely valid point Smiley, not relevant to the ram filter, but hey I ordered two filters for my wife's car and those are what I got. It is limited market for her canister filter and the synthetic filters that happen to be available. I would be just as good off with a ****** compared to that piece of junk they put the Platinum name on. This is just what we with Americans deal with anyway, it is like none of us would settle for this garbage if we were to build it but we end up getting stuck with it anyway. Working guys aren't running chit, it is pencil pushing geeks that decide what quality we have to take. Glad to have some good options anyway.

Nice " pencil pushing geeks deciding on what quality we take " DAMN I don't think I could've said it better Sir ! .....wait a minute .. Sir you are showing your age with that statement !

Me , maybe I could've said it better @ my Young 45 yrs , I'd say = them pointing , clicking , mouse dragging , copy & pasting sons of ******* deciding on what quality we need ! !
Either way I agree 100% with you my HERO !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Showing my age with those old words but also showing that I am a modern man by not calling them what I wanted too. Damn Commies stole all the good cus words from what is allowable.

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. I read all 173 pages and a few links over 3 days. (It's cold with no ice for fishing) first I am running M1 euro car 0w40 in my 6.4. It didn't blow up. A lot of good info here and civil debate. I may go to amsoil for my next change. Love it in my victory motorcycle. You should see those guys debate oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We try and do it a little different around here. The largest value to this thread is the combined experiences of the forum members. All opinions are welcome and btw Amsoil is a great choice, and of course SS is their most popular top quality oil, But they also have a Euro Oil worth a look.

I don't know what I was thinking, looks like little to no Moly in that Euro oil. Burla's bad on that, SS is the good stuff.

Last edited:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
some euro oils are quite different from ours.....even in colorl

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For those who like to run Mos2, check out this VOA of Lube Guard Bio Tech. This is supposed to be soluble moly not suspension like Mos2. Looks good.

Many thanks to Blackstone Labs for running this VOA at no charge.

Aluminum / 0
Chromium / 0
Iron / 0
Copper / 0
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Molybdenum / 1891
Nickel / 0
Manganese / 0
Silver / 0
Titanium / 0
Potassium / 0
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9
Barium / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F / 47.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100C / 6.64
Flashpoint in F / 430
Fuel% / -
Antifreeze% / -
Water% / 0.0
Insolubles% / TR
TBN / 3.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Very Awesome Nutshell, also meant to boost tbn a little and dilute zinc a little, but if you ask me that looks pretty good. People aren't used to seeing those viscosities, just concentrate on Kenetic visc or cst, that is the resistance to flow we are used to. SUS is how long the oil takes to reach a temp and normal people just ignore this, even though technically you can measure SUS and CST in exact terms. They are the same thing, but we aren't used to the numbers. And the numbers tell Burla that this isn't an oil thickner Moly meant for older engines like Shaeffers, but looks pretty darn promising. It may make your 5w20 a little thinner as well, you might want to add one qrt 5w30 if you run this and want to stay near 5w20. If true this is a oil soluble moly, if I could make an moly substitute my way, it would be pretty close to this.

But, if you are running redline, do not run this, you don't need it and redline is already in the upper limit of beneficial moly. However, for you Valvoline lovers, this may be perfect and might make that oil as good as other moly oils. Generally speaking I wouldn't add this unless I was having a tick condition or high wear numbers. Now, since almost every hemi is having high wear at 5w20, this is a great thing for you to test. It would be beneficial for a forum member who is committed to finding an answer for their heavy wear to test this with a UOA. I would for sure but I am committed to seeing a 5 year wear number with redline and different weights. It looks good to me and great find Nutshell, the thread that keeps on giving.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I love that they did the Falex Pin and Vee Block Test, I have spoken on this before, my favorite test for showing the ability for the oil to resist wear. Check bottom of the page, good stuff. I'm a little suspect on the numbers on the PYB, but maybe it was old formula PYB, and maybe the esters are giving film strength. At least they chose the right test to test.

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Is there a UOA using GTL 5w20 PP in the 09 & up Hemi?

GTL would have a date stamp of Jan 2014 or later.

PP GTL platinum plus went to production Jan 2014.

Have only able to locate UOA prior to Jan 2014 for hemi.

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Prefer to run PP with 5k OCI rather than run PUP with 10k OCI.

In the past the rule was to go with heavier grade oil to reduce oil consumption, not increase oil pressure.
Less efficient ,Hotter running engines required heavier grade oil.
Conventional oil was not and still is , not as stable as full synthetic , primarily used today.

This is how Lucas Oil got started with " Oil Stabilizer" to reduce oil consumption.

The engines of today use motor oil as hydraulic fluid and engine coolant,ie, direct piston spray jets.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
3 quarts 0w40 PUP, 4 quarts 5w20 PUP with a Fram Ultra filter...it's happening today. Not really sure why I'm so excited about this. I'm a sick puppy.....

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
According to the viscosity calculator it comes out as 5w30...maybe slightly thicker. The extra moly in the 0w40 should work well

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Would estimate cocktail ,as. 2.8W28.5 grade.
Mikee likes it!

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Why so much moly?

2 qts 0w40 & 5 qts 5w20 should equal , 3.5w25.7 grade & 100 ppm moly

3 qts 0w40 & 4 qts 5w20 cocktail should have 130 ppm moly

Last edited:

Nutshell