Tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't have a 2019, But I do know that the last few up to my current '14 sport don' have assists and now way in hell you could lift it with one finger tip. I suggest you find a older one on a dealer's lot and try it.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
For years I thought who needs that. Then I thought what the heck I'll give it a try. Well I am a believer now. I like the idea that i don't have to put things down in order to open it and as I get older it's just makes opening the tailgate easier. Best part is it's a cheap mod.

DaveZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed the DeeZee one about 1 1/2 years ago...was great until 2 months ago when broke off in tailgate. Haven’t had a chance yet to replace

Chrisg86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Anyone had issues with theirs? I have a deezee one and the shock keeps popping off the stud that attaches to the tailgate. They sent me this little clip but I have no idea how to attach it.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The clip snaps onto the back of the ball socket. Make sure you pry the broken one off first.

Just installed the DeeZee one an hour ago, stupid simple and works great!

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only issue I had with mine was during winter it ripped out of my tailgate. It was pretty cold and I'm guessing that the strut wanted to lower slower than it could with the weight of the tailgate and the weakest link gave away which was the threads in the rivnut.

It was great while it lasted though, I'd probably disassemble my tailgate and pop the rest of the rivnut out and install a new one. Just never get around to it.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The tailgate on my 2015 seemed much heavier than in my 2019 Classic. Was great for the wife.

Yup, same as my 2015. Tailgate is super heavy. Tailgate assist is the thing to have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2019 Ram tailgates are aluminum I think.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can someone explain to me what the hype about a tailgate assist is all about? I can literally bring it down and put it back up with the tip of my finger so what exactly is the hype about it?
so I can take it you never got hit in the nuts by the dropping tailgate.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have kids that are about the same height as the tailgate when it’s down you’ll have undoubtedly dropped a tailgate at least once or twice and almost smacked them right on top of the head. Best reason I can get for having mine

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
If you have kids that are about the same height as the tailgate when it’s down you’ll have undoubtedly dropped a tailgate at least once or twice and almost smacked them right on top of the head. Best reason I can get for having mine

You definitely need to put in a front camera also, so you don't run him over.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I've had those little ball studs or whatever they're called, break off on my old motorhome compartments, as I have read about also happening here. I like the idea of the slow lowering so I'm going to try the "Beech Lane" model that Amazon sells. It looks like it mounts to studs that *might* be stronger. I'll re-post if it's cheesy crap. Only 21 bucks, how wrong can you go?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Cheap insurance for me with little rugrats running around

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had those little ball studs or whatever they're called, break off on my old motorhome compartments, as I have read about also happening here. I like the idea of the slow lowering so I'm going to try the "Beech Lane" model that Amazon sells. It looks like it mounts to studs that *might* be stronger. I'll re-post if it's cheesy crap. Only 21 bucks, how wrong can you go?

The DeeZee one has modified their design to more of a plate style piece, and is WAY more sturdy... Not sure what style this one you're referring to is, but I would give it some thought...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Crew Cab
Engine

Looking forward to your comments on the Beach Lane.

RodeoGeorge

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The DeeZee one has modified their design to more of a plate style piece, and is WAY more sturdy... Not sure what style this one you're referring to is, but I would give it some thought...

I have the new DeeZee with the updated lower mount, works great.

6E1EC9B6-1214-473A-A2CB-FE5F6ACF350B.jpeg

FCF73D31-AFEC-4BD7-B313-39DAA2850A98.jpeg

Last edited:

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My kid walked into the corner of my tailgate once and she learned her lesson the first time. If your kid gets whacked by the tailgate more than once..........

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a part number. I can only seem to find the first gen ones on amazon. Where did you buy yours?

I ordered one from Amazon and it was the old version, I tried to return it and they said keep it and we’ll refund your money. I then ordered one from Advance Auto Parts with a 25% off code and free shipping final price $27.88 with tax which is about the same as Amazon, it actually drop shipped from DeeZee and was the new version. I figured if it was wrong I could return it to my local Advance Auto parts store. You can look in the clear package and verify it has the new brackets w/o opening.

BTW....The part number is the same it never changed and don't go by the picture on the website

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dee-zee-tgateassist-dz43301/10971852-P

5A0A81F6-0517-4396-9958-55B973CA5F85.jpeg

Last edited: