Talk me out of a TRX!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 18 PowerWagon that is my daily driver that I've customized just a bit to the point that I absolutely love it. It only has 35K miles, and other than being generally dirty it's as good as new with nearly every option on it. No problems whatsoever. My wife and I used to go off road alot more but these days it's only one or twice a year, and it's mostly snow, trail, and fire road driving. No rockclimbing or mudding anymore. The floor shifted 4wd is a favorite of mine as I appreciate the positive feedback of chunking it into gear when it's time to have some fun. I love the truck- especially the reliability, toughness, and overall quality of the truck. I don't even care that I get MPG that would make a NASCAR driver blush. I switched jobs from when I bought the PW and now I drive 20 miles into work daily. Before I was a remote worker, so it rarely was driven but now I'm in it probably 6 days a week.

BUT... The dealer near my house has 3 Level 2 TRXs on their lot and even though they are stupidly priced ($122k) I can't stop thinking about them. I really miss the power of my Hellcat that I sold to get into the PowerWagon. The idea of a great truck with all the power of a hellcat under the hood- the sound, the acceleration, the speed- is intoxicating. Also, now that I'm on the highway everyday I'd love the passing power of a hellcat. PS, I never got a ticket when I was in my charger hellcat, but I came damn close several times. Hitting 150 again on an open road in Mexico :) with that supercharger whine would make me feel like a kid again.

There's no chance my wife will let me keep the PW and just get the TRX. In fact talking her into the TRX will be no small feat as it's absolutely a mid-life-crisis buy more than anything. I'm fat and don't fit into Corvettes. I can afford it, but it'll take sacrifices. And I have to believe that while it'll never be an appreciating asset it will depreciate more slowly than my PW is.

So, does the switch make sense, or am I just ******* over the TRX's ample cylinders? Is a 5th gen 1500 that much better than a 4th gen 2500 PW?
Not gunna do that. BUY IT. I would if I could.

Tonino

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If you want fast, something your wife won't say is too tall, and is fast...jeep track hawk. Plus it'll handle better. Plus still stupid expensive, though.

I wouldn't be financing a toy and giving away an asset at the same time.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At work, people would come over to my desk and ask me all the time, for yrs, if they should buy x or y car/truck? They just thought I knew this stuff, I guess.

My usual M-O was, rather than just say YES, I would ask about their current car/truck ...mileage, year, and maybe a few questions about recent repairs, etc (even though I already knew my recommendation) ...and invariably I would suggest buying it was probably a good way to go, it sounded like a nice vehicle (whatever they were looking at). I mean, I could tell people wanted a reason or excuse to push them over towards buying it. Why not help make their decision easier?

And besides, those times early on I suggested to repair the vehicle, or not buy the new vehicle, it didn't go over very well and they either went and bought it anyway, or hem'd and haw'd and the deal went away and I would hear the sad story. So I always gave them the thumbs up.. lol

Anyone else ever have that?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
At work, people would come over to my desk and ask me all the time, for yrs, if they should buy x or y car/truck? They just thought I knew this stuff, I guess.

My usual M-O was, rather than just say YES, I would ask about their current car/truck ...mileage, year, and maybe a few questions about recent repairs, etc (even though I already knew my recommendation) ...and invariably I would suggest buying it was probably a good way to go, it sounded like a nice vehicle (whatever they were looking at). I mean, I could tell people wanted a reason or excuse to push them over towards buying it. Why not help make their decision easier?

And besides, those times early on I suggested to repair the vehicle, or not buy the new vehicle, it didn't go over very well and they either went and bought it anyway, or hem'd and haw'd and the deal went away and I would hear the sad story. So I always gave them the thumbs up.. lol

Sure. People ask me similar questions all the time. But I take a different approach and actually give them my opinion based on the information they give me instead of just telling them what I think they want to hear. That's not really helpful IMHO. People will do what they want in the end. All I'm trying to do is get them to consider things that maybe hadn't occurred to them. Buying a new vehicle is fun and exciting. It's easy to get caught up in that and make a decision that they may end up soon regretting.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you made the recommendation, it will always be your fault, good, bad or otherwise. :cool:

You may as well be honest about it and cover the items that their fever may have filtered out.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually did ask the questions and talked out concerns. But in the end they wanted to buy it, or not. I never gave a resounding 'yes' as I said, but a nebulous affirmative, or sometimes a few other ideas to consider.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you made the recommendation, it will always be your fault, good, bad or otherwise. :cool:

You may as well be honest about it and cover the items that their fever may have filtered out.

Relationship between people and cars is hard to define. Or at least the wanting them part. People will generate some stupid reasons on why they have to have X vehicle. You agree? Point is, 90% of the time they ask you a question to only confirm a decision they have already made. So what if we tell them what they want to hear?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Relationship between people and cars is hard to define. Or at least the wanting them part. People will generate some stupid reasons on why they have to have X vehicle. You agree? Point is, 90% of the time they ask you a question to only confirm a decision they have already made. So what if we tell them what they want to hear?

LOL, whatever floats your boat.

I'm one of those annoying types who provides my honest opinion if someone goes to the trouble of asking for it.

I may even offer it up without provocation if I feel that someone is being dangerously stupid. :cool:

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, whatever floats your boat.

I'm one of those annoying types who provides my honest opinion if someone goes to the trouble of asking for it.

I may even offer it up without provocation if I feel that someone is being dangerously stupid. :cool:

And that’s why we all like you. Don’t stop. I’m universally hated. Ask my friends. Ha!

Had a guy in my office yesterday asking about financing a tundra for ether 3 years or 5 years. 77k truck mind you. After conversing for 30 minutes, we went full circle back to his original decision. Interest lost vs investing did not move the needle.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a woman coworker come to me for advice on her and her husband buying a pickup specifically for towing an RV trailer they were buying. They wanted a 1/2-ton Chevrolet with the smaller gas V-8 in it. This was about three years ago, so I don't remember the exact price they were going to be paying, but I remember it was ridiculously expensive. Ram was having huge incentives at the time, so I pulled up the local Ram dealers' inventory on my computer and showed her that they had a Big Horn Ram 2500 with a Cummins in it for actually a little less money. I said that if they were buying a truck specifically for towing a big new RV trailer, that the 3/4-ton diesel would work a lot better. They bought the 1/2-ton gas engine Chevy anyway.

People are going to do what people are going to do. Your advice usually doesn't make any difference.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a woman coworker come to me for advice on her and her husband buying a pickup specifically for towing an RV trailer they were buying. They wanted a 1/2-ton Chevrolet with the smaller gas V-8 in it. This was about three years ago, so I don't remember the exact price they were going to be paying, but I remember it was ridiculously expensive. Ram was having huge incentives at the time, so I pulled up the local Ram dealers' inventory on my computer and showed her that they had a Big Horn Ram 2500 with a Cummins in it for actually a little less money. I said that if they were buying a truck specifically for towing a big new RV trailer, that the 3/4-ton diesel would work a lot better. They bought the 1/2-ton gas engine Chevy anyway.

People are going to do what people are going to do. Your advice usually doesn't make any difference.

You say that your advice doesn't make a difference but I would argue that it does make a difference.

They may make the same bad choice but at least that was a decision they made with all the facts.

They may have poor decision making skills but at least they were not completely oblivious to the important facts.

I do agree that many people we meet in life make poor choices but if only a few of them see the light, it's worth my time, AFAIC.

YMMV

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You say that your advice doesn't make a difference but I would argue that it does make a difference.

They may make the same bad choice but at least that was a decision they made with all the facts.

They may have poor decision making skills but at least they were not completely oblivious to the important facts.

I do agree that many people we meet in life make poor choices but if only a few of them see the light, it's worth my time, AFAIC.

YMMV

Now you be nice to 3TV. Dude is my hero. His daily beater is a 392 wrangler. Sheesh.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IF I had the $$$, I'd buy a TRX in a heartbeat. Practicality be damned, I'd drive that beast every day, to work, to the gas station, to Lowe's, to the gas station, to the grocery store, to the gas station, to the local dragstrip, and to the gas station!

There was one about a year ago on a local used car lot, a '21 or '22 with around 18K miles for 'only' 89K. Honestly a great deal, relatively speaking, but me not rich so oh well.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IF I had the $$$, I'd buy a TRX in a heartbeat. Practicality be damned, I'd drive that beast every day, to work, to the gas station, to Lowe's, to the gas station, to the grocery store, to the gas station, to the local dragstrip, and to the gas station!

There was one about a year ago on a local used car lot, a '21 or '22 with around 18K miles for 'only' 89K. Honestly a great deal, relatively speaking, but me not rich so oh well.

I still buy the odd lottery ticket with toys like that in mind. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In the realm of stock trucks the TRX is one of the quicker trucks available,but by no stretch are they fast,with a bunch of money thrown at them,they can be made fast,but off the showroom floor they aren't all that quick.Any 6.4 Challenger or Charger will eat them for breakfast

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the realm of stock trucks the TRX is one of the quicker trucks available,but by no stretch are they fast,with a bunch of money thrown at them,they can be made fast,but off the showroom floor they aren't all that quick.Any 6.4 Challenger or Charger will eat them for breakfast

So how can they justify the insane price if they still require modifications to meet the 'fast' qualification?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So how can they justify the insane price if they still require modifications to meet the 'fast' qualification?

Got me,but then again how can they justify $275,000+ Canuck for a 170 Demon :rolleyes: :waytogo:

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While I had my Ram serviced at the dealer yesterday, I got up close and personal with a TRX on the showroom floor. The windows were rolled down. The smell of new rubber and leather was almost as good as gunpowder and brass. a smell I will probably not ever forget.
Even though I was unable to take her for a "burn," I have no doubt that baby would far exceed anyone's wildest dreams. If a TRX is truly your hearts desire, go for it!
What I really enjoyed most was when I opened the door to my own Ram, with the smell of Armor all beeswax leather treatment that I applied. Was able to climb in effortlessly and sit in my own seat. With my own butt imprint, turn on the heated seat as the rainy chilly day was well chilly. And simply drive away with the piece of mind, that my Laramie suits me just fine.
1712924445960.pngIMG_1779.jpeg

Last edited: