Tapping Headlight Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My headlights are on the way back to me from my retrofitter.
Amongst some other things, he instead the diode dynamics LED switchbacks.

I suppose the last thing I have to do is use t-taps to connect the drivers to my factory harness. That’s something I have never done before, and I’m a bit nervous. I can’t find any videos on how to do these on our vehicles.

I’ll assume it’s pretty easy where the tap has a straight through side where the factory wire sits in and a side with a stopper side where the switchback bare wire will bump into and you just crimp down wth pliers?

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I suppose the last thing I have to do is use t-taps to connect the drivers to my factory harness. That’s something I have never done before, and I’m a bit nervous. I can’t find any videos on how to do these on our vehicles.

I’ll assume it’s pretty easy where the tap has a straight through side where the factory wire sits in and a side with a stopper side where the switchback bare wire will bump into and you just crimp down wth pliers?

A suggestion, find another set of wires that plug into the existing harness then splice your driver into it. Not sure what your driver is running? If it the actual headlight or the turn/parking light? either way finding a pigtail to plug in to use as a splice would be the way to go.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A suggestion, find another set of wires that plug into the existing harness then splice your driver into it. Not sure what your driver is running? If it the actual headlight or the turn/parking light? either way finding a pigtail to plug in to use as a splice would be the way to go.
The driver runs the led boards that do DRL and turn signals.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Honestly, your retrofitter should have wired the drivers internally, just inside the access cover, so you wouldn’t be in this situation. Don’t use those t-taps, as they butcher the wire that the spade gets sent through, and can cause potential intermittent issues driving over bumps. Best to build a custom T- harness for them. What headlights were originally on your truck (quads or projectors), and what type are you switching to? Conversion harness? I could tell you what you need to build a t harness.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, your retrofitter should have wired the drivers internally, just inside the access cover, so you wouldn’t be in this situation. Don’t use those t-taps, as they butcher the wire that the spade gets sent through, and can cause potential intermittent issues driving over bumps. Best to build a custom T- harness for them. What headlights were originally on your truck (quads or projectors), and what type are you switching to? Conversion harness? I could tell you what you need to build a t harness.
I’m using my factory projectors. Now my head is getting messed up. I’ll get a buddy to help me who is better mechanically