Tapping speakers for Kicker Hideaway HS8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I have some Mopar branded Kicker speakers coming in for the doors/dash (77KICK28AB and 77KICK41), and I'm intending on adding my (already on hand) Kicker HS8 to my truck. So we're all on the same page, my truck is a 2016 Crew Cab. I understand that I will need to tap the speakers for signal since there's no RCA low-level outputs; what I'm finding on the forum is that the FRONT speakers are more conducive to proper signal than the rears as they get full range (whereas the rears are apparently limited?). Of course, that complicates matters trying to get TO the front speaker wiring!

So now I'm looking for info on where can I tap into both the RF/LF speaker wires with the least amount of hassle. The included Kicker harness will absolutely need to have the speaker input wiring extended if I tap the front speakers, but I'm not sure what will be the simplest means of tapping BOTH RF/LF speakers. Ideally I would run both the right and left channels together to the front of the truck, but "to where" is the question. It seems more likely that I'd have to run the Gray (Right) pair of wires (from the Hideaway Harness) up the passenger side of the truck while running the White (Left) pair up the driver side..but that would mean that I'd likely be tapping the speaker wiring at the kick panels. Keep in mind that the speaker leads on the Kicker harness are only about 10 feet long. Straight runs exposed, that may not be a big deal, but to tuck everything out of the way takes up some free length, and the plug will likely be at or near the center of the truck's back wall. I think I'd be better off extending each pair by the same length and trying to tap the speaker wiring up behind the head unit, but I don't know the wire colors I'd need to tap. I'm not even sure they'd be readily accessible to tap them near the 52-pin plug as that wire harness seems tightly wrapped up AND heading toward the left side of the dash (passenger side). OR...will the rear speakers suffice as the source? And if the rears will work (ie, signal is acceptable), where's the best point to find then tap into them?

Also, I have to assume the power lead will be long enough to reach from behind the back seat on the passenger side of the truck to the battery/power distro center on the driver side, but I'm not sure what kind of firewall access there is on the passenger side of the truck. The airbox/fan assembly seems to be smack in the way under the dash. Is there even an accessible location to go through the firewall on the passenger side of the truck? I'm not convinced that the power lead of the Kicker harness is long enough to run from the passenger rear wall (again, likely at/near the center of the back wall of the truck) along the driver side door sills and into the engine compartment without also needing to be extended. I guess that will take some measuring...which would be easier if it was still fall weather and not middle-of winter weather here in the Capital District.

At any rate, any help that could be offered would be handy. And thanks for reading through my droning on!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I remember correctly the power wire is long enough to get to the battery when mounting the Kicker Hideaway behind the back seat of a crew cab. I used to hole that blanked off where the clutch would go.
I did have to extend the speaker input wires, but I connected mine behind the radio. I used the rear speaker wires, and it sounds good to me. I did also run a wire for remote turn on and tapped the power point in the center console.

OP
OP
vhmike73

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did have to extend the speaker input wires, but I connected mine behind the radio. I used the rear speaker wires, and it sounds good to me. I did also run a wire for remote turn on and tapped the power point in the center console.

crash68, what were the wire colors you used? Do you have a list of the wire colors for both front and rear speaker wiring? What year Ram did you install this into? I've seen a wire diagram from a Challenger 52-pin audio plug (also '16, I believe), but haven't found one yet for a '16 Ram 1500. I am not sure if the colors on that diagram would be the same...manufacturers love to change wire colors from year to year just to torment DIYers!

One other question: did you cut away the back wall padding, or did you secure the HS8 to the back wall somehow? I haven't taken out the back seat yet to see what the fitment and mount will look like, and we're getting rain and snow for the next few days- just to make doing any work to the truck nearly impossible!

I need a garage to work in this weekend!

Thanks in advance!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@vhmike73 I would imagine the '13-'18 Ram's share the same radio wiring color codes and the pin outs are the same amongst the radios.
I have attached pics of the factory wiring diagrams for a '15 base audio(6 speaker) and the plug that goes into the radio (I think it's plug side not wire side).
The pin numbers/colors are:
Front Left + 47 Get/Vlt
Front Left - 51 Gry/Yel
Front Right + 46 DGry/Vlt
Front Right - 50 DGry/Yel
Rear Left + 48 Gry/LGrn
Rear Left - 52 Gry/DGrn
Rear Right + 45 DGrn/LGrn
Rear Right - 49 DGrn/Gry

I have my Hideaway sitting on the floor, it just fits between the seat and the back wall(I didn't pull the back seat out). I did remove the fold flat floor as I wanted more under floor storage space but there is room to put it back in.
IMG_20181127_075250019-01.jpegIMG_20181127_075221887-01.jpegIMG_20181127_075150220-01.jpeg

OP
OP
vhmike73

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks crash68! I appreciate the assist! Here's hoping I can get some dry/slightly warm weather to mess with the install this weekend.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@vhmike73 if I remember correctly I used Lockitt POSI-TAP for 20-22 gauge wiring to tap the speaker wires at the radio plug. They are easy to install in snug places where getting crimp tools in would be challenging.
Hope you have some good weather this weekend, it didn't take all that long to put in. Already had the fronts in(77KICK28ab) which make a huge improvement over stock.

OP
OP
vhmike73

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those Posi-taps are what I'm intending on using to tap the wiring; better than the foldover scotchlok things.

Glad to hear you were happy with your upgrades; here's hoping it sounds as good in mine! (I listen to mostly hard rock/metal: Octane/Hair Nation/Ozzy's Boneyard stuff)

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly the power wire is long enough to get to the battery when mounting the Kicker Hideaway behind the back seat of a crew cab. I used to hole that blanked off where the clutch would go.
I have a regular cab with the six speaker system. I replaced the four 6x9's with the Kicker/Mopar speakers. They are plug and play and sound much better than the stock speakers. My friend installed this for me, Kicker 10" powered sub. He tapped the front speaker wires behind the radio and ran remote turn on to the power point/cigarette lighter in dash. Good luck and enjoy your new sounds.
upload_2018-11-28_2-1-44.jpeg