Tell me why I shouldnt upgrade to a PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
C1B6D768-36BF-41E5-BD20-B2A5B2EDA146.jpeg Okay let’s get this **** back on the rails, Nado buy the Power Wagon, don’t worry about mileage no one here driving a hemi bought their Truck for the mileage trust me.
Don’t care about any other truck and weight’s and towing limit’s as they aren’t a Power Wagon and aren’t made to a specific purpose except to work, tow and my haul.
A Power Wagon does all that plus, 3 lockers front/rear axle’s and an honest to God manual shift transfer case. Front sway bar disco’s and a 12,000 lb working winch. I use mine daily and I use it for camping/overlanding and playing in the trails. It get me there and back.
It is still cheaper than buying another 2500 and modding it up to get those perks. And for all you non history aficionado’s, the Power Wagon just like the Jeep are what started this whole off road Craze as it was the first mass produced commercially available “Job Rated” Truck.
I’ve owned an 86 Ramcharger, a 99 1500 Dodge/Ram traded that up for a 99 Heavy Duty 2500 Dodge/Ram and I will only ever own Power Wagons from here out.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Different engine, and it will be more expensive than the Power Wagon, which is insane for a midsized truck to be higher priced than a heavy duty truck.
for now jeep is only putting it in the JL rubicon not the JT. they say $60K but I find that hard to believe because a well equipted JL rubicon is already at $60K. probably more like $70

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Last edited:

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
N

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34671109/2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-specs-revealed/

We ruined this thread!! Sorry OP

The 392 is a big engine and the one inch the Jeep grew on 2021 plus the extra weigh will change the center of gravity. ...but I still want one. I’m a sucker for HP. And to go 0-60 in 4-1/2 seconds in a Jeep is nuts!! That Pace is Raptor and TRX territory.

Nah - I dont consider it ruined. All are good pieces of information to read when considering a PW. I appreciate all the comments.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Why is premium not recommended? Silly me, that's all I use since I don't pay for my fuel.

Likely the way it is engineered for optimal performance and low end torque. My guess is if it had a true Hellcat motor, since they're blown, it would require premium. Hard to find gas around here that's not cut with ethanol.

I try to buy fuel listed on the Top Tier Gas Web site, albeit not clear to me if this is independent or these gasoline retailer's pay a fee to have their stuff certified.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not believe for one second that 91 or 93 octane would harm anything other than your wallet. Owners manual on my 2020 calls for 87 on page 453.
FUEL REQUIREMENTS — GAS ENGINE

6.4L ENGINE
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends

greater than 15% in this engine.

This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality

unleaded gasoline having a posted octane number range of 87 as specified by
the (R+M)/2 method.

While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle.

REFORMULATED GASOLINE
Many areas of the country require the use of

cleaner burning gasoline referred to as “Reformulated Gasoline”. Reformulated gasoline contains oxygenates and are specifically blended to reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality.

The use of reformulated gasoline is recommended. Properly blended reformulated gasoline will provide improved performance and durability of engine and fuel system components.

MATERIALS ADDED TO FUEL

Besides using unleaded gasoline with the proper octane rating, gasolines that contain detergents, corrosion and stability additives are recommended. Using gasolines that have these additives will help improve fuel economy, reduce emissions, and maintain vehicle performance.

Designated TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline contains a higher level of detergents to further aide in minimizing engine and fuel system

deposits. When available, the usage of TOP

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS 453 TIER Detergent gasoline is recommended. Visit

www.toptiergas.com for a list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers.

Indiscriminate use of fuel system cleaning agents should be avoided. Many of these materials intended for gum and varnish removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients. These can harm fuel system gasket and diaphragm materials.

GASOLINE/OXYGENATE BLENDS

Some fuel suppliers blend unleaded gasoline with oxygenates such as ethanol.

CAUTION!

DO NOT use E-85, gasoline containing methanol, or gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15). Use of these blends may result in starting and drivability problems, damage critical fuel system components, cause emissions to exceed the applicable standard, and/or cause the Malfunction Indicator Light to illuminate. Please observe pump labels as they should clearly communicate if a fuel contains greater than 15% ethanol (E-15).

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
"Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Mid-grade gasoline in Colorado is 87 Octane. The mean altitude here is 6,800 feet which has a lower atmospheric pressure than at sea level. Therefore, regular gasoline is 85 octane and it makes up 80% of the state's gasoline sales. 87 octane is 9.5% of sales, and 91 octane is 10.5% per a Denver Post article in October 16, 2006. Yes, old statistics.

I highly doubt that any sane Ram dealership throughout Colorado would void the warranty for running 85 Octane. 80% of their potential Colorado customers put exactly that into the tank of their vehicles which require gasoline. When I worked for the city in Metro Denver in 2016 both the Dodge Charger police cars and the Ram trucks filled up at the sole 85 Octane gasoline pumps in the city lot. No problems.

Mike Shaw which is a Colorado Ram truck dealership states the following...

"Octane Ratings At Altitude
They say the air is rare here in the Rocky Mountains, and that actually has an effect on how your engine performs. Because the air is less dense, less air flows to your car's engine. This translates to a slightly richer air-fuel ratio, and deters engine knock. For that reason, you'll find that regular gas carries an 85 octane rating here in Denver and throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana. In most states, regular unleaded is rated slightly higher at 87.

In most cases, you won't experience any problems running 85 octane in an ordinary car when a few thousand feet above sea level. However, if you do detect that tell-tale pinging noise, it may be wise to try filling your car with mid-grade gasoline which is rated at 87 octane here in Denver."

Reference:
https://www.mikeshawsubaru.com/service/information/gas-octane-at-altitude.htm

https://www.mikeshawjeep.com/

That being said, I run the mid-grade gasoline.

Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
not sure if anyone commented on my question. I was asking the question that if you tossed regular 2500 spring on a power wagon, shocks, would the power wagon have the hauling capabilities as a regular 2500? I'm sure they are a big heavier due to the extra goodies like winch stuff, lockers and disconnecting sway bar but it shouldn't be much different.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure if anyone commented on my question. I was asking the question that if you tossed regular 2500 spring on a power wagon, shocks, would the power wagon have the hauling capabilities as a regular 2500? I'm sure they are a big heavier due to the extra goodies like winch stuff, lockers and disconnecting sway bar but it shouldn't be much different.
legally no what is on your door sticker is what your payload and gvwr are. In the real world tho you would tho. your truck would sit lower and ride stiffer same as if you replaced a standard 2500 springs and shocks with a pw set. They would sit higher and ride softer and squat more when loaded..

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yea pretty much. I would probably change out the factory d-rated tires though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat