Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captshootnfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have searched a little for this issue and not found anything thing or I'm not hitting the correct key words, so any help would be great.

I have a 2013 Ram Big Horn 3.6L, back in April of this year (2018) it got hot while running, didn't throw a code. I was out of town and took it to the local dealer and they found out there was no coolant in the system, and the cooling fan was not turning on.

They did a pressure test and supposedly everything held, they also installed a new fan and it turns on.

It has been a few months and of course it is hot here in Indiana, however, I'm noticing the coolant temp is getting up to 234 before the fan turns on, the temp will drop to 215-220 and then start climbing again and repeats. I have discovered on other forums others have posted the same type of situation, with answers being, it shouldn't get over 220. In my opinion it seems to heat up really quick, and when I get out and walk in front of my truck I smell anti-freeze, but I don't see anything hitting the ground, and I don't see anything around the radiator.

My first thought is the thermostat is stuck and not opening up all the way. I've thought about changing it, however if I'm reading the Haynes manual correct that thermostat is on the front but at the bottom of the block, Correct?? Other readings I've done say it is on top of the block. So now I'm really confused, and I don't just want to be changing things if they don't need it.

With hunting season getting ready to start and a lot of driving coming on, I want to make sure it is reliable for the winter.

Thanks for any and all help.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I think you got water pump issue and it is not moving and circulating the coolant. If the thermostat was not opening, it would just continue to get hot and overheat. With the fans kicking in and the water pump not moving fluid, it is just passively getting cooler but not cool down enough.

OP
OP
captshootnfish

captshootnfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I wondered about that also, I was thinking of changing out both the pump and thermostat and seeing if that would fix it, since both items are right there.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wondered about that also, I was thinking of changing out both the pump and thermostat and seeing if that would fix it, since both items are right there.
All I know about this is what I've read, never had to change my tstat but someone said something about a small hole in the flange of the tstat, and that hole needs to be in 12 o'clock position. Like I said, just read about it, can't swear to it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
captshootnfish

captshootnfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Well, on Sunday I decided that I was going to spend time on finding out what the issue is / was. I went to the only store in Indianapolis that showed they had a water pump, and got that, I also picked up a new serpentine belt, I was going to change the tstat, but no one in Indy has one, nor can they order it for some reason, so I stopped there. I changed the water pump and the belt and low and behold, now it doesn't get any warmer than 222 degrees.

So out of those 2 things, I don't know what fixed it but I feel better about it, before I changed it and after I made the original post, it went as warm as 238, so I needed to do something. As of today I think I have it fixed.

gtskeeterblancotx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a similar problem with my 2005 4.7L over heating in stop and go traffic in South Texas. It won't over heat driving the speed limit on most day's but some times it does just on a hot day!! Any suggestions for this size Ram motor with only 142K miles?? Thanks, Gary

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat