"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll take a look and PM you sitkneelbend. I haven't updated it in a while and never with any of the rooted versions so that may be a good fix. Just found out I've got a really bad ground (just hooked up an amazon alexa to my aux input and have crazy noise) so thinking that is to blame for my bad FM reception. May have to pull the radio out and see if I can figure out the ground issue. funny after all this time never had any ground noise but never used the aux input untll now and didn't really think about the fm reception much.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll take a look and PM you sitkneelbend. I haven't updated it in a while and never with any of the rooted versions so that may be a good fix. Just found out I've got a really bad ground (just hooked up an amazon alexa to my aux input and have crazy noise) so thinking that is to blame for my bad FM reception. May have to pull the radio out and see if I can figure out the ground issue. funny after all this time never had any ground noise but never used the aux input untll now and didn't really think about the fm reception much.
Sounds good...FYI LED/HID headlights/fog lights can introduce a great deal of FM interference too (if on).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
View attachment 147612

This is the plug faces. Hate I might have to scrap this whole radio because I cant get HVAC to work

Did you take a look at post #2 of this thread? @mdifilippo mentions modifying that harness to make it fit (if it's needed for your setup.

What radio originally came with your truck? What radio was in prior to this one?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
With the help of the aforementioned developer, I have been able to mod the radio to remove the top Menu Bar and replace it with a custom Menu Bar. He also made a newer rooted firmware today dated Nov 15, 2018.
2bf80cca4c31fd07872e2420bc7fe360.jpg

Dani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V23
With the help of the aforementioned developer, I have been able to mod the radio to remove the top Menu Bar and replace it with a custom Menu Bar. He also made a newer rooted firmware today dated Nov 15, 2018.
2bf80cca4c31fd07872e2420bc7fe360.jpg

Can you point me to this developer so I can do the same for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thanks much

Also anyone have an issue where the radio won’t play music/no sound sometimes if you turn on car before the unit turns on? and then you have to durn off car, open door, close door, wait unit unit turns on, wait unit radio turns on, then start the car. This happens on every 8-10th cold start.

09E82C93-A4D2-4263-8A61-023C26974D7E.jpeg

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you point me to this developer so I can do the same for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thanks much

Also anyone have an issue where the radio won’t play music/no sound sometimes if you turn on car before the unit turns on? and then you have to durn off car, open door, close door, wait unit unit turns on, wait unit radio turns on, then start the car. This happens on every 8-10th cold start.

View attachment 147800
I'm not sure if he'd like that as he doesn't even use this radio any more. If you just want the firmware I can PM you a link. If you're interested in the thread where a lot of the modifications are discussed. It's here...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3512709&share_tid=3512709&share_fid=3793&share_type=t

Tesla Style Headunits

And here's the Russian forum discussing the non-fast boot version of this radio...

https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=877711

Last edited:

Marc Naltch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, has anyone output video to a secondary monitor ( rear headrest for kids) and if I install a front camera, does it turn on by itself at low speed going forward? Thank you so much for your help I can’t seem to find video output on any of the harness’.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello, has anyone output video to a secondary monitor ( rear headrest for kids) and if I install a front camera, does it turn on by itself at low speed going forward? Thank you so much for your help I can’t seem to find video output on any of the harness’.
The front camera doesn't display/turn on automatically at low speed. As for video out, I think it's there but I don't remember for sure.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just saw that Phoenix Android released a CANBUS update for our RAM 1500 modules for this radio. It corrects my original issue with the Auto Headlights no longer functioning correctly (Always On).

I will post up results after I confirm compatibility and have time to flash it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Flashed Phoenix Android's CANBUS update to a radio originally purchased from ESPony Cargo. All is well, it appears to have fixed the auto headlight issue as advertised.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
One more thing, if you get a hold of and use the latest November firmware, it appears the CANBUS update is necessary to maintain good audio quality/levels. Before the CANBUS update, I had to turn the radio up to MAX volume (40) to get it at my normal listening level for the past few days.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Great info in here thanks to SitKneelBend. Phoenix just announced on their facebook an upgrade for the 4.4 Units to get the 7.1 fastboot, it's a new core board. Just waiting on the final details before I order one up. They offer the option to either send in your unit and have them do the swap or a DIY solution, I'll of course be opting for the DIY. Here are the links, I'm just waiting for an answer on the difference between them as I already have the 2 g ram 64 g rom version.

https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.co...jkwGkqIL2DMvNAS3eNWrPyHlGgUHtzAL3S0hiIfKDg1hg

https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.co...F3cu5t9FzLfYj9WxMhfJJMIb71J06BKHJtPREx3iU5sso

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Great info in here thanks to SitKneelBend. Phoenix just announced on their facebook an upgrade for the 4.4 Units to get the 7.1 fastboot, it's a new core board. Just waiting on the final details before I order one up. They offer the option to either send in your unit and have them do the swap or a DIY solution, I'll of course be opting for the DIY. Here are the links, I'm just waiting for an answer on the difference between them as I already have the 2 g ram 64 g rom version.

https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.co...jkwGkqIL2DMvNAS3eNWrPyHlGgUHtzAL3S0hiIfKDg1hg

https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.co...F3cu5t9FzLfYj9WxMhfJJMIb71J06BKHJtPREx3iU5sso
That's awesome! Is there a firmware change or will this be a hybrid of sorts? I ask because there is no way to root the current fast boots but if they keep the current firmware and this changes the MCU side I might be able to keep root too...

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's awesome! Is there a firmware change or will this be a hybrid of sorts? I ask because there is no way to root the current fast boots but if they keep the current firmware and this changes the MCU side I might be able to keep root too...

From the sounds of it, it's a swap of the main computer board. Which makes sense other than changing the bezel slightly there is nothing else (to the best of my knowledge at least) different between the units. Screen, outputs, all the same. The computer board is where it's all at.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well got answers already! So the two different listings are for whether you are sending your unit to them OR doing it yourself. The one listed as ""2 G RAM 32 G ROM CORE BOARD FOR SELECTED ANDROID 7.1 FAST BOOT VERTICAL SCREEN HEAD UNITS" is for the DIY. Send back your board (they claim no deadline, so I plan to hang onto mine until I'm 100% certain) and you get $70 back, meaning that at the current price of 99.99 the upgrade will cost roughly $30. NOT BAD! They just confirmed as well that you'll need to solder on the wifi, gps, and bluetooth connectors to the new board.

Now, yes it's less memory as my current configuration is 64G vs the 32G but I don't store anything except apps on the unit anyways. I'll be placing the order for the new board tonight and document the swap for everyone here.

If you have purchased from them before check to see if you have any rewards! I was able to save $5, so $94.99 and free shipping. Now I have had ZERO issues with Phoenix, I did have issues however with another seller previous to them but still I will urge you to use paypal as you can always fall back to paypal if there are any issues with them not shipping or anything like that.