The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What does nhtsa have to do with it. Aren't they just for safety issues?

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow! ok. If you look through my posts you'll see that I am trying to help. I posted a video ofmy truck starting. I didn't mean it the way you took it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well,since we don't know what is causing this noise then we don't know if it will cause engine failure, thus shut down ...........loss of control.............thus safety concern.At this point the focus is the 6.4 engine noise if you don't have this issue and have nothing to offer to try and help out then don't concern yourself with this posting

Just hang on. The point of this thread is for the weird 6.4 noises but I have yet to hear of a complete failure and loss of power causing a safety concern. There was a TSB issued for the wrist pins. Those engines were replaced. Maybe the 6.4L in the HD is just a naturally noisy engine? Ever driven a 5.4L? My F250 had the old 5.4L triton and it sounded WAY worse than this and I retired it still running with a lot of kilometers on it. I think most of us just want to know why it's noisy, then we'd be content.

Class action suits do nothing but line the pockets of lawyers.

No need to get up in arms when another member asks a simple question. Cc rider just asked a question. I'm not trying to be the white knight, but this is a valuable thread with a lot of good opinions.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agreed.

We have all been trading information relevant to loud 6.4L engines on this thread since it was created.

Specifically it was started as I was experiencing a VERY loud clattering noise (see post #1) and in the process found a service bulletin that specifically described what I was hearing. The end result was that the bulletin applied to a build date range and a VIN range.

Beyond that, as many threads do, owners of vehicles that were outside the build date range and VIN range noted that their engines seems "noisy" as well.

Regardless of the outcome, this thread was created so we could share the information and help others that may be experiencing similar issues.

It was not created to start a rant about suing Ram, debating NHTSA participation or flaming one another regarding their contributions here.

So calm down, contribute positively and help each other. That's why we are here.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How the hell do you hold Chrysler accountable if in fact this engine is working as designed within the parameters? I don't get it. If it's working as it's supposed to- then there's nothing wrong. If it is just a noisy mill (which, if you have read any of the comments in here by people who are far more knowledgable than us, seems to be the case) then that is all that matters. I didn't buy an HD to sound like a Honda. If there's nothing wrong with it and it's just noisy- nothing a catback system won't fix :)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I deleted your posts.

Obviously, I am against all the members here and the forum in general by doing so.

But in answer to your latest rant, I would say that FCA is stepping up and taking ownership of the issue. My new engine is proof of them doing so.

Now...do you have a specific issue with your 6.4L you wish to share with us?

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haven't had an engine replacement Einstein. Read back through the thread again. If you're going to come out of the corner swinging, be prepared for a few people to take exception to that.

My reply is stating that Chrysler should not be held accountable if the engine is doing what is supposed to do. If it isn't- they should. It's pretty simple reasoning. I don't necessarily enjoy the sound, but that doesn't mean it is out of place.

I am not participating in this back and forth any longer, it is devaluing this thread. Why is there no block option on ramforum????

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 154

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your comment is just what ive been hearing from Chrysler.Blah blah, as designed or should I say baa baa said the sheep to the man.If you even took the time to see that anyone that has made a post about the 6.4 noise, its not acceptable by any means.It sounds like you might be employed by Chrysler and intend to dismiss this issue .Where is the loyalty from chrysler to the others who have this unresolved problem.Its not that these public forums are not monitored or even started by employees of Chrysler just to see whats being said about the product.

What's considered not acceptable to you, may be acceptable to others. You can not please 100% of people 100% of the time.

In the case of the 6.4, it is a noisy engine when compared to a 5.7 in a 1500. Some people take that as something must be wrong and unacceptable. While others accept the fact that some engines make different noises than others. Go listen a direct injected gas engine, they are noisy as a diesel. That's just the way they are.

Each customer complaint of a noise is addressed and only once so far has they're actually been an issue at my work. Ever other one has been normal, it gets explained to the customer and if they would like they can listen to any of the other 6.4s on the lot. So far everyone is ok once they understand that it's just the way the engine sounds.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nothing I have said is a rant at least not until you decided that others opinions don't matter.Since fca as you so corrected me, gave you a new engine then I quess the trade off was to help them dismiss the rest of us.The whole intent of my first post in this matter was to open a dialog hopefully with others who might be interested in being more aggressive with Chrysler and get some results that you have gotten.IT IS Chryslers problem and they need to pony up to the problem.As I have posted before about the other forum RamForumz.com there are comments that maybe you should read and not take an attitude with me just because I don't back down.these and those posts spell it out plain as day.

Everyone's rational opinion matters here. What doesn't fly here is ranting and mindlessly reacting to a simple question.

I was not bought off by FCA when they replaced my engine. I expected them to take care of the issue and they did so per the published bulletin. That their recommended fix for the defect, replacing the engine, was not expected nor insisted upon. That was their decision.

Not everyone who has a noise emanating from their engine has the same problem found in mine. Insisting that the same action be taken by FCA in response to those complaints, regardless of the cause of the noise, is ludicrous.

My attitude is not an issue here but yours is becoming one. I am not asking you to back down. I am asking that you discuss the issue intelligently and treat the members here respectfully.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If this noise is acceptable to others then why would they even waste to time to complain about it.I don't care about any other vehicles and whatever noises they are making,i only addressed the hemi 6.4.You have been well trained to dismiss problems rather than remedy them.If you have a problem with what ive said or will say then don't engage my posts and I wont direct anything towards you.This is not a personal issue with any members of this forum.

Obviously if the noise the 6.4 makes is acceptable to a certain person they're not going to complain. That's just common sense.

I have been well trained to just dismiss problems rather than remedy them??? Haha, thanks for that, I needed the laugh. You're right, it's all a conspiracy and were told to just ignore problems, don't fix it, just ignore it.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Knight ram, if you have a problem with your engine , take the steps ! That means start a paper trail. I know it sucks but you have to do it. It's not like they are not fixing it! Guys have had their engines replaced. If it's a wrist pin issue or whatever. You can't just come on here threatening a law suit. How many times have you even had the problem looked at?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
when and how did i threaten lawsuit, you guys take everything out of context to suit your desire to prove that you are right no matter what.once you pull your head out of your ass then blow it out your ass.you got what you wanted im done with you clowns
Thank you come again

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, gents. I had hoped with a PM or two I could talk some sense into knightram1. It didn't work.

I promise I'll improve my people skills a bit more. :D

Now, back to the program.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't drink the bong water guys!

Now that we're back on topic, I will be replacing a 6.4 in a power wagon for the wrist pin knock sometime in the next couple weeks. If you guys would like I can try to do a video of the noise before and after the operation. It may help to know what a bad one sounds like.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Yup.....would definitely like to hear it. I don't think I have the issue, but it'd sure be nice to compare.