The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 Power Wagon Build date 1/15

Same exact noise as the videos... going in next tuesday... Also have a problem with I think my torque converter.

Low RPM under light load rpm fluctuates and engine surges/bogs etc.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, these aren't exactly associated with clattering but I have received 3 update notices from FCA recently:

1. Occupant restraint system
2. Steering wheel harness
3. Track rod bracket

I guess it'll all get done when I get the oil changed for the first time.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, these aren't exactly associated with clattering but I have received 3 update notices from FCA recently:

1. Occupant restraint system
2. Steering wheel harness
3. Track rod bracket

I guess it'll all get done when I get the oil changed for the first time.

The first one is just a flash for the ORC module. Second involves removing the air bag to add 2 protective covers and zip tie a harness. The third, there is no fix available yet.

grizzjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram approved the new engine. Now the waiting game. FYI same wrist pin issue, lots of scoring of cylinder walls... My build date was January 1 2015. Power Wagon.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Ram approved the new engine. Now the waiting game. FYI same wrist pin issue, lots of scoring of cylinder walls... My build date was January 1 2015. Power Wagon.

So this is expanding past the original list dates?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Kind of border line, don't ya think!

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

That's good news. Sounds like the repair extends beyond the service bulletin dates. The dealer had to clear this with FCA so if they do it for one, and the diagnostics are done in the proper fashion, they'll have to do it for others outside the build date range.

I just keep thinking some of the affected engines were installed beyond 10/2014.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
The end of the listed dates was sometime in October 2014 and the bulletin only stated 2014 trucks. Now we see at least one '15, but I suppose it could be unrelated.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Ya, I did not realize that it ended in Oct of 2014.....though it was closer to the end of 2014.

Hope it stays to an isolated number regardless.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Kind of border line, don't ya think!

Not really if they find the same problem in newer trucks. They had to make a decision on dates and VIN ranges but if it was wrong, it was wrong.

No reason for them to ignore other trucks outside the ranges if it proves that the same problem exists in those trucks.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
Not really if they find the same problem in newer trucks. They had to make a decision on dates and VIN ranges but if it was wrong, it was wrong.

No reason for them to ignore other trucks outside the ranges if it proves that the same problem exists in those trucks.

That was my point....originally thinking that the bulletin was for trucks built up to the end of 2014, for a truck with a build date of early Jan 2015, I am not surprised there are trucks built after the actual posted bulletin date of Oct 2014, that have this problem.
That is what I meant by border line.....I think it is hard to through an exact date out there where the acknowledged problem/defect just stops.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I have been keeping an ear out for this noise, nothing so far. My truck now has around 12,000km on it.

It was built Aug/14 so naturally I'm a little worried. The issue does however seem to be fairly random.

Thanks to this thread, at least I'll know what it is if the "clatter" ever happens!

grizzjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can say mine did it from day one, got worse over time but I think by a couple thousand miles you will be in the clear.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
^ Thanks for that! Hope you're right, keeping my fingers crossed :)

Hurst89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bringing back an old thread, but I think it applies to my truck. Build date is Aug 15, 2014 (at 4pm and that's a Friday... should I be worried!? ), so right in the middle of the tsb. On the coast video, the first 30-30-45 seconds is me fumbling around, but you can hear the knock start around 1:00. The second is taken right after the first ended. 12 degrees this morning and the trick hadn't been started in 4 days.

https://youtu.be/dP2sbxZ3rE0

https://youtu.be/XPu3kGhzaHQ

Does mine sound like it needs to go to the dealer for the wrist pin tsb? Anyone know a good service department in central ky (I'm between frankfort and lexington)?

Hurst

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
definitely sounds like you have it

Bringing back an old thread, but I think it applies to my truck. Build date is Aug 15, 2014 (at 4pm and that's a Friday... should I be worried!? ), so right in the middle of the tsb. On the coast video, the first 30-30-45 seconds is me fumbling around, but you can hear the knock start around 1:00. The second is taken right after the first ended. 12 degrees this morning and the trick hadn't been started in 4 days.

https://youtu.be/dP2sbxZ3rE0

https://youtu.be/XPu3kGhzaHQ

Does mine sound like it needs to go to the dealer for the wrist pin tsb? Anyone know a good service department in central ky (I'm between frankfort and lexington)?

Hurst

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd say it was definitely worth getting it into the dealer with the service bulletin in hand.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the bulletin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith