The connector that plugs into the factory subwoofer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE:

My sub box came. I plugged it in, just for fun. No, it doesn't work, so the other end of the wires must not be hooked to anything. Now if it would ever warm up outside, I could get my amp installed.

That’s good to know. I wonder if your stock system has an external amp, or if it does, it might not be capable of running that factory sub is probably what that wire isn’t connected to anything. If anything since it’s not hooked up, you could always cut that plug off and use it in between your new amp and the new sub so you wouldn’t have to make one or buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s good to know. I wonder if your stock system has an external amp, or if it does, it might not be capable of running that factory sub is probably what that wire isn’t connected to anything. If anything since it’s not hooked up, you could always cut that plug off and use it in between your new amp and the new sub so you wouldn’t have to make one or buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Before I discovered that that plug was there, I had already ordered the plug. I tried to call and cancel, but it was too late, they shipped it already. It's here now and it would cost more than it's worth to send back, so I'll just use it.

Kirk1671

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 express. My question is does my truck come wired with the connector to install the factory sub that comes in other options. If so an someone post pictures of where I would find it. Thanks

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 express. My question is does my truck come wired with the connector to install the factory sub that comes in other options. If so an someone post pictures of where I would find it. Thanks

I think I read somewhere before that if you don’t have the Uconnect radio with the external audio amplifier over on the right side of the dash above the glovebox then you won’t have that factory subwoofer cable but as far as where it’s located if you had one, under the driver side rear passenger seat where the hole is for the cubby hole, right there on the bottom of the picture is where it comes out. d42da8117712604e0d2b98186cc8c45a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

There is a slit in the carpet under the back seat (inside the "pod" where the speaker goes) and if you dig around, you'll find the subwoofer connector. However, it's not powered or anything. So, I chopped it off and used that connector on the end of my speaker wires from an aftermarket amp. I'm using the Kicker 400.1. It's 1 ohm stable and does not require an LOC or a remote turn on.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a slit in the carpet under the back seat (inside the "pod" where the speaker goes) and if you dig around, you'll find the subwoofer connector. However, it's not powered or anything. So, I chopped it off and used that connector on the end of my speaker wires from an aftermarket amp. I'm using the Kicker 400.1. It's 1 ohm stable and does not require an LOC or a remote turn on.

Do you have the Uconnect 8.4 radio with the external powered amp? I’m just curious if that subwoofer cable is even there unless you have that because I don’t think you can power the sub from the regular radio.

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the Uconnect 8.4 radio with the external powered amp? I’m just curious if that subwoofer cable is even there unless you have that because I don’t think you can power the sub from the regular radio.

Yes, I have the "non Alpine" 8.4 Uconnect. That connector will be there no matter which radio you have. When they build the trucks, they install the same wiring harness in all of them. It's there... it's just not powered or anything. Same goes for trucks without rear under seat lighting or without power sliding rear windows.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I have the "non Alpine" 8.4 Uconnect. That connector will be there no matter which radio you have. When they build the trucks, they install the same wiring harness in all of them. It's there... it's just not powered or anything. Same goes for trucks without rear under seat lighting or without power sliding rear windows.

Agreed....I have a Big Horn but no Alpine system and found the sub connector under the fake carpet that covers the storage area under the passenger rear seat.

JimmyH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know this is an older thread, but does anybody know if the other end of this harness comes out under the dash at the head unit? Might be nice option to tap into the rear channel wires there. Then connect the end under the rear seat to amp or amplified sub.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an older thread, but does anybody know if the other end of this harness comes out under the dash at the head unit? Might be nice option to tap into the rear channel wires there. Then connect the end under the rear seat to amp or amplified sub.
I don’t know if that wire has its own harness or if it’s part of a bigger harness that would most likely be connected to the factory amp rather than the head unit but if you have the factory rear sub and want to hook up an amp and sub(s) under the rear seat, why would you want to use the rear speaker channel instead of the wire that comes up out of the carpet under your rear seat that goes to your factory sub? Last I heard, the rear channel door speakers only carry mids and the highs which won’t give you the lows your amp needs for signal if you’re wanting good bass.

Maybe these newer trucks are different but I’m pretty sure that the only channels that carry the lows are the bottom front door speakers and the factory sub under the seat. At least in my old third-Gen Ram 1500, I got much better performance out of the MTX Thunderform sub enclosure with built in amp once I moved the input wires from the rear door speakers to the front door subs because those had the lows whereas the rear door speakers only carried the highs and mids.

JimmyH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don’t know if that wire has its own harness or if it’s part of a bigger harness that would most likely be connected to the factory amp rather than the head unit but if you have the factory rear sub and want to hook up an amp and sub(s) under the rear seat, why would you want to use the rear speaker channel instead of the wire that comes up out of the carpet under your rear seat that goes to your factory sub? Last I heard, the rear channel door speakers only carry mids and the highs which won’t give you the lows your amp needs for signal if you’re wanting good bass.

Maybe these newer trucks are different but I’m pretty sure that the only channels that carry the lows are the bottom front door speakers and the factory sub under the seat. At least in my old third-Gen Ram 1500, I got much better performance out of the MTX Thunderform sub enclosure with built in amp once I moved the input wires from the rear door speakers to the front door subs because those had the lows whereas the rear door speakers only carried the highs and mids.

Sorry, it might make more sense if I lay out the scenario better. I have a 2017 Express CC 4x4, Uconnect 5, base 6 channel, no amp, no factory sub.

To my knowledge, in this truck, all four channels are full range. Sound from door speakers verifies presence of low frequencies. The front channels are shared by the front doors (4 ohm 6x9s) and the dash speakers (8 ohm 3.5s with bass blocking capacitors). The rear channels only have the rear doors (4 ohm 6x9s). Due to the shared front channels, the front doors produce slightly less sound than the rear doors, as the rear speakers receive more power per speaker.

Keeping the Uconnect 5 head unit, I would need to tap into either the front or rear, left and right channels. The factory sub harness is underneath the rear seat. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm if the other end of this factory sub harness is under the dash at the head unit, so I could use those wires for speaker signal and remote on/off between head unit and amp. Power to amp would be ran separately.

You do make a good point, that on the other end, the wires may be part of a larger harness that may be less than accessible. So again, the question is: can anyone confirm if it is available under the dash or not?

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, it might make more sense if I lay out the scenario better. I have a 2017 Express CC 4x4, Uconnect 5, base 6 channel, no amp, no factory sub.

To my knowledge, in this truck, all four channels are full range. Sound from door speakers verifies presence of low frequencies. The front channels are shared by the front doors (4 ohm 6x9s) and the dash speakers (8 ohm 3.5s with bass blocking capacitors). The rear channels only have the rear doors (4 ohm 6x9s). Due to the shared front channels, the front doors produce slightly less sound than the rear doors, as the rear speakers receive more power per speaker.

Keeping the Uconnect 5 head unit, I would need to tap into either the front or rear, left and right channels. The factory sub harness is underneath the rear seat. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm if the other end of this factory sub harness is under the dash at the head unit, so I could use those wires for speaker signal and remote on/off between head unit and amp. Power to amp would be ran separately.

You do make a good point, that on the other end, the wires may be part of a larger harness that may be less than accessible. So again, the question is: can anyone confirm if it is available under the dash or not?
On a vehicle with a NON Alpine system, the other end of the plug is not connected to anything. In an Alpine equipped vehicle it connects to a factory amp. Therefore, it's just much easier to get your signal from the rear door speaker wires. I tapped in inside the B pillar.

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

In a vehicle with a non Alpine system... ALL speakers are full range.

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, this makes a tremendous difference vs. a $20 LOC. I wish I would have gotten it right of the bat. When I switched over to this, it sounded like I added another sub, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In a vehicle with a non Alpine system... ALL speakers are full range.
Thanks. Sounds like it might be easier to tap at the B pillar. I was just not wanting to mess with door trim and such. Probably cleaner to leave everything under the dash alone anyways. Did tapping for signal put more load on the rear channel and pull down the rear speaker volume?
On a vehicle with a NON Alpine system, the other end of the plug is not connected to anything. In an Alpine equipped vehicle it connects to a factory amp. Therefore, it's just much easier to get your signal from the rear door speaker wires. I tapped in inside the B pillar.

Thanks. Sounds like it might be easier to tap at the B pillar. I was just not wanting to mess with door trim and such. Probably cleaner to leave everything under the dash alone anyways. Did tapping for signal put more load on the rear channel and pull down the rear speaker volume or sound quality?

OP
OP
Matts175

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't affect the rear speaker volume or quality at all. Also, it's very easy to pull off the B pillar trim. You don't even need tools. It pops off in under a minute.

JimmyH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It doesn't affect the rear speaker volume or quality at all. Also, it's very easy to pull off the B pillar trim. You don't even need tools. It pops off in under a minute.

Awesome! Thanks for your feedback.

Eastman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Sounds like it might be easier to tap at the B pillar. I was just not wanting to mess with door trim and such. Probably cleaner to leave everything under the dash alone anyways. Did tapping for signal put more load on the rear channel and pull down the rear speaker volume?

Thanks. Sounds like it might be easier to tap at the B pillar. I was just not wanting to mess with door trim and such. Probably cleaner to leave everything under the dash alone anyways. Did tapping for signal put more load on the rear channel and pull down the rear speaker volume or sound quality?
Hi. What wires did you tap to? I am doing the same thing with my truck. Do you have a diagram or a picture? Also what amp did you buy? Any advice?