The Stereo Destroying Uconnect Software Update--What Years, Models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
OK, I know the software update of September 4, 2018 ruined 2018 models with the stock 6 speaker systems and the 8.4 touchscreen because I have a 2018 Big Horn with the 8.4 screen and my stereo is ruined.

But...

What other years and models have been reported to be affected?

As far as I know it has not affected any models with the Alpine 9 speaker system, with subwoofer.

Has it affected any 2019 models?

Has it affected any 2018 models with the 5" screen?

If I get a 2019 Big Horn with the 6 speaker system and 8.4" screen will it come with a screwed up stereo?

The gigantic thread discussing it is fine, but I wanted to create a new thread that addressed the possible years, radios, and models that this software update has blown up.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OK, I know the software update of September 4, 2018 ruined 2018 models with the stock 6 speaker systems and the 8.4 touchscreen because I have a 2018 Big Horn with the 8.4 screen and my stereo is ruined.

But...

As far as I know it has not affected any models with the Alpine 9 speaker system, with subwoofer.

If I get a 2019 Big Horn with the 6 speaker system and 8.4" screen will it come with a screwed up stereo?

The gigantic thread discussing it is fine, but I wanted to create a new thread that addressed the possible years, radios, and models that this software update has blown up.

Not true. I have a 2018 with the Alpine speaker /sub and it sounds like crap after the September update.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Not true. I have a 2018 with the Alpine speaker /sub and it sounds like crap after the September update.

Oh, crap. I wonder if the application version is the same for Alpine and non-Alpine systems?

Could you possibly list what software version AND application version your radio is using?

You can check the current software by the following steps -Push and hold front defrost, driver temperature up and down and dealer mode will appear -radio part information -software application version.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

But...

Alpine has nothing to do with the receiver. Alpine is just the speakers. The head unit in every ‘18 is the same Panasonic no matter the trim level or speaker setup. So yes, all ‘18 8.4’s were affected.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Alpine has nothing to do with the receiver. Alpine is just the speakers. The head unit in every ‘18 is the same Panasonic no matter the trim level or speaker setup. So yes, all ‘18 8.4’s were affected.

And is this same Panasonic head unit used in 2019 models? If so, which ones?

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Oh, crap. I wonder if the application version is the same for Alpine and non-Alpine systems?

Could you possibly list what software version AND application version your radio is using?

You can check the current software by the following steps -Push and hold front defrost, driver temperature up and down and dealer mode will appear -radio part information -software application version.

View media item 26777
Here you go.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

Thanks so much.

The reason I'm interested in which stereos are affected is because the sales rep that I leased from last spring sent me a follow up email and asked if I wanted to get into a 2019. I answered yes, if I could get a comparably equipped truck with no money out of pocket and the same monthly payment and mileage terms. He's set about to look for a vehicle for me. However, if 2019's are affected as well as 2018's there is no escape from this destructive software update. I guess I'd check the application and software version on some 2019's before I proceed.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue with checking s/w version *now* is that it might force update anyway.

A lot of the people with 18's reported pressing "not now" on the update (since they knew it would hose the audio) and eventually the update was forced down to them anyway.

And that in itself wouldn't have been horrible, had UConnect had half a brain and allowed for downgrading to the previous version. But since they dont (or maybe they dont know how to ... ), you end up with an update against your will that breaks stuff with no way of undoing it.

I am a s/w developer and if I did something like what happened with the UConnect update, I would be fired.