Third Brake Light on Shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My fire department just got a new 2019 1500 classic and had a shell installed on it. I really did not think about it when they installed, but they tapped into the driver's side brake light for the light on the shell. Now, as you can imagine, the brake light on the shell flashes with the left turn signal. Is there a good place to tap into the CHMSL wire somewhere to run to the shell? Does anybody know where the wire runs up to the top of the cab? And what color is that wire? Is there a good/easy place to tap into? I know I could tap into right at the light itself, but I don't really want to mess with the headliner to get a wire down from there. Any suggestions?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@svfd
Sounds like you tapped into the wrong wire. Not too familiar with the 19 but the quick and easy fix is to tap into the trailer harness.
Their should be a brake light feed to the taillight where you are tapped into now so I would test with a voltmeter

Gregdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2015, there’s a white wire, tied to a loom, on the drivers side rear, that’s for a topper 3rd brake light. I used for my lighted team emblem. Doesn’t flash with signal, only comes on with headlights and brake.

OP
OP
svfd

svfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
On my 2015, there’s a white wire, tied to a loom, on the drivers side rear, that’s for a topper 3rd brake light. I used for my lighted team emblem. Doesn’t flash with signal, only comes on with headlights and brake.

I'll check that out. When I had a Ford SuperDuty, there was also a wire like that under the bed. I wasn't sure if Ram put something like this under there too....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
On my 2015, there’s a white wire, tied to a loom, on the drivers side rear, that’s for a topper 3rd brake light.
^^^ what he said, it's a white wire with a purple strip. It powers both my topper and tailgate third brake light.

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
alphaobd software lists a topper 3rd brake as an output and is turned on in the options on my 2014 RAM

OP
OP
svfd

svfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Never thought to look in alfaobd. Guess I need to check to see if that is an option for my year.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may be an option "if all else fails". I asked a similar question about connecting a receiver hitch "RAM logo brake light unit" to the factory harness. My old 03 SLT had a spare connection hiding in the right rear area of the chassis for connecting a "4 prong" trailer lighting harness or anything else you would like semi related to brake lights and such. Not so for new 2018. The solution, and a extremely clean install was the Curt Trailer harness. Here's a link to that post which shows the install to a degree. It may or may not help you with your topper brake light but.......

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/receiver-hitch-brake-light-connection.131748/#post-1908422

T.