thought ram was slower than should be..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't read all the suggestions and what not but I have a few questions and a few suggestions:

1st, are you going to be racing the truck? I see a lot of 0-60 and 1/4 mile references...is that just because you feel the truck is slow and wanted a baseline to test it? This is somewhat important to my suggestions, lol.

It is hard to discuss 1/4 mile times because there are so many variables such as driver, reaction time, transmission, track conditions, altitude, weather conditions, tires, suspension mods, engine mods, and so forth.

If you feel the truck is sluggish and not running right and you just bought it and is under warranty, id say take it back and verify there isn't a tune on the vehicle, ensure the PCM is stock, and all that good stuff.

Second suggestion would be to replace the "race" muffler, whatever that is.

Third suggestion would be to do a tune up...plugs, clean the throttle body, replace the air filter, change the oil, replace the fuel filter, and so forth to ensure it isn't something dumb.

You mentioned 87 octane, my owners manual recommends 89 and that's what I run.

That's all I got right now. I have a 2014 and compared to my last truck, this thing flys.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks! Yeah, just feels sluggish. No formal races, but would like to make the trip to go to a track at least a few times.

I will have the dealer verify about the tune. I was thinking the module had to be connected or something, wasn't sure about that.

I will also do a full tune-up, so I can keep track.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Altitude makes a BIG difference in naturally aspirated engines... 4000' will suck away a lot of power.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
You keep mentioning a cold air intake and exhaust...without a tune, the gains on those two mods is negligible. As a matter of fact, you may lose low end performance with a freer flowing exhaust. As stated before, a tune and gears will do wonders for your truck. Then add on from there.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A guy at work just bought that same truck but with 3.92's. It's not slow, feels quick but not as quick as my 8 speed that's heavier and 3.21's. 8 speed is totally awesome.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Years ago(and I mean lots of years ago)I raced in Colo at about 5000 ft. On average at that altitude you lose about .3 to .5 of a sec's in a quarter and about 4-7 mph just because of the altitude. At 4000ft I would expect something similar. I know you are not very close to a drag strip, but I will mention again without a exact baseline all your doing is guessing at the performance. Seat of the pants performance measurements are usually in direct proportion to the amount of money you spent of the mod you are testing--the more money invested, the faster your truck "feels". Been there, tried that, and got a t-shirt to prove it!!!!
Jay

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You keep mentioning a cold air intake and exhaust...without a tune, the gains on those two mods is negligible. As a matter of fact, you may lose low end performance with a freer flowing exhaust. As stated before, a tune and gears will do wonders for your truck. Then add on

Last edited:
OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
ALSO: I want to get it where it needs to be, baseline, before I start modding it.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with above, make sure it isn't running a fuel efficiency program.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Apparently I run from 5700 to 6300 DA, depending on the time of the day, so that, at least, counts for a lot of it. Maybe it's a perfect storm of DA, needing a tuneup, and an idiot who doesn't know how to drive it?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apparently I run from 5700 to 6300 DA, depending on the time of the day, so that, at least, counts for a lot of it. Maybe it's a perfect storm of DA, needing a tuneup, and an idiot who doesn't know how to drive it?

DA is a LOT of the equation.

Here is a decent vid explaining your situation.

If you want performance at altitude, consider going forced induction, that will help restore the power you've lost.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 V6 Perf Pac Mustang. Lots of Mustang guys have dynoed their cars. That car should have put 265 hp to the rear wheels.

I have a Pro Charger on my V6 Mustang. I opted for a fairly mild tune. I want the car to last, and be worth a little something when I sell it . 393hp at the rear wheels.

Th Standard rear end on a 13 V6 Mustang is a 2.73! Talk about being geared too tall! My Perf Pac has a 3.31 rear end in it, which by comparison is still SHORTER than the 4.10s in my 11 Ram. The difference between the 2.73, and the 3.31 in the Mustang is huge!

I don't care if you have a 8 speed.... those 3.21 are sucking the life out of your truck.

Feeling is subjective. What feels fast to one guy is a disappointment to the next. Get real numbers. Get to that Dyno.

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Standard rear end on a 13 V6 Mustang is a 2.73!

That's because Ford wants to sell more Mustang GTs. If the six cylinder 'stangs had better rear gears the performance difference between the V6 and V8 wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

Lonnie Howell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was you, I would run a compression test and verify all cylinders are where they should be. While you have the plugs out see if any look abnormal and replace with new plugs. Then I would run a can of seafoam through the intake, several YouTube videos on how to do it properly. The hemis PCV system sucks a lot oil through the intake and if it doesn't have a catch can it could be coked up.

Palomba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a ton of stuff going on in this thread that makes me sick to my stomach. First off. Ditch the stop watch, Use a programmer or take it to the track for your times. Its super inconsistent, to many variables. If the truck has lacking that much power it would have issues and would set lights and all kinds of stuff. Im willing to bet your trucks fine. Ditch the cheap muffler for something better, hemis loose a lot of low end torque when you delete the muffler or run a very short straight through setup without tuning and supporting mods, they like back pressure a bit. Get to the track for some real numbers, i think you will be surprised at how terrible your stop watch timing is working for you. Also that high elevation, with bad DA will make it feel slow also. Your trucks not low on compression or have any issues.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for the info.

Not sure on the muffler, it looks like a flowmaster super 10, but it's definitely small (sounds great, though). I am going to get it redone because they exhaust pipes are crooked and look stupid. Any ideas on a full setup? ie: leave the cats, replace them, remove them, etc. I am going to a highly recommended "performance muffler shop", so they will be able to do whatever.

I have a obdII deal coming so I can get better times...track is a couple hours away and I won't be able to go any time soon, unfortunately.

Maybe it's all in my head, and hands.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You’re wife’s beetle is turbocharged which will make a difference. Forced induction vehicles won’t suffer at altitude as much as a naturally aspirated engine will.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a 2013 V6 Perf Pac Mustang. Lots of Mustang guys have dynoed their cars. That car should have put 265 hp to the rear wheels.

I have a Pro Charger on my V6 Mustang. I opted for a fairly mild tune. I want the car to last, and be worth a little something when I sell it . 393hp at the rear wheels.

Th Standard rear end on a 13 V6 Mustang is a 2.73! Talk about being geared too tall! My Perf Pac has a 3.31 rear end in it, which by comparison is still SHORTER than the 4.10s in my 11 Ram. The difference between the 2.73, and the 3.31 in the Mustang is huge!

I don't care if you have a 8 speed.... those 3.21 are sucking the life out of your truck.

Feeling is subjective. What feels fast to one guy is a disappointment to the next. Get real numbers. Get to that Dyno.

I think the difference with the 8 speeds are the actual transmission ratios. The 1st gear is 4.75, compared to a 3.00 ratio in the 5/6 speeds. So really, a 3.00 first gear with a 3.92 rear end is still less then a 4.75 1st gear and a 3.21 rear end. It’s the best of both worlds, good get up in go in the low gears without having high rpms on the highway from the rear gears being very short

I Bleed Ram Trucks