Thoughts after 1st Tow - 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coming from a 3rd gen 6.7 I knew I was giving up loads of torque so I have been eagerly & nervously awaiting my first longer distance tow. Fuel mileage result is typically 2-3 MPGs worse with the Hemi in all situations combined. I don't tow this heavy a ton, which is why I switched back to gas (used to have a 5.7 1/2 ton). I like the street manners of gas. Also, not paying interest on the $9k or even better yet investing it to earn some retirement $ was the wise choice for my situation. All combined with the trailer, machines, bed full of firewood, cargo, etc I was towing around 9,000lbs. Drove from KCMO area into the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas.

With tow haul locking out 6th I cruised between 70-75MPH at ~2500 RPMs which isn't diesel lugging, but isn't bad either. I'd get an occasional downshift to 4th where she perked up to about 3000 RPMs but did so smoothly and quietly. Averaged about 10 MPGs for the entire trip whereas my diesel would have gotten 12-13. Getting into the Ozark mountains and driving over the steep and twisty pig trail (hwy 23) it also did well. That is cruising anywhere from 5-40 mph up or down grades and around tight corners. It pulled without much fuss. Wasn't as easy as my diesel, but had plenty of umpffff for everything I did and I don't ever remember using more than half throttle. One thing I noticed was the gas engine lets you know if you're driving into a head wind or if it's at your back. When driving into a headwind you can tell you're working it harder. With the wind at your back it tows noticeably easier. In my old diesel, other than fuel consumption, I never noticed the difference.

Do I miss the pulling ease of my diesel? Absolutely. Would I buy the 6.4 if I had to do it again? I would. Hope this is helpful to anyone else considering the 6.4.

IMG_20180426_171551494_HDR.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nice write up on real world experience. My 6.4L did OK towing my load but it did struggle some and when I had to replace it I just decided to invest a bit more in the purchase of the new truck.

Congrats on a successful tow and trip.

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coming from a 3rd gen 6.7 I knew I was giving up loads of torque so I have been eagerly & nervously awaiting my first longer distance tow. Fuel mileage result is typically 2-3 MPGs worse with the Hemi in all situations combined. I don't tow this heavy a ton, which is why I switched back to gas (used to have a 5.7 1/2 ton). I like the street manners of gas. Also, not paying interest on the $9k or even better yet investing it to earn some retirement $ was the wise choice for my situation. All combined with the trailer, machines, bed full of firewood, cargo, etc I was towing around 9,000lbs. Drove from KCMO area into the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas.

With tow haul locking out 6th I cruised between 70-75MPH at ~2500 RPMs which isn't diesel lugging, but isn't bad either. I'd get an occasional downshift to 4th where she perked up to about 3000 RPMs but did so smoothly and quietly. Averaged about 10 MPGs for the entire trip whereas my diesel would have gotten 12-13. Getting into the Ozark mountains and driving over the steep and twisty pig trail (hwy 23) it also did well. That is cruising anywhere from 5-40 mph up or down grades and around tight corners. It pulled without much fuss. Wasn't as easy as my diesel, but had plenty of umpffff for everything I did and I don't ever remember using more than half throttle. One thing I noticed was the gas engine lets you know if you're driving into a head wind or if it's at your back. When driving into a headwind you can tell you're working it harder. With the wind at your back it tows noticeably easier. In my old diesel, other than fuel consumption, I never noticed the difference.

Do I miss the pulling ease of my diesel? Absolutely. Would I buy the 6.4 if I had to do it again? I would. Hope this is helpful to anyone else considering the 6.4.

View attachment 126978

Thank you for your feedback. I lucked into a deal of a lifetime on a 35’ 2018 rv trailer -9750 , while I’m currently using my 17 1500 this year. , in the spring I’ll be purchasing a new 2500
6.4. 4:10 4x4 through my business as the official towing truck . I’m not looking for as much as improvement in performance as much as I am stability on the road . I’m currently in a quad cab 4/4 3:92 with.
- Corsa catback
- vararam air intake
- long tube headers and high flow catted y - pipe
-89 octane jay Greene towing tune
- airbags in coils
-hellwig sway bar
-12,000 lb sway control load leveling hitch

Honestly it pulls very ,very good but with your review I’m looking forward to the 2500

OP
OP
C

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your feedback. I lucked into a deal of a lifetime on a 35’ 2018 rv trailer -9750 , while I’m currently using my 17 1500 this year. , in the spring I’ll be purchasing a new 2500
6.4. 4:10 4x4 through my business as the official towing truck . I’m not looking for as much as improvement in performance as much as I am stability on the road . I’m currently in a quad cab 4/4 3:92 with.
- Corsa catback
- vararam air intake
- long tube headers and high flow catted y - pipe
-89 octane jay Greene towing tune
- airbags in coils
-hellwig sway bar
-12,000 lb sway control load leveling hitch

Honestly it pulls very ,very good but with your review I’m looking forward to the 2500
Yes the 2500 makes all the difference. The 1500 I had 2 trucks ago seemed like it had car suspension really. Great for cruising empty, put much weight in it and you could tell. I've carried some heavy loads in the 2500 trucks now and it is a night and day difference. And I'll be honest, the coil suspension in these 2500s rides outstanding for an HD truck. Light years better than my 3rd gen. leaf spring truck. I hear the question every so often, why would anyone buy a 2500 gas truck? So far it fits the bill perfectly for me.

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There were no 6.4L's around here when I purchased my 5.7L 2500, I went used with low mileage. I average about 9.5mpg towing our lite 5th wheel to Disney, about 9,000lbs. Would prefer the 6.4L but I still think both gasers do very well while towing.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Excellent and helpful real world write up on 6.4 Hemi. Got back yesterday from our first tow run with our 2018 Ram 2500 HD 66E auto 2WD SLT. We have owned Ram trucks since 1986. This truck may well be the best we have ever owned. Drove from Central Ca to the coast just below San Simon. Read owners manual carefully. Easy to set trailer brakes and put in tow mode. With only 3000 miles the trans is still learning how we drive. However the trans worked perfect. With 6th gear locked out the engine RPM range was 1500 to 2200 on grades. Gas mileage was as expected until engine has more miles. CMV makes great point. Our fully loaded horse/camp trailer is 8350 lbs. Well below the trucks max tow rate. I do not have to deal with DEF, diesel fuel that runs 20-30 cents more than 89 grade gas and a $10,000 option. In our area most of the 2500 Ram trucks are Diesel 4x4 Larmies. They run $55-$65K. Our $35k SLT does exactly what we need it to do.

cmac7203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is your 6.4 a 3.73 or 4.10? I am searching for a 4.10 to pull my 8,800 lb camper and they are more rare than hen’s teeth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You get about the same fuel economy towing 9000 lbs as I get empty.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I pulled my gooseneck flatbed with SxS to Prescott Valley on Thursday. Lots of curves, and grades, at elevations reaching >6K, and my 6.4 struggled to maintain 50 mph, spending a fair bit of time in 3rd gear, and a bit in second. Averaged a bit over 8 mpg. Trailer weighs 5K, SxS <2K, so about 14K combined. Truck has 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was extremely please with my first tow with the 6.4/.410 rear... after I re-adjusted my WDH. Bars were overly tight, causing the truck to buck like a bronco... and making my wife angry after dropping 40k on a new tow vehicle. Once adjusted - everything was smooth and easy. If it wasn't for the anti sway - they are not even really needed at all.

8200# trailer + 5 people and gear - 700 mile pull thru the east coast mountain hills... was worried after reading the threads about poor shifting, Ram must have addressed this in 18'. Cruise set at 63, tow haul mode on, truck stayed dead on 63 in the hills. Dropped to 3rd smoothly and settled in at 3500 RPM on the long climbs, engine braked just enough on the down hills to maintain speed. Truck/computer did all the work... Some climbs were 3+ miles, trans temp stayed put at 170. My 10 speed in the 1500 would vary 20+ degree pulling the same load on flat land.

Power was there when needed, and when driving manually - had to let off the gas on the hills as it wanted to accelerate. Plenty of power for passing as well.

Our destination had many 10-12% grades on the side roads - pulled right up them with no problems at all.

9.5 mpg per the lie-o-meter. IMHO, worrying about MPG in a 2500 4WD CC with 8' bed is futile - didn't buy the truck for economy...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I don't necessarily sweat the mpg, but range is a definite issue. It can be a long ways between fuel stops in remote areas, and the factory tank is too small. I have yet to find an aftermarket tank for the gassers. If this truck can pull my toyhauler, I will install a Transferflow transfer tank. Otherwise, back to a Cummins.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I transport TTs for Airstream & other Mfgs plant to dealerships throughout the continental 48. Company I contract through normally won’t hire someone with a gas truck because of fuel cost to tow & engine truck dependability or longevity and depreciation. He wants long term and profitable contractors.

Anyway recently first time in the four years I’ve been here he contracted an older guy that drove with us before who currently owns a gasser, the 6.4 with 4.10s. I got to do a run with him towing Airstreams. My truck is an 8 speed 3.92 Ecodiesel with tune & turbo brake. We even swapped trucks for a tank full.

First impressions his truck even without proper set up IE no WDH (I use WDH with built in sway control & axle to frame airbags and set the axle & tongue weight per scale results if I’m not already acclimated to the particular trailer) was as stable as mine despite his trailer swaying a bit at speed. The stiffer platform and more weight helps a lot. It still would be smart for him to use a WDH. Also it did ride more harsh which I’m sure would wear on you when towing our typical 12 hour day.

The second impression was crap no range. He would have to get a gas pump type transfer tank and since it’s gas hide it below a tonneau or something so as DOT doesn’t come down on him. Stopping constantly for fuel wasted a lot of time. He is going back to a diesel but it was a cool experience for me.

The third bigger thing was naturally fuel economy. We ran 65. He mostly got 9 sometimes 9.5 and we didn’t hit any wind. Mine mostly did 15.0 one tank 15.4. But in fairness his trailer was 3’ longer & 5 to 6 hundred pounds heavier.

Power was more similar than different. Mine pulled better leaving a light his was stronger above 55.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine was just sitting on the lot that way... dealer said they order a few each year, mostly for the snow plow crowd. Tradesman CC with 8' bed and snow chief package - which I think comes with the 410.

Mine is a tradesman crew cab, snow chief and i have 3.73s. I'd prefer 4.10s.but the difference is so minimal and I'm not towing heavy with mine so the 73s are fine. If i ever re gear I'm going to 4.40s or 4.56s.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The problem with lower(higher numerical)gearing when towing is the programming of the transmission causes it to spend a lot of time in fourth/direct, so it ends up revving to the moon. My truck is very reluctant to shift into fifth when pulling.

William Fabinski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the tip. I try to add 4.10 gears online and it says that I have to order dual rear wheels. Ill make sure to try harder.