Thuren lift rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
I’m considering the thuren 1.5 inch lift. Only thing holding me back is I don’t want to just lift the front. For those that are going with the thuren 1.5 up front what are you doing for the rear? I like the stock rake and don’t want to lift the front without the rear. Also at what size lift do you need radius arms?
Random question. The power wagon comes from factory with a 2 inch lift. Are the front radius arms the same as the ones on the other rams? I’ve always felt the steering is a tad sloppy which could be lower caster. Having a lift with the stock control arms could easily cause that. Adding more lift would just make it worse. Thoughts?
Thanks a ton!

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 1.5" Thuren front coils and put in a 1" rear coil spacer. I have an ARE truck cap that is probably a little heavier than typical and thought it looked a little squatted with just the front lifted.
The front radius arms are different on a PW compared to a regular 2500. I do not know what length differences may be between them, but the PW does have the extra joint where the arm attaches to the axle which presumably allows it to flex more. In general the PW suspension is setup for the factory "lift" so going an extra 1.5" on a PW shouldn't be any different than going up 1.5" on a regular 2500.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m considering the thuren 1.5 inch lift. Only thing holding me back is I don’t want to just lift the front. For those that are going with the thuren 1.5 up front what are you doing for the rear? I like the stock rake and don’t want to lift the front without the rear. Also at what size lift do you need radius arms?
Random question. The power wagon comes from factory with a 2 inch lift. Are the front radius arms the same as the ones on the other rams? I’ve always felt the steering is a tad sloppy which could be lower caster. Having a lift with the stock control arms could easily cause that. Adding more lift would just make it worse. Thoughts?
Thanks a ton!
I was in this same boat, really wanted a 3/4" spacer in rear to give it slightly less rake than stock after adding my 1.5" Thuren front lift. Could only find 1" rear, didn't get a rear lift yet and with the front lift, I am pleased with outcome. It still has a little rake, just not as much obviously as stock.

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
1” spacer in rear for me - Pretty much dead level but I have a lot of other factors at play (front bumper, no winch cradle, bed rack, etc).

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same here, 1.5 up front, but added the ReadyLift 66-1211 1'' Rear Coil Spring Spacer Kit in the rear. Sits a bit less than stock height, but looks perfect IMO. If you haul or tow heavy, u may need to add bags to avoid the saggy balls. Running 37” tires with 18” rims plus all 2.5 King shocks, I don’t think that matters much on the height though….

Need a rear track bar.. no, but it made a difference in handling. I got the front too including the HD links front and back. I got my trans oil flushed a few weeks ago at a 4x4 off road shop and the owner told me this is the best riding/handling 2500 he has ever driven…..kudos to Thurens complete setup.

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The PW arms have the articulink. They are same length and bolt up identical as non pw arms.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
The PW arms have the articulink. They are same length and bolt up identical as non pw arms.

Has anyone checked what the caster is from stock? Seeing this it’s gotta be lower than non pw rams.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone checked what the caster is from stock? Seeing this it’s gotta be lower than non pw rams.
I think they are all over the map from the factory. Just adjust to where you want, there is plenty of adjustment even without drop brackets. That is why thuren dosnt even put them in his kits.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thuren needs to step up his game and make some 1.5" rear coils to match the front. for now all you can do is add the 1" spacer above the coil. traxda has them. you can also make your own easy enough is your handy.
youll keep the factory radius arms and dont use drop brackets.
for the caster just adjust it one more mark to the rear after the new springs are on. mine was at 5* originally and i just adjusted it one more mark after coils was on. drives great.
might have to check rear crossmember to driveshaft clearance as longer shocks let the axle swing lower

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
only drop brackets and arms ive seen are from carli for the 2021. I could be wrong but I do not think they are adjustable. They also require drilling into the frame.
I guess also yeah I can piece out kits, but I have a feeling thuren or carli, or etc. is much smarter at putting together an inclusive kit. I would go with thuren right away if I was confident thats all I would need to get it dialed in right.

Just thinking out loud power wagon lift plus thuren is 3.5 inch above a factory ram. I would guess caster will be low and make the steering more sloppy. IMO steering is great for what it is, but overall I feel it does have a little slop.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you dont piece anything. thuren has front and rear coils, front and rear tracbars and 4 shocks. the only other thing is 1" rear spacer from traxda.
have a shop just do a print out of the caster before changing the coils for reference. then move the cams back a mark or so after.
slopy steering is probly the wallowy tires and suspension, not any of the joints. people arent used to the pw suspension and ya it feels a bit mushy compared to other vehicles

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks a ton!
With Thuren front coils and stock rear you'll still have slight rake in front. Also, if you plan to haul or tow regularly, then the rear OE coils is probably best left alone. If you put the Thuren rear coils, it'll be pretty damn close to level. However, the trade off is your tow/haul capability will be more 1/2 ton like w/o a WDH or bags (squat). According to Thuren as long as the lift is under 3.5 inches, then the geometry is fine. Over that requires drop brackets, etc to restore. Probably should read up on Thuren Web site in the "Plan your build section." He explains all the issues and fixes. I'm running the old Overland Extreme kit with King 2.5s and I can attest ride, handling, and off road performance is improved, but towing/hauling took a hit. OTOH, this is not a tow vehicle for heavy long-haul towing or carrying heavy loads.

Steering on 3/4 tons and up are sloppy to begin with and will get worse as the steering gear wears. You might tighten it up with a steering brace, not clear to me if they're worth it or not, many run them and so do I. Could upgrade the box to a beefier unit like Red Head or a unit from Dethloff, if he has any in stock. I have one from Dethloff (a PSC unit) with hydra-assist. Very nice when off road, but it does get a little hard on the street when making slow speed turns and engine is near idle/lower RPMs.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sepp you got a few things wrong . the 3.5" before needing drop brackets is refering to non pw trucks. pw is already a bit higher, radius arms at a steeper angle etc. thats why he only lifts the pw ~1.5".
OP could keep the oe rear coils but still he needs a spacer if he wants the stockish rake. a level pw is 100% useless for hauling anything but a loaf of bread. leveling is best left for the mall dozers

his truck is new i thought. joints should be tight as a nuns rearend and mimic the steering wheel input. problem, as i said before is tires, suspension and shocks. because of that, you will not have a stable precise feel like many other vehicles. alot of people probly get disappointed because theres a ton of body roll and steering is not crisp, which only gets much worse with larger tires that have more sidewall. has nothing to do with steering gearbox which his is new

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
sepp you got a few things wrong . the 3.5" before needing drop brackets is refering to non pw trucks. pw is already a bit higher, radius arms at a steeper angle etc. thats why he only lifts the pw ~1.5".
OP could keep the oe rear coils but still he needs a spacer if he wants the stockish rake. a level pw is 100% useless for hauling anything but a loaf of bread. leveling is best left for the mall dozers

his truck is new i thought. joints should be tight as a nuns rearend and mimic the steering wheel input. problem, as i said before is tires, suspension and shocks. because of that, you will not have a stable precise feel like many other vehicles. alot of people probly get disappointed because theres a ton of body roll and steering is not crisp, which only gets much worse with larger tires that have more sidewall. has nothing to do with steering gearbox which his is new

Thanks for the input. I thought that squishy was maybe decreased caster from a lift with stock length arms. By the way I love this trucks ride. I just feel she wants to wander a bit more than the other solid axles I’ve had. I don’t think thuren has lift coils for the 21. The trackbar offered by them is fixed so doesn’t solve that one. Just learning here. I want to do it once and right.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

his truck is new i thought. joints should be tight as a nuns rearend and mimic the steering wheel input. problem, as i said before is tires, suspension and shocks. because of that, you will not have a stable precise feel like many other vehicles. a lot of people probly get disappointed because theres a ton of body roll and steering is not crisp, which only gets much worse with larger tires that have more sidewall. has nothing to do with steering gearbox which his is new
Could be wrong, but the PW is 1.5-2 in. with factory lift over regular 2500 4WD and adding a 1.5 in. lift Thuren coil is still under the 3.5 in. "threshold." My truck's pinion angle and front shaft is in line, the track bar and drag link are parallel, toe set to zero, caster to correct position both sides. I run 35 in. tires and it handles well on pavement. People that have driven cars and 1/2t trucks with R&P steering and get into an HD truck with power assist steering, draglink and tie rod, and steering gear box are not going have the same driving experience.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input. I thought that squishy was maybe decreased caster from a lift with stock length arms. By the way I love this trucks ride. I just feel she wants to wander a bit more than the other solid axles I’ve had. I don’t think thuren has lift coils for the 21. The trackbar offered by them is fixed so doesn’t solve that one. Just learning here. I want to do it once and right.
You cant lengthen from the stock pw trackbar length at all unless you put in bumpstop bracket. There will be interference issues otherwise.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thuren lists springs up to MY22. Front track bar is adjustable. The rear track is fixed length. I doubt the caster is causing that. If they are out of whack, the truck will lean to one side or other. In fact most alignment shops, including dealers, are incapable of setting the caster correct. Not sure what squishy is describing. If you install Thuren springs, in all likelihood your factory setting will be fine, assuming no one has had their hands on it.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
We have other trucks. One being a ram 3500 diesel and it steers pretty different. Steering feels tighter is best way I can describe. Which led me to feel there’s something with the pw suspension. Duh right lol. I guess I thought maybe the stock lift brought down the caster a bit. Hence I didn’t want to make it worse lifting further. Maybe I missed it but I don’t see lift springs for the PW on thuren a site. Was just a train if thought. Driven plenty of HD trucks with sfa

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

the stock tires are just D rated so theyre a bit soft in the side wall.
new tires can wander a bit until they get some miles. the duratrac pattern could be more prone to wander as well. honestly i took the stock tires off right away for another brand so i cant really say how well the duratrac handles but ive a feeling its squishy.
thuren rear tracbar doesnt need to be adjustable. even with small spacer your axle will be darn close to centered.