timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My clatter thread got nothing so I'm going different direction. I have been doing research the past few days and came up with a very few 09-11s that are clattering like crazy while coasting and mds is on. Turn mds off and it goes away. I read that it's possible for when it goes into mds that under no load the chain can actually go slack and ware into the guides causeing it to be noisy anyone else herd of this? Also read about guys and there dealers chaseing lifters push rods And mds solinoids for the noise to only come back after few hundred miles to a month. Even seen some go as far as changing cam and cylinder heads( with little luck on the cam and 0 luck with cylinder heads). Any insight would be apprishated.

Last edited:

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Multi-Displacement System. The computer shuts down four cylinders when when the load doesn't require a V8 to save on gas....theoretically. It's been a part of the Hemi line since 2004 and with the Rams since 2006.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I remember reading about the 09-12 Challengers with the 5.7 having the same problems...believe a recall was done but it didn't apply to the Rams. The Challengers had the same symptoms...clattering with MDS but drove fine with it off.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=challenger hemi timing chain guide

It seems like this effects very few rams I'm hVing hard time finding any information on it. I found 1 good thread on another site That had about 4-5 other guys that have had this issue. For now I'm probably just going to run in manual mode for now and hope nothing happens as I haven't found any one That has had negative effect from it other than noise. I know it's not right but I don't like mds anyways.

Sorry about the newbie question; what's "MDS"?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

MDS stands for multi displacement system it shut down 4 cylinders under light load to help fuel economy.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I remember reading about the 09-12 Challengers with the 5.7 having the same problems...believe a recall was done but it didn't apply to the Rams. The Challengers had the same symptoms...clattering with MDS but drove fine with it off.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=challenger hemi timing chain guide

I remember reading about that not long after I got my truck but like you said It didn't involve Rams. I think it had to do with the older MDS.

Mine 09 is fine though and being on this forum a while I don't recall many post about it.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like this effects very few rams I'm hVing hard time finding any information on it. I found 1 good thread on another site That had about 4-5 other guys that have had this issue. For now I'm probably just going to run in manual mode for now and hope nothing happens as I haven't found any one That has had negative effect from it other than noise. I know it's not right but I don't like mds anyways.

MDS stands for multi displacement system it shut down 4 cylinders under light load to help fuel economy.
Ahh- thank you so much for that- Chris[emoji2]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I remember reading about that not long after I got my truck but like you said It didn't involve Rams. I think it had to do with the older MDS.

Mine 09 is fine though and being on this forum a while I don't recall many post about it.

I found 1 thread I didn't start and it had maybe 3 comments it dosent seen common here I wish I knew 100% it was the chain and guide but I don't and I don't want to chase parts

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe oil control valve. Do you have any codes at all?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed for the info .
I haven't heard of this before.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you change the timing "chain" to timing "gears" on the 5.7 Hemi? Many years ago I did it to my 1992 Z28 for two reasons; 1) more durable 2) sounded awesome (like the whine from a blower).

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an assumption but if you don't hear it while MDS is off (you are in manual) than it makes me think it's not happening so couldn't you just get a tuner and turn the MDS off and then drive normally??

Granted I know it doesn't get to the root of the issue but it would help in the interim.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just an assumption but if you don't hear it while MDS is off (you are in manual) than it makes me think it's not happening so couldn't you just get a tuner and turn the MDS off and then drive normally??

Granted I know it doesn't get to the root of the issue but it would help in the interim.

Running in manual mode at the moment don't want to buy a tuner just yet. I'm working on a oil analysit and I'm going to see how much metal I'm putting through there. If it comes back normal in going to get a tuner and shut it off. It more than there is suppose to be I will be in the market for new truck probably.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Can you change the timing "chain" to timing "gears" on the 5.7 Hemi? Many years ago I did it to my 1992 Z28 for two reasons; 1) more durable 2) sounded awesome (like the whine from a blower).

I'm not sure someone probably does but if I were to replace it I would just go back to oem cheeper and it made it 150k so far I would be surprised if I make it another 150 with this truck.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Running in manual mode at the moment don't want to buy a tuner just yet. I'm working on a oil analysit and I'm going to see how much metal I'm putting through there. If it comes back normal in going to get a tuner and shut it off. It more than there is suppose to be I will be in the market for new truck probably.

When are you getting the analysis?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have not really about it on Ram.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I will I only have 1000 miles on this oil change so I will try to push it out to 3k and probably use black stone or wix has a kit.